UKC

Polarised Sunglasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hjonesy 13 Nov 2006

Can anybody recommend some decent polarised sunglasses that are UV a and b refective?

Am looking for a decent mid-price-range pair for an alpine trek.

Are there any brands in particular that are any good or is it mainly just Oakley?

Thanks.
Nao 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Hjonesy:
You, madam, are a gear freak.

What do you count as mid-price-range, and is this just a chance to gloat about yet another holiday you're off on?
Hjonesy 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Nao:

Lol. I am sat here looking at a big kit list I have been sent to get and trying to work my way through it now!

As I have spent a week feeling glum after returning from my last trip I now have to focus on the next one to get me through work days silly!

Mid-price-range I would see as being about £70. If there are good ones for less then I'm more than happy to get them obviously. I just don't want to be spending £100+ as I have so many other things to get too!
 galpinos 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Hjonesy:
>
> Are there any brands in particular that are any good or is it mainly just Oakley?
>

Ha ha! How wrong can you be. Oakley - overpriced tat (well, not tat but.....)

What catagory? I'm guessing Cat 2.

IMO, the bees knees - Smith, good lenses and cool styles.(but you'll pay a premium (though not as much as Oakley)

Otherwise, Arnettes, cebe, bolle, julbo.... the list is endless.

Just make sure they fit your face, won't fall off, block out light (ie. wrap around a bit) and see if you can steam them up.

Nao 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Hjonesy:
Do you need glasses or goggles? I always use goggles because I hate glasses, plus goggles stay on your face when boarding etc.

I have Cebe ones but my friend used to work for Bolle and used to get loads of cheap ones from there... apparently they're good. Oh and mine are kiddy ones which are cheaper than adult ones!
Hjonesy 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Nao:

Does your friend still get cheap ones?!?

Glasses are fine, don't need goggles.

Do you have kiddy ones because you are so ickle?
Nao 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Hjonesy:
Nah, he doesn't work there any more. Shame!
I have kiddy ones mainly 'cause my nose is the wrong shape! The adult ones have massive nose bits and it lets all the snow in!
Removed User 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Hjonesy:
Have a pair of Julbo's that have been a solid faithfull for about 10 years.
Hjonesy 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Removed User:

Yeah, they look quiet good. Was looking at the Colorados.

Might have to nip out at lunch and try some out.
In reply to Hjonesy: i've got bolles, which are cat 3, they are good for skiing, but not good enough for glaciers imo, you need cat 4. they most important thing is fit. mine fit my face well.

Julbo - the nomad cameleons look awsome
Smith
Oakley
Bolle
dirty dog

all make great glasses.
paulsimps 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Hjonesy: Hi, for altitude you need cat 4 lenses, ideally bolle 100 which block UVA & UVB & Infrared (polycarbonate lenses), or the cat 4 Julbo glasses or vuarnet px5000 glasses which have mineral lenses and are the darkess ones I've seen. These are all amber lenses and provide good contrast in all conditions. For an ordinary alpine trek (e.g. TMB or Tour Monte Rosa) cat 3 lenses will suffice and look at the polarised lenses from dirty dog or bolle. Both makes are high quality block UVA & UVB and are cheaper than Oakley. Enjoy your trip.
Hjonesy 13 Nov 2006
In reply to paulsimps:

tried on some Julbo X6 in Cotswold today and they seem fine. They're only £55 too which is below what I was estimating too! They seem pretty good too. Think I might go for them. They're category 4 too.
Hjonesy 13 Nov 2006
In reply to paulsimps:

thank you for the 'enjoy your trip' comment too. I hope I will fella!
paulsimps 14 Nov 2006
In reply to Hjonesy:Hi, Yes Julbo will be fine as long as they fit your face and don't let in light at the sides. Where abouts are you planning on going?
fiend$ish 14 Nov 2006
In reply to Hjonesy:

My Oakleys are polarised, sorry if you were after some less expensive suggestions!
matt25 15 Nov 2006
In reply to Hjonesy:
Julbos are pretty good, I have a pair from the eighties that look like Don Johnson would have worn them if he'd been into climbing. Might start wearing them again. I think Cebe are another budget brand which are quite good, but have never owned a set so this is conjecture. Oakleys are overpriced and unessecary unless the appearance is important to you.
M

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...