UKC

Climbing areas in Australia for late February / early March

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Guy Maccdox 15 Dec 2006
Going to Perth in late February, flying back out of Melbourne in mid-March. Hoping that Arapiles will be just about tolerable in the shade but can anyone recommend other areas where we may not get roasted?
Grade spread not as important as conditions on this trip!!

Cheers.
 John H Bull 16 Dec 2006
In reply to Guy Maddox:
Hey Guy, Araps will be fine at that time, as will parts of the Gramps. Plenty to do in the shade, plus single pitch routes in the sun are OK in the morning or evening. I've heard good reports of Mt Buffalo at that time of year too - semi-Alpine granite at a higher altitude.
Cheers, John

Rog Wilko 16 Dec 2006
In reply to Guy Maddox: Agree that Arapiles should be just about perfect early March. Gramps usually 3 - 5 degrees cooler. Looking at your profile (E6!) there must be so much fantastic stuff for you to go at. People I know who live in Natimuk rave about Taipan Wall on Mt Stapylton - too hard for me, I've only walked past it and it looks sensational. Mt Buffalo would also have some fabulous major routes in the gorge - 5 or 6 pitch routes in the 20 - 30 range. Should be cool at that altitude at that season. Bit of a long drive from The Mount, though.
OP Guy Maccdox 16 Dec 2006
In reply to jhenryb:

Hey John, I didn't realise you you knew yor stuff about Oz - I'll quiz you further over pint, maybe even before Christmas.

What I am startled about is that you were surfing UKC at 6am on a December Saturday - it's not like it was even light!!
OP Guy Maccdox 16 Dec 2006
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Cheers. Yes, Arapiles has been high on my list of dream climbing venues to visit for a years. Our trip is primarily for my brother's wedding so the dates are fixed and I was getting concerned that it would be too hot to climb so thanks for your reassurance.

Arapiles faces in all directions so shadey climbing will be possible. Taipan Wall does look fantastic but it's always drenched in sunshine in the photos so could still be too hot. I'll do a little more homework on which way it faces or anyone knows, please post here.

P.S. I have been a steady E5/6 chap in the past but these days I'm a nesh sport climbing part-timer so if I get up any trad hard than Australian 22 I think I'll be chuffed!
 John H Bull 17 Dec 2006
In reply to Guy Maddox:
Was there in Feb/March this year. Araps is awesome. More here (he sprays shamelessly): http://jhbsbigtrip.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html

Quiz/beer it is!

It's afternoon here in Thailand. I should be back in Macc by now but I missed my flight out of BKK yesterday. Tomorrow's going to be a killer...
 annah 17 Dec 2006
In reply to jhenryb:

That's great. Had a browse of the blog and will study further when we get back from wet Peak afternoon. You are officially invited round for dinner... Give us a shout when you are back.
 El Greyo 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Guy Maddox:

Hello Guy
It will be hot at Araps at that time of year but you should be able to work around it. There are plenty of shady gullies and you can climb on the more open faces during cooler parts of the day. It's awesome.

As people said, the Grampians are good to escape the heat. I seem remember that Taipan is in the shade until about 3pm (beware - I led a pitch in the shade but my second came up in the sun - the rock had expanded and trapped my gear in the cracks. I lost two wires in one pitch.) Bundaleer is another place which is in the shade and has lots of stuff for you to go at. There are sport climbing venues in the Gramps too.

Morgan Woods 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Guy Maddox:
> Going to Perth in late February, flying back out of Melbourne in mid-March. Hoping that Arapiles will be just about tolerable in the shade but can anyone recommend other areas where we may not get roasted?
> Grade spread not as important as conditions on this trip!!
>
> Cheers.

I'm planning on going to a wedding in Melbourne at the start of March and hopefully getting a couple of days at araps either side of it. I shouldn't think it will be too hot (in the shade at least). The only time i've been is in 1988 so keen to go back and tick a few harder things! Definitely want to have a go at Kachoong.
 nz Cragrat 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Morgan Woods:

At this rate - extreme fires drought there may be no water at Araps by then ...
 Dave C 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Morgan Woods: Kachoong? Giive me a shout and I'll pop up and get the mandatory pics for you.
 Morgan Woods 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Dave C:

Ta Dave....i haven't got firm dates or partners yet but could well be up for sharing a rope with the good and the great of the UKC expat community!
 Rog Wilko 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Guy Maddox: Sorry to hear of your sad decline. But the great thing about Arapiles is that there are fantastic routes at any grade from moderate upwards. I think Taipan wall faces west, btw.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...