UKC

Extreme Sledging

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Cooper 16 Nov 2006
Good Day all UKC users,

I am considering doing an 'Exteme sledging' adventure on Lochnagar this winter time. Looking to sledge the Black spout from top to bottom, and perhaps across the loch at the bottom as well,if it is fully frozen. Which Month is likely to yield the best conditions for this attempt - January, February or March? Looking to have the Gully packed full of snow, and possibly in Cat 4 avalanche conditions!my measurements are 76 Kg and around 1.75 metres tall - any sledges that will fit me? Also , braking is an issue for me - i think i might have to construct a brake or braking system for the sled for when it all goes Tits up - any ideas? An ice axe maybe, welded on to sled?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cooper
 london_huddy 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper: Get back under your bridge.
 Tom Last 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:

Sounds like fun.

But seriously, would you not be better off without the category 4 avalanche conditions.

Dangerous enough as it is.
Cooper 16 Nov 2006
In reply to hindu: You get back under your bridge - theres plenty to choose from in Scummy London. You're not very helpful in helping me achieve my quest! Ta ta.

Cooper
 Morgan Woods 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:

i thought this was going to be a thread about the upcoming Ashes series :0
Cooper 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper: Forgot to mention - i have around £100 to purchase or build the best sled for this adventure.

Cheers

Cooper
 Norrie Muir 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:

Also , braking is an issue for me - i think i might have to construct a brake or braking system for the sled for when it all goes Tits up - any ideas? An ice axe maybe, welded on to sled?
>
Brakes, what are you, a girlie?
 erikb56 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:
ignore the naysayers. the world needs visionarys. i suggest something in traditional wood. http://www.ntsled.com/assets/images/downhill.jpg
Cooper 16 Nov 2006
In reply to erikb56: Wow, that would be awesome to ride!Front protection as well! Maybe a bit of a bugger to get up, but i am sure the guys who will film me could do some of the carrying/Dragging. Where might i get such a model?

Cooper
wcdave 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper: Wouldn't it be better on a home made luge...eg a teatray. More scope for greater speeds surely.
Cooper 16 Nov 2006
In reply to wcdave: i wish to live! Using a tea tray will be far too dangerous and i'm not sure my BMC insurance will cover me - but sledging and Bobsleigh are covered,i a recognised sled, so i will stick with the sled. Cheers for the suggestion though.

Cooper
 lost1977 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:

http://www.gardengames.co.uk/acatalog/Garden_Games_Sledges_18.html

here you go and they fit in with your budget, personally like the davos for its trad styling
 beardy mike 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper: I would suggest that Eriks idea for a sledge is an extremely good one. Having done several descents myself, including some in the Cairngorms, the arctic, the Dolomites and beyond, I would say that for this type of run you will need the flat base so as to ride over the surface of the powder snow, rather than a traditional tobogan. This sort of run is about keeping on the move, rather than the aesthetics of beautifully carved turns, more of a balls out experience than the balletic poetry that can be found upon the toboggan run. In addition you may need the added benefit of protction from submerged rocks which can even through the sledge inflict woeful injuries (my friend still feels a twinge in his spine every time he coughs from a run which all went horribly wrong in the Gorms. Perhaps a collections of cushions would do the trick. Also remember that should you try to brake (although I can't imagine as Norrie says, why you would want to do this) or steer there will be snow flying in all directions. In this case a pair of skiing goggles would be exctremely useful... best of luck and make sure you post the video.
matt25 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:
I think it's important you wear a saucepan on your head. Not doing so would just be irresponsible.
M
matt25 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:

Or a collander.
 beardy mike 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper: In fact one of these might be even better...

http://www.kraxel.com/detail_1449.html
Cooper 16 Nov 2006
In reply to mike kann: Might tip over, sending me hurtling down the slope to my Death! A lower centre of gravity will prevent this from happening. Am going to Recce the Spout this weekend hopefully, to check for potential obstacles.

Cooper
 9fingerjon 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:

How about a large rubber ring?

You could "bounce" off the walls of the gully that way removing the inconvenience of steering.

