UKC

More sad news...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6184975.stm

As always, thoughts and sympathies with friends and families.
 wilkie14c 16 Dec 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor:
Oh shit, more bad news. So sorry for his family, we all want our days to expire doing what we love.
God bless
davidlloydhudson 16 Dec 2006

It is never a good feeling seeing one of own leave us. When I leave this mountainous world I hope it is the mountains that take me.

My feelings and thoughts go out to the climbers family, friends and love ones.
frontpoint 16 Dec 2006

Immensely saddening news. My hart felt sadness goes out to friends and family.

wilkie14c 16 Dec 2006
well said David, that is beautiful, i'm sorry i couldn't find those words.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Emma x
 Iain Downie 16 Dec 2006
In reply to davidlloydhudson:

My condolences to the family.

I can remember a few years ago having a conversation with my mum about the risks involved with climbing. She was rightly telling me to be careful, suggesting suitable life insurance, maybe hinting at taking up something safer. The response was that not everyone gets the opportunity to do something they really enjoy, and that i should make the most of it.

Occasionally some of us go unexpectedly, and unfortunatly there are often loved ones left behind. But this is the same with a lot of other kinds of accidents which happen much more frequently in our everyday lives. If my time is out on the hill, then i for one would be happy. Hopefully my parents and friends know this too.

Be safe my friends, but enjoy every minute of it.

Iain
 wilkie14c 16 Dec 2006
In reply to Iain Downie:
Thank you Iain, You too. Your mother was right.
 IanJackson 16 Dec 2006

My condolences to his Friends and family.

Dieing while doing something you love. It all part of love.
 Rampikino 16 Dec 2006

Very sad indeed. Cat and I solo'd Aladdin's Couloir last weekend and it didn't seem the kind of place to take a fall. However, you just never know.

Deepest sympathy.
 rusty_nails 16 Dec 2006

My deepest sympathies for the friends and family at this time of year.

At least he was doing what he loved. Remember him for that.
 Jiffy 16 Dec 2006
The climber has now been named as Neil Bachelor, 26, from Inverness.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6184975.stm

So sad to hear this. My thoughts are with the family and friends.
 Ron Walker 16 Dec 2006

Very sad especially at this time of year.

It's been a bad year for accidents in the Cairngorms especially so early into the winter season.

I think also another bad road accident on the A9 at Aviemore this morning. Not good...

Sympathies to friends and families

Ron
dougie giro 16 Dec 2006
Tragic news, thoughts to all friends + family
wcdave 16 Dec 2006

Sincere condolences to all concerned, very tragic.

Quite a few people on here climbed regularly with Neil, my thoughts go out to them as well.
 Jim Fraser 16 Dec 2006

Does anyone know anything about the circumstances of the fall?
 Dangerous Dave 16 Dec 2006
In reply to Jim Fraser: Neil was in the Lairig club 3 or 4 years ago and concequently new graeme cooper. Many of us were just coming to terms with the tragic loss of graeme and richard and we are now having to face this. It just doesn't seem real.
Neil is 1 of the reasons I started winter climbing his enthusiasm is legendary. Everyone who climbed with him or went on a trip with him was touch and affected positively by has outgoing attitude to climbing.
he is a great loss to the climbing community and will always be respected and remembered.
Again my thoughts go out to his family and his girlfriend I hope you guys can work through this.
In reply to Dangerous Dave:

So sorry Dave, hope you're ok.

For what it's worth I'll be dropping a few pounds into the CMRT team collection tins one my way through Aviemore tonight.

A h-uile beannachd dhuibh.

