UKC

The England rugby thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom M Williams 25 Nov 2006
Though we did alright for the first 25-30 mins.

Some very funny substitutions in my opinion. Tom Palmer was doing well. didn't think Richards was having too bad a game and looked more likely to create something than Perry.

Poor basics again in the second half.

When is Knobinson gonna realise he just can't cut it and jump before he gets pushed?
 nz Cragrat 25 Nov 2006
In reply to Tom M Williams:

Within 24hours? Oh sorry that will be the push. Meanwhile Jake White flies home to a grilling before his tour is over
 Horse 25 Nov 2006

Terrible day out. The ground was half full of S Africans. The other half seemed to be a block booking by the village idiots society of England.

What happened after the first half an hour is beyond me, complete crap. Even the village idiots were walking out before the end.
In reply to nz Cragrat:

Reading the BBC website, it says his future will be decided next month at a meeting... i'd be suprised if it hasn't already been decided.

Robinsons answer to the question - Do you think you'll be allowed to stay as coach as you move towards the world cup?

"Certainly, Yes"

This man must have some serious self confidence, pitty he can't pass that on to the players.
In reply to Horse:

You poor man, having to sit through that!

Its quite remarkable that we can go from looking OK ish back to square one in a matter of minutes.

Lack of leadership on the pitch?
 nz Cragrat 25 Nov 2006

Is there a contender to replace him?

It will certainly be better for world Rugby if England can get there act together ...
 Horse 25 Nov 2006
In reply to nz Cragrat:
> (In reply to Tom M Williams)
>
> Is there a contender to replace him?
>
No

> It will certainly be better for world Rugby if England can get there act together ...

No worries Andy Farrell will be along shortly.
John Kirk 25 Nov 2006
In reply to Tom M Williams: In the 90s we learned to match what the Southern Hemisphere were doing in terms of training. This resulted in us being able to stop them scoring and kick penalties to win. Now they have trained their way through our defences and have a game where their defence is bettered by their attack. They are bigger, stronger and faster than us yet again. Giving them access to our domestic game has allowed them to see our players' weaknesses every week, and its easier for them to exploit those weaknesses. Unless we adopt the same training regimes (including ball handling skills) we will continue to get slaughtered.
 nz Cragrat 25 Nov 2006
In reply to Horse:

Well, it looks at this stage that Ireland are the best of the Home Union sides....
 Banned User 77 25 Nov 2006
In reply to John Kirk: Agree, we caught them up, now they've (well mainly NZ) and gone a step ahead.

NZ are great too watch, power, speed, tackling, handling, the brazil of rugby once again.
John Kirk 25 Nov 2006
In reply to IainRUK: as a 16 year old I got to train with Beziers who supplied several of the French backs at that time. We played on the beach, standing in a circle. The peson in the middle had the ball hurled at him - to the head, to the feet, behind him. This simulated how the ball was received in battle. It was a million miles away from the running it down the line rubbish were taught at school. England's handling skills are rubbish and this is one main reason why we don't score enough tries.
 nz Cragrat 25 Nov 2006
In reply to IainRUK:

Getting there....( we AB supporters are hard to please) - am pleased that the forwards are dealing to most packs now.....
 stonewall 25 Nov 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

agree completely. the irish, welsh and scots all have better hands. But the game today was arguably lost when sanderson dropped the ball from a kick off (?), and shortly after when the second row hit someone in the air and gave away a penalty...the lead we had established evaporated and the game may have turned on that.
 Horse 25 Nov 2006
In reply to stonewall:

I think it was lost when SA scored a try when the hooter had gone for half time.

Forget training methods, get the players on central contracts and give the coach of the national side control over when the players play. Unlikely to happen give the clubs are more interested in their own bank balance than the health of the national side.
 nz Cragrat 25 Nov 2006
In reply to Horse:

Ditto.
In reply to John Kirk:

Agreed the handling skills are embarassing to say the least. But what gets me is the way they just seem to ship the ball straight down the back line without anyone trying to create space by running the inteligent lines... we are just plain rubbish at doing this.
 andy 25 Nov 2006
In reply to Tom M Williams: And in no way would I suggest he'll make any difference at all, but Andy Farrell could always shift an attack in league. Maybe get him in as a coach.

