UKC

How would you like to take this fall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 14 Dec 2006
Katie Brown taking the big one...

http://www.petetakeda.com/journal/big-whipper
 Huddy 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

excellent screem
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Nice one. I scream like that too..
banned profile 74 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Daniel Armitage: was expecting like a 100 footer
emo 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Daniel Armitage:
it was bigish, but was it really that bad? Not saying i would like to take it but say compared to the grim fall off Rhapsody that f*cks Dave Mcleod ankle a number of times....
 Jason Kirk 14 Dec 2006

She's quite a screamer! Good effort hope she gets up it the next time she tries it.
 IanJackson 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Great!
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Pretty lame in teh grand scheme of things, i'd rather take that than the lob from the top of The Bulge after missing the penultimate draw!!

(Tom: 'i'll just pull up the rope and retrieve my draws..... and my bollocks!')
In reply to beastofackworth: Funnily enough the one time i did take a hundred footer i didn't scream at all.... But no one was there to video it, so i can't prove it.
 Andy S 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: good little film. I read a book by Pete Takeda years ago - bought for me as a birthday present. It was a good little book - just loads of stories from his climbing life. This website is the only other thing I've seen of his and this is the first time I've seen it so it's pretty cool and quite interesting to see what he's branching out into.
 Mick Ward 14 Dec 2006

Puts my favourite squeal of "Take!" in its rightful position as downright pathetic.

Mick
banned profile 74 15 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ward: thing is ive taken a fall as big as that at the foundry ffs so it aint thta big.lot scarier outside on trad gear though
 Al Evans 15 Dec 2006
In reply to Huddy: Dissapointed, I cant seem to get the sound.
 KeithW 15 Dec 2006

It's a good enough clip; but ruined by the soundtrack in which it seems two schoolkids are taunting each other in the playground. Puzzling.
 Bill Davidson 15 Dec 2006

Was also discussed here

http://forums.scottishclimbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=3250&start=0

a while back. Its a different link Al so you may get the sound on this one. Some really good other clips there as well.

Bill
In reply to KeithW: I'm more amused by the schoolkids on this thread taking turns to go "huh, I'v taken bigger falls than that"
 Jason Kirk 15 Dec 2006
In reply to Psychopathic_Barbie:

But it shows us all how hard they are!

Or not.
 Bill Davidson 15 Dec 2006
In reply to Bill Davidson:

Actually a different sound track as well.
Clauso 15 Dec 2006

No, I wouldn't like to take that fall. I don't like taking any fall.
karl walton 15 Dec 2006
Helmet!
stevebt 15 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: That made my Bum Twitch just watching it ......
Clauso 15 Dec 2006
In reply to karl walton:

Wot I fort...
 SecretSquirrel 15 Dec 2006
Isn't that same route featured on one of the climbing videos? The guy doing the first trad ascent perhaps?
Anyway it certainly looks like the same line and he falls off it numerous times, obviously with his gear carefully placed so he falls below the bottom of that large flake to the left of the crack line rather than smacking into the side of it.
Really big whipper, don't know the actual distance but he has time to yell 3 times on the way down before the rope goes tight - kind of an "arrhh, arrhh, aaaaarrrrrrhhhhhh.... phew"! Impressive and certainly not a fall i'd want to take.
 ChrisJD 15 Dec 2006
In reply to SecretSquirrel:

A quick glimpse of he Dean Potter fat whipper on Tombstone, along with many others, is about two thirds into this trailer.

http://www.planetfear.com/film_detail.asp?f_id=59
 Simon Pelly 15 Dec 2006
In reply to beastofackworth:

Suspect that the fall is longer then height of Foundary
 CurlyStevo 15 Dec 2006
In reply to ChrisJD:
This video is crazy and much better IMHO

youtube.com/watch?v=2jf3eupPeQo&

Stevo
 Matt Rees 15 Dec 2006
In reply to SecretSquirrel:

I was trying to figure out if it was the same route and I'm not sure it is. The belay stance on that big exfoliation flake looks the same, but Potter is in a big dihedral with a crack at the back with tiny tiny finger locks. ON this vid, KB is climbing a fist/hand crack on a more even face.

Besides, that route Potter takes his whipper on was an FA by him and a pretty hard one at that. I'm not sure KB is up to that (but I may be very very wrong).

Maybe the same route but lower down?

FWIW, the reason potter takes that big whipper in his clip is becuase he's to pumped to stuff any gear in at the crux.
 Jenn 15 Dec 2006
In reply to karl walton:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> Helmet!

Agreed!