Take care.
 Smelly Fox 16 Dec 2006

Yet more terrible news. I never met Batchelor but his enthusiasm is ledgendary. Ive heard many quality storys of his escapades! They wont be forgotten.
My condolances to those that knew him.
Trist
Samiad 16 Dec 2006
In reply to Smelly Fox:
this news has knocked all of us in aberdeen for 6. it's come at a terrible time of year, and so soon after Graham and Richard died in the same area. we're all at a bit of a loss, and personally, it hasn't sunk in yet. neil was always, to use a cliche, so much larger than life and it's hard to believe he's gone, having been in corrie an lochain with him just last friday. he was, i can safely say, the best winter climber i've known, and he'll be greatly missed.

my most sincere condolences to his family and everyone who knew him.

S
TWINKLETOES 16 Dec 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor: Deepest sympathy to all who were close to him.
Alan G. Cooper 16 Dec 2006

When we first read about this latest tragedy we wondered whether Neil would have known Graeme. Yet again a blow to the Lairig Club as well as Neil's family and friends.

We are still trying to come to terms with losing Graeme and our heartfelt sympathies go out to Neil's family and friends at this very sad time.

It gave us some comfort to read the numerous kind and generous tributes posted on this forum at the time of Graeme and Richard's passing. We hope in time that this forum brings some comfort to those close to Neil.

Alan, Alison & Grant Cooper ( Graeme's family )

We h
BigSi1980 16 Dec 2006
I'd omly met neil a few times, first time 7 years ago on lochnagar in a cold gelda shiel, I'd herd of his statues through a mutual friend, his statues and peoples admiration for him was reinforced on joining the lairig
and sadsly I d got to know him better following coopers funeral,this has come as a real blow to those who knew him and myself coming so soon after what happened to cooper and richard.

my thoughts are with his family, girlfriend and all those who knew him well.

Big Si
jamieled 16 Dec 2006
Neil was truly a legend, he undoubtedly inspired me and many others to get climbing when I first met him at uni. My sympathies go his family and friends, we will miss him.
Jamie
Geoffrey Michaels 16 Dec 2006

Very sad news indeed and condolonces to all concerned.
 Denni 16 Dec 2006
Once again, condolences to his family and friends.
Den
 oor wullie 17 Dec 2006

Neil was my best friend, we must have spent more than a hundred days together on the hills plus days fishing, going on holiday, having huge fancy dinners at his house.
He was the best and strongest climber i have climbed with.
I can't believe it.
Desperatly sorry

I'll never forget all the "shits and giggles"

Tim
 Snax 17 Dec 2006
In reply to oor wullie: so sorry to hear of this.i only meet neil a few times, but everything i could say has been said already, i can only echo it. Neil was a man with such ambition, the rest of us mortals can only look upto, imence respect.
Linsey 17 Dec 2006

Hi guys. It is so comforting to hear you talk about Neil like this. You are all right, he did die doing what he loved best. According to my dad (who heard from someone on the CMRT) Neil was nearing the top of the climb when the cornice collapsed. He had all the best gear and had done everything right - it was just a tragic accident. He fell about 600 feet and probably died instantly. Another climber in the area witnessed his fall and went straight over to him but he was already dead. Some of you must have been really close to him and we are thinking of you all, esp you Tim.

His family and his girlfriend Kelly loved him dearly and we are all obviously absolutely devastated by the loss.

Our thoughts are also with the friends and family of Graeme and Richard.

Please watch this forum for details of Neil's funeral - I will post again. Hope to see you there.

Linsey, Neil's sister xxx
 Stuart S 17 Dec 2006
In reply to Linsey:

I didn't know Neil, but I'd heard his name round the Aberdeen scene. My deepest sympathies to you, your family and his girlfriend at this impossibly difficult time.

I hope others who knew him better can continue to offer more meaningful words of comfort.
 KeithW 17 Dec 2006

I was very sorry to read of this. My sympathy & condolences to all who knew him.
James G 17 Dec 2006
Neil was with me on my first winter climb and was always a driving force behind my love of the mountains. We lived together for the second year of uni. and his enthusiasm and commitment were always unparalleled.

My sympathy is with all those who were closer to him than I.