Is Sean Edwards still at Wasps?
 Greenbanks 25 Nov 2006

"England RUGBY Thread"??

Errrr....what rugby?
 Dale Berry 26 Nov 2006
In reply to Tom M Williams: I agree with many points on here. Especially the need for the national side to have precedence over the clubs if England are to improve again.

Wether Robinson should go or not is a (little) bit more difficult for me. Whoever came in wouldn't have enough time to do anything for this years comptetions, but keeping Robinson is surely a sign that England fully expect the to be contendors for the Wooden Spoon in the Six Nations, and do nothing in the World Cup. It would be very bad for England to have a replacement for Robinson, then that replacement come under pressure to be kicked out after a rubbish World Cup (which I'm sad to say seems inevitable).

The most unbelievable thing in the whole of Robinson's reign is that seemingly next to no action has been taken of the need to coach the backs well.
 Postmanpat 26 Nov 2006
In reply to D Berry:
>
>
> The most unbelievable thing in the whole of Robinson's reign is that seemingly next to no action has been taken of the need to coach the backs well.

What,you mean except for bringing in the man generally regarded as the preier backs coach in England,Brian Ashton?

Horse 26 Nov 2006
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to Tom M Williams) Maybe get him in as a coach.
>
>

My god, he can coach as well? Is there no end to the man's talents?

Does he have a regular column in The Tiger next to Roy?

Whatever are we waiting for?
In reply to D Berry:

I fully accept the fact that we were never going to be as strong this coming world cup. My beef with robinson is that it has taken him till 18months before the next worldcup to realise that the aged squad he has been picking since the world cup victory wasn't going to make the next and bring in new blood.

I would rather of seen us get spanked in all competitions after the world cup but have a young and promising side who 4 years down the line would be experienced etc.... and might stand a chance of playing some half decent bloody rugby.

In reply to Horse:

Selection is going to be easy when he's fully fit.

Juts put him on the pitch on his own, he's a one man team by the sounds of it.

In reply to Greenbanks:
>
> "England RUGBY Thread"??
>
> Errrr....what rugby?

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post this
 saggers 26 Nov 2006

The BBC are reporting that Robinson is being forced out with Martin Johnson to replace him

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/6185090.stm
 Jason Kirk 26 Nov 2006

You don't have players with any sense or ability at present. The passing yesterday would've been poor for an U13 side let alone supposedly the best players England has to offer. On three occassions they had managed to create an overlap and failed to use it. School boy errors! and then a player infront of the kicker.

Also there seemed to be a some very poor decision making. I would also question if some of those playing yesterday were really interested.
 nz Cragrat 26 Nov 2006
In reply to Jason Kirk:

Good performance by Scotland at the weekend... <wink>
 Jason Kirk 26 Nov 2006
In reply to nz Cragrat:

I think the game should've ended around the 10 min mark.
 Horse 26 Nov 2006
In reply to nz Cragrat:

He decided to only watch the first half, couldn't face the trauma of the 2nd as he knew the result.
 Jason Kirk 26 Nov 2006
In reply to Horse:

There is only so much crap rugby one can face in any 24 hr period and having already been at Twickenham I think I was already beyond my daily limit.
 Horse 26 Nov 2006
In reply to Jason Kirk:

Looks like your lot will be joining us and Italy in the big fight of the season to grasp the 6N wooden spoon. I reckon our lot are so bad they won't even manage to win that.
 Jason Kirk 26 Nov 2006
In reply to Horse:

you don't win it so much as get hit about the head and face with it by your supporters for being a bunch of muppets who don't have a clue.

6n on current form is

Ireland 1st
Wales 2nd
France 3rd
and then any of combination of the remaining three.
 Horse 26 Nov 2006
In reply to Jason Kirk:
> (In reply to Horse)
>
> you don't win it so much as get hit about the head and face with it by your supporters for being a bunch of muppets who don't have a clue.
>
I'll bow to your superior Scottish knowledge of these things.