Good video though...
 Wilbur 15 Dec 2006

i would have tried to get a cam in above her right hand (or a hex!)
 catt 15 Dec 2006
In reply to Wilbur:

unfotunately she had run out of gear.

http://www.yourclimbing.com/video-whipper_therapy_katies_scary_tombstone_fa...

read down the page...
 Al Evans 15 Dec 2006
In reply to catt: Actually had falls like that and never hurt myself, I have only ever done damage on falls of 20ft or less.
 Al Evans 15 Dec 2006
In reply to Wilbur: She did try.
 Wilbur 15 Dec 2006
In reply to catt:

oh right - thought i saw a cam dangling off (altho it did look monster!)
 Wilbur 15 Dec 2006
In reply to catt:
> (In reply to Wilbur)
>
> unfotunately she had run out of gear.

wouldn't happen to me as i would have lugged 13 cams, 3 sets of wires (1-14) and a full set of hexes up it

O Mighty Tim 15 Dec 2006
In reply to Wilbur: Or me. I wouldn't have GOT that far up the thing...

8^)

TTG
 Jenn 15 Dec 2006
In reply to Wilbur:
> (In reply to catt)
> [...]
>
> wouldn't happen to me as i would have lugged 13 cams, 3 sets of wires (1-14) and a full set of hexes up it

And that's just for when you are doing grit routes
 TobyA 15 Dec 2006
Excellent fall. I love to see even the mega stars going through the exact same feelings I get on route, just a much easier one. It the: the try the move-momentary panic-climb down a bit-try to place gear-get the gear wrong-more momentary panic momemnt so eloquently shown on the video. Of course what makes Katie a rock star and me a punter is that she says to herself "go on, you can do it" and goes for the move anyway, whilst I say to myself "bugger this, I don't want to die!", and suddenly find hidden depth of stamina that allow me to start climbing back down toward my last bit of gear!

I remember when Katie was a skinny little tweenie uber-climber. She looks well 'ard now. Just what you need to be for routes like that! She should ask her sponsor for helmet though...
 kevin stephens 15 Dec 2006

No big deal, especially since it seems to have been filmed with a wide angle lens. I remember a couple of my similalry run out whippers, one being a big pendulum
OP Michael Ryan 15 Dec 2006
In reply to TobyA:

That's what I felt Toby. She pushed, when others wouldn't have.

Mick
 Wilbur 15 Dec 2006
In reply to Jenn:
> (In reply to Wilbur)
> [...]
>
> And that's just for when you are doing grit routes

yep - at Burbage North!

Niall 15 Dec 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to ChrisJD)
> This video is crazy and much better IMHO
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=2jf3eupPeQo&
>
> Stevo

Stevo, come here, that's right, a little closer *SLAP*
 ashleylist 15 Dec 2006

access denied at work will try at home
In reply to Jason Kirk: if taking big falls make you hard, i suggest you see a psychiatrist...
In reply to Simon Pelly:
> (In reply to beastofackworth)
>
> Suspect that the fall is longer then height of Foundary

hmmmm thats strange cos to me the fall looks about 30 foot,maybe a lil bit longer
In reply to Psychopathic_Barbie:
> (In reply to KeithW) I'm more amused by the schoolkids on this thread taking turns to go "huh, I'v taken bigger falls than that"

pmsl erm was just stating that it wasnt really that big a deal of a fall and that i had personally taken bigger,sorry if it seemed childish to you,i will endevor in future to seem more mature so i dont amuse you too much <smiles sweetly>
 TobyA 15 Dec 2006
> pmsl erm was just stating that it wasnt really that big a deal of a fall and that i had personally taken bigger,

Don't worry you've convinced us of your hardness. You are super-hard and mad crazy as well. Obviously no wee girl could be harder than you.
 The Pylon King 15 Dec 2006

Yeah nice scream,

Shame it was distracted by the inapproriate shit music

why are all climbing video makers MTV wannabees?
 curlymynci 15 Dec 2006
In reply to Niall:
>
> Stevo, come here, that's right, a little closer *SLAP*

F*cking seconded.
loopyone 15 Dec 2006
In reply to curlymynci: Bloody trolling...........
banned profile 74 17 Dec 2006
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to beastofackworth)
> [...]
>
> Don't worry you've convinced us of your hardness. You are super-hard and mad crazy as well. Obviously no wee girl could be harder than you.

lolol i didnt mention owt of my hardness,i the same as most others get worried when running it out,i was just stating that fromt he thread title i was like expecting a really big fall which the one in the vid wasnt.
sorry will appologise for having taken a bigger fall,how inconsiderate of me

auld al 18 Dec 2006
> (In reply to TobyA)
> [...]
>
>
>
> lolol i didnt mention owt of my hardness,i the same as most others get worried when running it out,i was just stating that fromt he thread title i was like expecting a really big fall which the one in the vid wasnt.
> sorry will appologise for having taken a bigger fall,how inconsiderate of me

i don't often reply but you are so full of it that i feel physically sick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...