James G
 Rowie B 18 Dec 2006

Such sad news. Heartfelt consolences to his family, girlfriend and friends.
Cliff 18 Dec 2006
Neils enthusiam for the hills was unmatched and he truly did inspire many of us in aberdeen to winter climb, including myself. He will be missed by many.

Cliff
 gartmorn 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor: My heartfelt sympathy to all who knew Neil he sounded like a great guy. Once again the climbing community is in mourning. When the mountains are angry skill and experience sometimes count for nought!!! God Bless.

Gartmorn
 Stevos 18 Dec 2006

Like others who knew Neil, for me he was a total inspiration and he was a major influence on me getting into winter climbing 3 years ago through the Lairig club. He was great fun to be with, his banter was was of the highest order and his ability as a climber was terrific - he was so confidence inspiring to climb with.

I'll miss that laugh...

My thoughts go out his family and girlfriend at this difficult time.

Rest in peace dude.

Steve Addy
 Mita 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor: How sad, my thoughts are with his friends and family....
 Rubbishy 18 Dec 2006

Terrible news.

My condolences to his family and friends.
 loonyclimber 18 Dec 2006
My condolances and sympathy to his friends and family!
 TRJ 18 Dec 2006

"There have been joys too great to
be described in words, and there
have been griefs upon which I have
not dared to dwell; and with these in
mind I say: Climb if you will, but
remember that courage and
strength are nought without
prudence, and that a momentary
negligence may destroy the
happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing
in haste; look well to each step; and
from the beginning think what may
be the end."

Edward Whymper
Scrambles Amongst the Alps

johnscholes 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor: Its sad news once again,that another climber has died ! i am stunned once again and don't really know what to say other than thoughts are with family and friends.
I add a fall during the summer and it makes me feel how lucky i am.
My heart goes out to the climber that found him and the Mountain rescue guys also. because its very nice to find folk alive but is very sad when the news turns bad.
Sad times once again.
Flock
Linsey 18 Dec 2006

Details of Neil's funeral will be printed in "the Press and Journal", "The Courier" (Dundee), and "the Kirrie Herald".

The funeral will be held in the Old Parish Church, Kirriemuir, Angus on Friday 22nd December at 1:30pm, and thereafter to Dundee crematorium (for 2.45pm). Family flowers only please. Any donations to Cairngorm mountain rescue team.

All friends and acquaintances of Neil would be very welcome to attend.

Linsey x

Linsey 18 Dec 2006

Sorry, I made a mistake in that last post.

It should have read: donations to Scottish Mountain Rescue Association.

Linsey x
Jules.G 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Linsey: I was so sad to hear this news. When Richard, my cousin, died last month the kind words of everyone on this forum were such a comfort. I hope Neils family find the same comfort that we did.

Jules Xx
David Hardy 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor: We, the family of Richard Hardy, who died on November 20th along with Graeme Cooper, would like to offer Neil's family and friends our heartfelt condolences. We believe that we have some idea of how they must feel, but we drew much comfort from the messages of unity and support which have been so evident on this web forum, and we hope that this spirit also helps to carry Neil's family through the difficult days that lie ahead. Please know that our thoughts are with you.
 David Birch 18 Dec 2006
Rhian Wood Writes:
Having been on Lairig trips with Neil in my first year at Aberdeen uni & various 'Sivelles' escapades after the pub, I knew Neil to be a very inspiring guy. He had a passion for climbing that ran not only through his veins, but also all those that he has inspired to take up winter climbing, his legacy will remain with those of the Lairig, past and present for a very long time.
The last time I saw Neil was at Coopers funeral (the first time for a couple of years), it was brilliant to see him again & hear his infecious/slightly manic laugh! I sadens me greatly that I shall not hear it again.
A fitting song that was and is the definitive song of the Lairig club is The Proclaimers - 500 miles. For all those who hear it please think of all the good times spent with Neil, Cooper & Richard whilst it is playing. A song that meant so much fun to me that has now become so touching.

