UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Taxus - Introduction to Winter Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JoH - Editor 13 Nov 2006
"A few grade I/II routes under my belt and I felt ready for anything. That was until I found myself halfway up Taxus, tied to a knife-blade piton and ice screw..."

Pete Etheridge takes us up this classic winter route.

Read more - http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=244
 Doug 13 Nov 2006
In reply to JoH - Editor: brings back memories of a day out with between exams & the start of the christmas holidays back in 1980. I think I was climbing with Neil Morrison (probably the first winter route we climbed together) along with Ian Duckworth & Pete Bilsborough. My memories have a move around a chockstone on the first pitch as the hardest move but I guess that banks out later in the season, the direct finish was the first time I'd climbed anything so long on water ice & the final pitch up to the summit was technically easy but seemed very insecure with no gear. Somewhere still have a photo of the sunset from the summit

net 13 Nov 2006
In reply to JoH - Editor: Nice one Pete! Sounds an ace route.
hebe 13 Nov 2006
In reply to JoH - Editor:

ooh pete youve got me all excited!!!!!!
DeadSquirrel 13 Nov 2006
In reply to Doug:
> My memories have a move around a chockstone on the first pitch as the hardest move but I guess that banks out later in the season,

It still was that day - the seasons seem to be getting later. The harder finish looked a lot thinner than when I did it before, so took the easy option this time!

Doughboy 17 Nov 2006
In reply to JoH - Editor:

Brilliant route that one, worth every star. We took a variant on the waterfall finish - a full 60mtr rope length traverse to the right above the waterfall, then up a near vertical and highly fluted wall, leading to a crap belay at the arete to the right of the true finish...was bloody scary with no gear but great fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...