Like this sort of thing - http://www.valcartier.com/page.aspx?GP=58&SID=80&LA=FR
 Philip M 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:

I built a sledge in the Alps last year. Got large wooden pallet and found an old set of skis. Screwed skis to pallet. (Never actually got to use it as I broke my arm skiing before I got a chance to use it). I reckon for powder you could mount another set of skis to give it more float. For control issues I was just relying on a lot of body armour and full face lid and bailing off the back.

Good luck. Sounds like a bit of fun
Phil
 Scomuir 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:
Use a bodyboard and go head first. You should be able to get a few good turns in on a good powder day before you break your neck, and you'll have a (slim) fighting chanch if it avalanches
 Mike C 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:

Sounds as about as feasible as skiing across Loch Morlich.

Then again, that's been done, so why not.
 Squirrel Bill 16 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper: When/If you succeed in accomplishing this, tell you mates to post your video on here.
 drunken monkey 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper: PMSL - You've just made my night. Please make sure you film it.
 Chris Fryer 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Scomuir: I like the idea. Cooper, there's a bodyboard gathering dust in my garage if you neeed it.
Dr.Strangeglove 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:
I find the large foam filled post protectors from ski-resorts make fine
'extreme sledges' Nothing quite like an icy red run at 3 am with
the piste bashers out.

had to use my head as a braking system though.
 Fume Troll 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Dr.Strangeglove: Wasn't there a darwin award for a guy who did that, and crashed into the post he'd removed the pad from?

Cheers,

FT.
Dr.Strangeglove 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Fume Troll:
I avoided that run the next day.
jan coggins 17 Nov 2006
Sledging Black Spout - erm have you seen Paul Raistrick's film Pushing Winter (2003) about snowboarding it!

Yes I think braking may be a little issue, but if you build a kicker out on the lochan you'd probably make it back to Loch Muick car park in a onner!

Have fun!
BigCol 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:

Why don't you try one of these plastic kayaks as a sledge, something like a Prijon Topolino, or even bigger, a Gattino? Full face motorbike helmet and some downhill bike armour on the arms and things should go ok...
FraserCam 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper: Bin liners work well, they are light and manageable, you could carry it up no problem. You wrap it round yourself like a nappy and park your arse on the snow. When you want to stop i guarantee it will have disintegrated before you get to the bottom. Sorted.
 baynes 17 Nov 2006
In reply to FraserCam: One of those big orange survival bags with a ice axe for a brake always worked perfectly for hurtling down the Cairngorm ski area, harder wearing than bin liners too.
 Scomuir 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Chris Fryer:
The reason I suggested it is because I thought about trying it myself. Then I sobered up.
 IainL 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper: You can have my sledge made from a pair of skis for £100. Buyer collects. Brakes won't work as you will be airborne most of the time. You should be able to outrun any avalanche, evem 200mph powder ones.
 IainL 17 Nov 2006
In reply to IainL: You can collect on the way to Lochnager as I live in Aberdeenshire
matt25 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:
Alternatively you can have my mid-nineties Split Descision touring snowboard. That means you can skin up the hill a la ski-touring, then clamp the two sides together and just sit on the board and ride it to your death!
Yours for £100. No IOUs, cheques or other methods of payment that might be compromised by you not surviving the week.
M
Cooper 17 Nov 2006
In reply to matt25: If conditions are good, then i reckon it will be a well good run down. Really need the bouldery stuff to be totally buried in snow for a safe sledge. Going to post the video on Youtube once its done. My mate is going to film and edit the movie - so it should look really good once finsished. Just need the sledge and good conditions now. Can't wait.

Cooper
 francois 17 Nov 2006
Cool, that should be an exciting entry for next year's Edinburgh'd filmfest. If you survive to tell the tale, I'll vote for you!
matt25 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:
Can I suggest something?

"If you must do this damn silly thing,do not do it in this damn silly way!"

How about setting up a dead man or two at the top, tie yourself in to the other end of the rope. This way the rope stops you after 50m (or 100 if you tie two together). The sledge could be attatched using another 5m of rope to your harness, stopping it killing anyone at the bottom.
Could mean the difference between quad and paraplegia?
M

PS- Kudos to anyone who can tell me where that quote is from!
 Chris Fryer 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper: If you make it onto the loch intact and show me evidence, I will buy you a pint.
 Fume Troll 17 Nov 2006
In reply to matt25: Do you honestly think that's safer??