All of us in Lairig will take a long time to recover from this tragic year. My heartfelt sympathies to all those that are feeling Neils loss.

Rhian
William Batchelor 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor: thanks to everyone who has written a message on this site for Neil,especially Graeme and Richards families. We are all devastated,Neil was my pal as well as my son. Love to all, Willie and Linda
Craig Bunyan 19 Dec 2006
Went to school with Niel, I'm deeply sorry to hear this tragic news. I remember him as a kind and generous guy who always had a twinkle in his eye...

My best wishes to the loved ones he leaves behind.

Craig.
Matthew V 19 Dec 2006
Like James G, I was Neil's flatmate during our 2nd year at university.

Neil was always larger than life and popular, as evidenced when it took him 4 days to make the 3 mile journey from the train station to our flat at the beginning of 2nd year. Every time he set-off he bumped into someone he knew and just had to catch-up! Life was never dull that year.

Neil was a man of great passion, whose eyes lit-up everytime he talked of climbing and the mountains in which he spent so much of his time.

James and I were just speaking about Neil on Saturday, before we heard the news, remembering fondly some of his antics. I had not talked to him for a while, now I never shall again. He will be missed.

Matthew Viggers
 Dave80 19 Dec 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor: I just heard the news earlier tonight. I still can't believe it! The last time I saw Neil was at Coopers funeral and he was as full of life as ever and talking up plans to catch up over some beers and get some climbing done this winter.

He really was a walking legend and larger than life.

My thoughts go out to all his friends and family
jollyb 19 Dec 2006
Just heard this news as it travelled through the Aberdeen climbing community.

Neil had so much energy and I only met him a few times but his infectious spirit seem to run through the heart of the uni club. He climbed hard and seemed to party hard too.

An obvious void has been created here in many lives which seems testament to the extent he lived life.

My thoughts are with all those who will miss Neil.

jb
Sarah Wilson 19 Dec 2006

I just want to express my deepest sympathy to Neil's family and friends, particularly all past and present Lairig members. I knew Neil when I was in the Lairig club from 2002-2004 and he was such a great guy to be around. His passion and enthusiasm for climbing and the outdoors was truly inspiring, and I will always remember that infectious laugh!

Sarah Wilson xx
Nicholas Pritchard 19 Dec 2006

I knew Neil a few years back through many trips with the Lairig Club. His enthusiasm for the outdoors, and life was legendary.

My deepest sympathies go out to all of his friends and family.

Truly tragic news.

Nick Pritchard
 Tiggs 19 Dec 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor: This is so very, very, very sad and so soon after the deaths of Graeme and Richard. My condolences to Neil's family and friends.

To everyone going out onto the hills this winter take care.
thomasl 19 Dec 2006
In reply to Linsey:
Hi Linsley
last saturday, we went to this place for the first time and witnessed the drama spent here some hours before.
Climbing the Aladdin's couloir, I fund an technical Ice axe belonging to an experimented climber. I supposed it is Neil's.
If you want to get it back let me know.
I'm so sorry for all of you

Thomas
Helen Rennard 19 Dec 2006

I did some of my first ever winter climbs with Neil, and remember these as some of my best times in the hills. Neil was the fittest, toughest and most enthusiastic winter climber I have ever known. Though I had not been in touch with Neil for almost a year I thought of him often and I will always remember him, and the times I spent with him.

My deepest sypmathies to family and friends.

Helen
peng 19 Dec 2006
Neil sounds to have been a wonderful guy.
Sincere regards to those who are suffering his loss.
Christina Bell 19 Dec 2006

Shocked and deeply saddened to hear the news, I still can't believe it - so soon after the last tradgedy. I remember Neil fondly from my time in the Lairig club 2002-2003 and also from his time in the department of Geography at Aberdeen. He was something of a legend, and will never be forgotten. Thoughts are with family and loved ones of Neil and also the families of Graeme and Richard at this difficult time.