Jason Kirk 26 Nov 2006
In reply to Horse:

Maybe you'll find out next year.

Maybe Matt Williams could be you're new head coach.
 nz Cragrat 26 Nov 2006
In reply to Jason Kirk:

your
 Jason Kirk 26 Nov 2006
In reply to nz Cragrat:

Well spotted!
 nz Cragrat 26 Nov 2006

I hear that England are wanting Warren Gatland to replace Robinson....
In reply to Jason Kirk:
>
> You don't have players with any sense or ability at present. The passing yesterday would've been poor for an U13 side let alone supposedly the best players England has to offer. On three occassions they had managed to create an overlap and failed to use it. School boy errors! and then a player infront of the kicker.
>
> Also there seemed to be a some very poor decision making. I would also question if some of those playing yesterday were really interested.

A typical scottish reply! I take it you dont watch the guinness premireship? England have plenty of talent at present its just being wasted. Far too much deadwood in the side and like other people have said too much emphasis on the club game and their bank accounts.

In reply to nz Cragrat:

Unlikely to get him me thinks
 Jason Kirk 26 Nov 2006

I was talking about the players on show yesterday at Twickenham. I was there and it was poor. SA were not much better.

The premiership is on the whole reasonable but look at the teams and also look at the number of foreign players that are playing in decision making roles.
 Jason Kirk 26 Nov 2006

and also look at how poorly the premiership sides are doing in the Heinenken cup this year.
In reply to Jason Kirk:

But you need experience to dictate games and play well in the 'descision making' roles at that level, none of the current crop of players have that yet. I think its a little unfair to wirte them off after what we have seen the last few weeks.

Robinson on the other hand has been there long enough for everyone to know he's not cut out for it!

p.s. what the hell was a scott/welsh/ man doing at the english game? Poor sod!
 Jason Kirk 26 Nov 2006

That would be a Scot. I was invited and having never been to Twickenham to watch a game before decided to go. Also a good reason to go for some beers with a climbing partner.
 nz Cragrat 26 Nov 2006

Pretty sure he is well contracted up here at present and I suspect will probably eying the AB's coaches position after RWC though Robbie Deans probably is after it too. I would go with Gatland.
In reply to nz Cragrat:

Aye.

As much as Jonno was a great leader on the pitch, i'm not sure about england coach just yet. Then again i can come up with many decent options and i wouldn't want to be on the end of a bollocking from him.

Jason Kirk 26 Nov 2006

I think the England players deserve a bit more than the threat of a bollocking from arguably their greatest player.

For the last year they have played with no shape and little clue. Some of that must come from poor coaching. The current crop of players are not world beaters but they certainly could play a lot better than they have been.
If your players are not capable of carrying complicated structures then simplify what you ask them to do. It's not rocket science but there seems to be a complete inability to develop any kind of executable game plan for England at present.
In reply to Jason Kirk:

Agreed
 nz Cragrat 27 Nov 2006
Robinson must almost be getting the marching orders around now.

Interestingly Gatland was at Twickers at the weekend....

Could you have a foreign coach?
In reply to nz Cragrat:

BBC says he will 'quit' tomorrow.

A foreign coach wouldn't bother me to be honest.
 Horse 27 Nov 2006
In reply to nz Cragrat:

If his name was Eddie Jones, yes.

Strange times where I am in favour of a bloody Con with a Taff name being in charge down at The Ruins.
 Jason Kirk 27 Nov 2006
In reply to Horse:

Bloody hell times must be bad if you are willing to have a con.

Can't see us hiring a con in my lifetime again. Matt Williams was a walking bloody disaster area.
 nz Cragrat 29 Nov 2006

So does he get the push today??? Huh Huh?

Did he have his Lawyers with him at yesterdays meeting?
 Horse 29 Nov 2006
In reply to nz Cragrat:

He has resigned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/6185090.stm

No replacement has been announced.

nz Cragrat 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Horse:

Maybe Eddie Baby...? Gatland apparently had this trip organised a long time ago so it is coincidental...

http://xtramsn.co.nz/rugby/0,,12416-6640333,00.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...