UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Ogawayama Bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JoH - Editor 14 Dec 2006
"Ogawayama is the Camp 4 of Japanese climbing, a magnet for climbers and hikers from all over Japan. Around the campsite, rockfaces and big granite boulders are laid out everywere you look."

Sound good? Read more from Jonas Wiklund - http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=264
In reply to JoH - Editor:

Really good article.

Davie
 jwi 15 Dec 2006
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre: Thank you Davie!
In reply to JoH - Editor: Makes me want to visit Japan even more. Nice one.
 kms 15 Dec 2006

just had a look thru and it seems a very excellent and well informative article...well done! love the excuses translations
 freelancer_85 15 Dec 2006

Anyone else think that the Japanese for "almost, but not quite" seems a bit like Oh Shit??

Josh.
 tobyfk 16 Dec 2006
In reply to jwi:

Nice article, thanks. A shame it wasn't out earlier in the year! I was in Ogawayama in June and really wanted to find the Whale boulder (which I'd climbed on many years earlier with Japanese friends) - but it was elusive.

Are you based in Japan at the moment?
 tobyfk 16 Dec 2006
In reply to jwi:

Oh yes, small point of correction: blowing your nose in public is not bad manners. It's a sandbag, perpetuated by those consultants that earn a crust advising businessmen on cultural differences. The Japanese do find large protuberant gaijin noses a great source of amusement, which would be accentuated by a trumpeting nose-blow, but they are not offended as such.
 Postmanpat 16 Dec 2006
In reply to tobyfk:
It's blowing your nose into a handkerchief and then carrying your snot around in your pocket which is considerd rather unpleasant .And let's face it,they do have a point.

Excellent article .
 jwi 17 Dec 2006
YMMV, of course, but in one year and some, I've never seen anyone blowing their nose in public. Dry a runny nose, yes, but outright blowing the nose? Really?

Anyway. I mostly put it in 'cause it sounds funny.

Sorry that the article wasn't available earlier. I did send it to a magazine, but they never replied, which I took to understand as that they thought the article was so embarrassingly bad that it was better to completely ignore me and hope the problem goes away by it self. A sign as good as any that I've spend to long time in Japan, I suppose...
 hutchm 17 Dec 2006
In reply to jwi:

Their loss - good piece, with a ready supply of good images, too.
 edwardwoodward 19 Dec 2006
In reply to hutchm:
Great article, Jonas, and thanks for the plug.
Neil.
 jwi 19 Dec 2006
In reply to edwardwoodward:

Thank you Neil. Btw, the map goes well with the directions on your site. If you want, and the good people of ukclimbing don't mind, I can send you the map as a pdf for your site.

I like the topos in Kitayama's book, but I'm not the only one who find his maps borderline useless.
Dafydd Davis 19 Dec 2006
In reply to JoH - Editor: Loved the article, went to Ogawayama last aurumn and thought it was brilliand. Excellent routes, wonderfull people and fantastic bouldering. Grades were a Ok i thought, but then i am only 5' 6"
 edwardwoodward 20 Dec 2006
In reply to jwi:
>
> Thank you Neil. Btw, the map goes well with the directions on your site. If you want, and the good people of ukclimbing don't mind, I can send you the map as a pdf for your site.

Yes, I'd like to use the pdf - what do the the good people of ukclimbing say?
Neil

jwi 20 Dec 2006
In reply to edwardwoodward: Oh, I see it says ©Jonas Wiklund under the map, so I have actually not transfered the copyright.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...