A message of condolence is also offered on behalf of the many staff in the Geography Department at Aberdeen who hold fond memories of Neil.

So very sorry,

Christina Bell
Malcolm Rooney 19 Dec 2006
In reply to Linsey:

Hi folks, I am the minister of the Glens and Kirriemuir Old Parish Church and I will be conducting Neil's funeral service on Friday. Can I invite you to send me some comments about Neil that I could use during the service as part of your community's tribute to him. Remember that it is for the Church but laughter is allowed!!!

Neil's family are coping remarkably well and they are hugely appreciative of the comments that are being posted on the web site. They are drawing great comfort from them. They know and support the fact that I am inviting comments.

I will probably begin to prepare the service on Wednesday evening and so would appreciate comments before then.

Please e mail them to Malcolm@gkopc.co.uk

Thank you

Malcolm Rooney
Kelly04 19 Dec 2006
In reply to Malcolm Rooney: I found it very difficult to understand what Neil was feeling when his friend Graeme died and I can now say to his family and friends - I know exactly what you are going through and I am so sorry. At the moment my only thoughts are of Neil - I have never met a person so full of life and passion for the outdoors, it is infectious! I have been going out with Neil for over two years, and I have no regrets - I thank him for every minute I got to spend with him - I am the person I am now because of him.

Thank you to everyone for leaving comments, it is a great comfort. Finding strength at the moment is very difficult, but for everyone that knew him look back and smile at the times you spent with him and feel lucky to have known such a great guy- he will never be forgotten.

Kelly x
Neils girlfriend.

I got one of Neils ice axes back and his family and I would be grateful to get the other one back, thank you - please get in touch.

Chris(cface!) 19 Dec 2006

Neil was one of the first people I ever met and talked with when I started University in 2000. As soon as I said I was joining the Lairig I received the trademark Bachelor smile - large and mischevous!
It was only later on in my climbing that I heard in hushed tones of the Bachelor, 'Winter Beast' - climbing grades that alarmed most of us 'average' winter climbers! His incredible appetite for winter routes,was nearly matched by his appetite for pickled herring on return! His sheer enthusiasm for trad. routes was infectious, just like his laugh.

I had the absolute pleasure of sharing a flat with Neil in 2004 and have still to meet someone with a love of the Scottish hills as intense as his. His walking, climbing and sometime illicit fishing trips (!) were always recalled with warm humour!

I will never meet anyone like him again, his zest for life, fitness (the man could run!) and of course climbing.

My thoughts go out to his family, and Kelly his girlfriend. This has been a massive tragedy. I really hope you take heart from the messages left here.

Please know that he will be hugely missed, by all of us.

Chris
liz nelson 19 Dec 2006
In reply to Linsey:

The family in Coventry can't believe what has happened. Overwhelmed by what I am reading. Great support for the family.

I (Liz - second cousin) although not having seen Neil for a few years have fond memories of visiting the family whenever I came to Scotland when I was a teenager. Neil was always bright and cheery and brought a smile to our faces.

So sorry I can't make it to Kirrie on Friday. His spirit climbs free.
craig campbell 19 Dec 2006

Only met Neil once when he was a wee boy - on the ferry to Isle of Rhum. As I write this my sister Berta and brother-in-law Duncan (Neil's Mum's cousin in Coventry) are trying to arrange transport to Kirrie for Friday's funeral. They are devastated by the news and they and their family and I and mine send our heartfelt condolences to all members of Neil's family.
aliandwill 20 Dec 2006

We knew Neil from the Lairig club. We're both deeply saddened to hear of this tragedy. We have all trod a fine line and danced with consequence on occasion. The world is surely a duller place with out Neil's smile.

Will and Ali Cadell (BC, Canada)
 sutty 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Kelly04:

Another climber gone who I never met yet from all the comments on here sounds to have been an inspiration and prime mover for others.
I would be pleased to think that others thought so highly of Neil, and send my condolences to you and his friends and family.