Cheers,

FT
P.S. Yes Minister.
matt25 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Fume Troll:
Kudos!

The rope thing is a variation of something that I believe used to go on in the Lairig Club using 200 foot ropes, massive ice axes and probably a fair bit of booze!

Safe? No. Safer? Maybe.

M
 Scomuir 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:
Darwin Awards spring to mind...
Cooper 17 Nov 2006
In reply to matt25: I was in the Lairig club from 2001 - 2005, maybe that is where i have got this idea from?

Cooper
matt25 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:
I knew there had to be a reason!

(Lairig 1990-93)

M
 MRJ 17 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:
Well, this sounds f*cking awsome, mate!
Obviously, you will need some protection.
I would suggest http://www.armoroutlet.com/AOcrowd/AOcrowd.html
For your personal kit, as for the sledge, the long toboggan may be too combersum, I would suggest a toboggan structure, but lop it off so it's just your height.
Also, I would send down a sledge with sandbags in it first, with weight equal to yours (and the armour) To test the snow/ice. Make sure you bring a avi locator device!

-Magnus
Steve Reid 19 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper: I'm intrigued to know how you are going to make sure that there is no-one climbing up the route before you launch yourself to your doom - or are you happy just to wipe them out too?
 rusty_nails 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:

I am sad to inform you that the author of this thread 'Cooper' was one of the guys who died yesterday after spending a night stuck in the northern corries.

Would have been brilliant to see if he had pulled his plan off.
 Chris Fryer 21 Nov 2006
In reply to rusty_nails: Shine on.
wcdave 21 Nov 2006
In reply to rusty_nails:
>
>
> Would have been brilliant to see if he had pulled his plan off.

Absolutely.

This thread should stand as a testament to the guy. A top thread from what sounded like a top bloke.

Sadly missed.
Clauso 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Chris Fryer:
>
> Shine on.

Absolutely... Remember that pint that you'd promised him? Drink it for him... Tragic news.
 Stuart S 21 Nov 2006
In reply to wcdave:

Hear, hear - very fitting.

RIP
In reply to Clauso:

Soooo.... does anyone fancy taking on the challenge 'In Memoriam'? We could use my daughters sledge.

I'll raise a glass to him tonight.

Stuart S 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor:

You won't get me belting down Black Spout on a sledge, but I'd be up for coming along to witness/support/carry the first aid kit...

DougG 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor:

> I'll raise a glass to him tonight.

And me.

RIP Cooper.

Rowie B 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

> I'll raise a glass to him tonight.

Me too. Will miss him on here - RIP Cooper
 Chris Fryer 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Clauso: I will.

Cooper Hardy Memorial Black Spout Descent anyone? I'll bring my bodyboard.
 Rubbishy 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Chris Fryer:

Aye, I am up for it dressed as a tapir on me snow blades.

cheers Cooper.
 Rowie B 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Chris Fryer:
> (In reply to Darren Jackson) I will.
>
> Cooper Hardy Memorial Black Spout Descent anyone? I'll bring my bodyboard.

Yes - I'll squeeze on the back - you can steer!

In reply to Chris Fryer:

Are you volunteering to make the first descent? If you go first and don't break too many bones I might follow you!
 Horse 21 Nov 2006
TMW 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Horse:

Now raising a glass to these two.

Rest in Peace.

Mark.
 marie 21 Nov 2006
In reply to TMW:
> (In reply to Horse)
>
> Now raising a glass to these two.

Same here
>
> Rest in Peace.

Ditto
Marie

Sandrine 21 Nov 2006
In reply to TMW:

Tchin, tchin...
 stomach 21 Nov 2006
In reply to TMW:
> (In reply to Horse)
>
> Now raising a glass to these two.
>
> Rest in Peace.
>
> Mark.

And me. A tin or two.

Matt
 Trangia 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper:

The ultimate adrenaline rush? If anyone ever does it I hope they will post a report on UKC.

