UKC

NEWS: Gravity magazine turns shade of green

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 07 Nov 2006
The newly launched Gravity magazine chooses environmentally friendly printer.

This follows on from the decision of the USA's Alpinist and Climbing magazines' decision to use recycled paper earlier this year.

More in the news:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Jon Barton 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
I dont agree with Gravity magazines statement that there are no good quality, environmentally sensitive recycled papers, and the inference that recycling is a waste of time, and don't even get me started on so called 'sustainable forestry'. We print millions of items per year and use a range of recycled material - no complaints yet about the quality of our printing. If Gravity want to make an environmental statement - use post consumer waste recycled papers.
 SecretSquirrel 08 Nov 2006
In reply to Jon Barton:
I'm with you on this one. If its good enough quality paper available for established magazines like Alpinist & Climbing then why not Gravity?

If they can't source high quality recycled paper that is cost effective for them to keep the magazine free then thats a separate issue and I don't think anybody would critise them for that.
 UKC Gear 08 Nov 2006
In reply to SecretSquirrel:
> (In reply to Jon Barton)

> If they can't source high quality recycled paper that is cost effective for them to keep the magazine free then thats a separate issue and I don't think anybody would critise them for that.

That is the dilema that Alpinist faced until they got Patagonia to underwrite the costs.

"Magazine production in the US results in the logging of more than 35 million trees per year. Deforestation releases carbon dioxide, one of the main causes of global warming. Magazines that end up in landfills give off methane, another major greenhouse gas, as they decompose.

Alpinist has been fortunate since our start to publish a magazine our readers want to hold on to. More than 90% of Alpinist readers keep their back copies, by far the highest percentage of any climbing magazine. But this by itself wasn’t enough, so in Spring 2006, Alpinist’s Issue 15 became the first climbing magazine to be published on 50% recycled, total chlorine-free paper, using sustainable forestry for the remaining paper. Coupled with our archival-quality production values, our Earth Ink Sustainable Publishing program made us the outdoor industry’s first sustainably published magazine.

Then we got the printer’s bill. Ouch. As much as wanted to, our little climbing company couldn’t afford the more than $6,000 per issue recycled content paper added to our costs. Our ideals took a back seat to hard economic reality, and we spent the next six months looking for a partner progressive enough to support our return to our ideals.

In the middle of August, 2006, Patagonia stepped in. They signed on as our Earth Ink partner, allowing us to get back to recycled content at an even higher percentage than we had used before. Starting with Issue 18, Alpinist is publishing on 100% recycled paper. Together with our archival quality, we’re once again right where we want to be: preserving the places of our inspiration even as we celebrate them in print."

http://www.alpinist.com/p/earth_ink

Emily Goodman 13 Nov 2006
In reply to UKC Gear: I think its great that magazines like this are 'trying to do their bit for the environment by going green', but having just picked up the second issue of gravity from the climbing wall (which I really enjoyed reading and thought the photos were way better than the first issue), why does every copy have to be wrapped up in plastic? Surely this is bad for the environment? The fist thing anyone does to be able to read the magazine is tear off the plastic and throw it in the bin - a big waster. Its not as if there are any leaflets inserted with the mag to keep them all in place either. I can understand it might keep a bit of chalk off the magazine, it being in a climbing wall and all but is it really necessary or am I missiing some other reason?
Emily
 Reaver2k 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Where can I get Gravity magazine? Do I have to get it the minute its released in places like Outside, does it not have it, or am I just missing it? It's free right? Cant find it anywhere!
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: you've got mail.
Brian Darby 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Reaver2k:

You can pick up a copy of Gravity from over 70 distributors nationwide.

Outside in Hathersage and Curbar stock it, but due to the fact that they are free they disappear fast. Some climbing centre's receive 150 a month and they run out after three or four days.

Unfortunately, at this stage we simply can't afford to print any more each month, we currently send out 11500 copies every month to distributors and send out 300 to subscribers. This leaves about 200 spare at the office to send out to advertisers or to keep for back issues.

Gravity magazine is primarily funded by advertising, and until we secure more of the same then we can't increase the distribution figure and keep it FREE.

A note about the polywrap:

We wanted to present the magazine in such a fashion that people would pick it up and take it away with them, as opposed to simply thumbing it on the counter. The polywrap ensures that it stays clean and pristine.

Hopefully future issues will include flyers or freebies and polywrap will most definately be needed. We will look again at polywrap for issues that don't have inserts.

Brian

Simon 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Brian Darby:

Great issue 3 Brian!

- Pics and the articles are good - one minor blip in that its Rich Mayfield at Millstone on time for tea - not Lawrencefield - but hey ho!! - la di da an all all that!!

;0)

cheers

si

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...