You knew a shining star, be happy about that.
 k2scott 20 Dec 2006

My thoughts go out to Neils family, and Kelly.

I had the great privelage of knowing and climbing with Neil while at university. He was, to quote a friend, a mentor and inspiration to many of us who knew him. He inspired, cajoled and dragged me up many routes. The experience I have gained from him has been invaluable and I will always be grateful.
His strength was legendary. Many fresh faced winter novices aspired to match it and failed, myself included.

Let us who knew him be thankful that we did and remember the many, many good times we all shared with him. Neil will be sadly missed but the legendary "Winter Beast" will never be forgotten!

Sean Mahoney 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Kelly04: I had only met Neil on a few occasions during the time that he had been with Kelly.

I can honestly say, that even after these brief meetings, I felt a huge admiration for him. His enthusiasm, compassion, and sincere love of all things outdoors truly overwhelmed and inspired me.

His appetite for life was insurmountable.

My heartfelt sympathies go out to all his family and friends, and especially to Kelly, his girlfriend, whom I know he adored.

His departure from this world will leave a huge void in our lives.

Sean – Kelly’s stepdad xx.

Eliza 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Kelly04:

Sincere condolences to you and the rest of Neil's loved ones.

I used to work with Neil and we discovered how small a world it is when we realised we both knew Graeme Cooper- Neil through the Lairig Club (and Geography) and myself as a close friend of Graeme's.

I recently managed to catch up with Neil at Graeme's funeral and we had a good blether. I was very sad to hear the news of Neil's accident so soon after Graeme's and I am sure that you and his family will find some support and comfort from all the kind messages on here from his fellow climbers, I know Graeme's family did.

Both Neil and Graeme were very popular guys and they will be sorely missed by all who knew them (or felt they knew them through this forum). They both lived life to the full and would want others to continue doing so and getting out to enjoy the mountains.

Best wishes, Eliza
Linsey 20 Dec 2006
A hundred thousand thank you's for all the lovely messages about Neil.
I have no words and I am in despair.
This forum is a huge comfort to me.
Sending love and hugs to Kelly xx

Sheila (Neil's Mum)
backatthepostbox 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Linsey:

I’ve not seen Neil for a couple of years now but have very very fond memories of him from the times we worked together. He never failed to cheer me up on a hard shift with his mischievous smile and slightly manic laugh and I was genuinely glad whenever I saw him as I knew fun and games would follow.

I’ll miss him greatly and not forget the joyous times we had.

My thoughts are with Neil’s family and particularly Kelly just now.

Love
M
x
happymatt 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Malcolm Rooney: I have had the privalege of knowing Neil for nearly twenty years and counted him as one of the best of friends.It has been a great shock for myself and the other friends of his in Aberdeen.Neil was a great friend to many and many of my best times have been enjoyed in his company, whether that was on holiday, the hill or the pub.He had a great enthusiasm for everything he loved and was able to enthuse this in everyone he met.Neil aslo had the ability to bring out the best in people, a very rare gift.Neil will be greatly missed but the times spent with him will never be forgotten. My deepest condolences to his family and Kelly.

Matthew Croll
pmagowan 20 Dec 2006

Only just heard the news. So Sad. I was in Larig during my time at Aberdeen and appreciate how close everyone is. Heartfelt condolences to friends and family. The mountains have taken too many of those who loved them this year.

Be safe
Louise MacRae 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Kelly04: I have known Neil for over two years now, he came to Inverness to join us in Pizza Hut as my Deputy Manager, throughout this time we spent many hours together - in fact not a day went by when we were'nt in touch. Neil & I are so alike in many ways, total work aholics (eh Kel), Neil had a heart of gold & put passion into everything he done. We laughed, we cried, we stressed (him more than me!) together but most importantly we became friends together, it has been wonderful to see how highly regarded he is by so many people including myself, all my love is sent to his family and of course Kelly, you are all in my thoughts, Louise X
Kelly04 20 Dec 2006
This was a message sent by Neils boss/ friend when he worked in Aberdeen. Thought I would put this up for everyone to see how great a guy Neil was.