RIP both of you.
psd 21 Nov 2006
 MRJ 24 Nov 2006
In reply to psd: I think we should head up there, make sure the gully is clear, and send down a burning sledge in memory of Cooper. His idea was legendary, and his loss tragic.
I would be willing to supply sladge and fuel if anyone wants to come along. Would need some people to ensure no-one enters the gully, would be a big suprise.

-Magnus.
Rest in peace, guys.
 rusty_nails 25 Nov 2006
In reply to MRJ:

Now that would be a site!!!
 rusty_nails 25 Nov 2006
In reply to MRJ:

Perhaps between christmas and new year???
 Jiffy 26 Nov 2006
In reply to MRJ:

You need something to put on the sledge. Anybody got an inflatable sheep?

I'll go down the bottom and video it. Copies of the video can be had for a small donation to Cairngorm MRT?
psd 26 Nov 2006
In reply to rusty_nails:

I would immediately add my name to any list, were it not for the fact that I've never done anything in winter conditions and I'll be stuck down the wrong end of the country without the gear and (more importantly) transport.

A shame, really - from what's been said elsewhere I suspect Cooper would have been pleased to see someone stepping out onto proper snow for their first time.
Removed User 26 Nov 2006
In reply to Jiffy:

I'll come along to.

Good plan to make a video and try and raise money for Cairngorm MRT. Maybe we could think of some more crazy antics he'd have approved of, to pad it out.
TimSter 26 Nov 2006
Count me in for the video!
 london_huddy 26 Nov 2006
In reply to MRJ: I'm in. Have camcorder, will travel!
 teddy_simmon 27 Nov 2006
In reply to Cooper: id buy a copy of the video if proceedsa were ofr mrt
 rallymania 27 Nov 2006
In reply to teddy_simmon & all:

me too, and i'd offer what ever help to raise funds, transportation etc that i can.

MRJ 09 Dec 2006
In reply to rallymania & all:
So, so far we have:
1 Rusty_Nails (?)
2 Jiffy
3 fraserhughes
4 TimSter (Or just wants a copy of video?)
5 hindu
6 teddy_simmon (?)
7 rallymania (?)

I'll PM all the folk. I reckon it would be class to have an inflatible sheep on the sledge, and I have an old riot helmet we could strap onto it for protection
Would also be good to have 2 cameras, one for the top, one for the bottom.

Again, RIP cooper.

-Magnus
In reply to MRJ:
> (In reply to rallymania & all)
>
> I'll PM all the folk. I reckon it would be class to have an inflatible sheep on the sledge,
>

I didn't know you could get inflatable Aberdonians :0)

I'd go along, especially if there was some kind of fund raising going on for the Cairngorm MRT.
 dispeller 09 Dec 2006
In reply to Cooper:

Sounds like fun. Good luck with it!
 philo 10 Dec 2006
In reply to Cooper:

just read this thread from top to bottom and having read the news of cooper it was a shock and i was moved some what by this thread. it goes from wild adventurous some what good fun and laugh thread to a memorial type event for something which would most definatly make people smile to see.

rip cooper.

rusty_nails 10 Dec 2006
In reply to rallymania:

Any thoughts on when? If we get a rough date, i can try and sort out my plans for the gap between crimbo and new year, and perhaps even gets some more recruits.
stewart byrne 10 Dec 2006
Black Spout....yeh.....go for it but ya might hit the boulder afore the loch so thats a good braking system
 MRJ 12 Dec 2006
In reply to stewart byrne:
I'm thinking late dec, but people might be busy, so maybe early jan?
Anybody have any time restrictions?
I'm good for all after the 28th.

-Magnus
ledi 12 Dec 2006
In reply to Cooper: Just hold an ice axe and if you need to stop, ditch the sledge and do an arrest.
 MRJ 13 Dec 2006
In reply to All:
Okay, some dates have come up as ones which people I have talked to are NOT free on (IE. cannot take place on these dates), these are:
20&21 Jan
17&18 Feb
17&18 Mar
14&15 Apr
If anyone else has restrictions on any dates, or if there are any dates that are p[articularly good, please post here.
I'm free all dates in early jan and feb onwards.

-Magnus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...