All my love to Neils family.
Tim you know where I am if you need me.

Take Care Kelly x

To kelly and Neil's family, my thoughts are with you all at this terrible time, what can I say that hasn't already been said. Neil was an absolute joy to know when we worked
together at Pizza Hut and he always kept in touch when he left Aberdeen. I will always remember how he cradled my wee daughter when she was a few weeks old and she slept for ages obviously comforted by Neils great nature and
gentleness. We've had many a fun night out together and his legendary sense of humour and hand-slapping will be with me forever!

Janette, Colin and Rachel x
vstevens 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Kelly04: Kelly, we've been thinking so much about you and our hearts are really going out to you. John's been finding this particularly hard to cope with - he wanted to put something here but just can't find the words.I just wanted you to know you are in our thoughts and please keep in touch. We'll be there tomorrow. Be brave. Love to the whole family. Val & John Stevens xxx
Heather McInally 21 Dec 2006

I was Neil's English teacher (and Linsey's) for a time in Webster's. Neil was such a genuine guy - keen - and with a real generous spirit. Such a lovely family. So terribly sad to hear this news. My condolences to you.
Fiona W 21 Dec 2006

Neil was amazing. So enthusiastic about the world, especially the Scottish hills, he was an inspiration. He was the best story teller I ever met! I'm honoured to have known him.

Totally gutted.

My thoughts are with his family and Kelly, I can't even imagine what this must be like for you guys.

Fiona
Duncan & Berta 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Linsey:

Duncan & Berta in Coventry (Sheila's cousin) Hopefully flying up for the funeral, weather permitting. We will miss Neil, a well respected member of the family. Thinking of Sheila and her family. xx
Duncan & Berta 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Linsey:

Hi Sheila, so sorry to hear the devastating news about Neil. You were so proud of him and your other bairns. From the comments on the forum, he was obviously a well liked guy with a big personality who will be sadly missed by many. Sorry we are not able to make the funeral on Friday, but will be thinking of you all.

Our thoughts are with you.

Alistair & Elaine (2nd cousin)
 blondel 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Linsey:
Every so often (but all too rarely) life comes up with a really special person who touches every life he meets, and from the postings it's plain that Neil was one of these inspirational people. Clearly he will live on for a very long time in a lot of hearts and minds, and the world must be a better place for his having been here. Sincerest condolences.
 Lawman 22 Dec 2006

I didn't know Neil, but reading this forum makes me think that he must have been a very special kind of person. My deepest sympathy goes out to the family and friends of Neil.

Rich
fin8984 22 Dec 2006
Memories of a fantastic day with Neil and others in Torridon a few weeks ago are still so clear.
The best winter climber i knew, so enthusiastic, in love with the mountains.

One of the good guys.

Finlay Wild
Cedric Wilkins 22 Dec 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor: I knew Neil as a fine lad who was always enthusiastic and reliable and gifted with a great sense of humour. Clearly he has made an indelible impression on all who were lucky enough to know him, and was a towering example to those who aspired to climb at his level. A tragic loss, and my deepest sympathy to Sheila, Willie, Linsay and Ewan
 oor wullie 22 Dec 2006

There is so much more to say than this......

Neil was a man with many passions and I was priviledged enough to be able to share several with him.
His love for the mountains is perhaps the most obvious and his appetite and enthusiasm for climbing was insatiable, it really had to be seen to be believed.

The night before going on a climb Neil would sometimes be unable to sleep such was his excitement.

As a partner on the hill there couldn’t be better. I never heard him complain about being cold or tired even though at times I know he was. His decisions were reliable, his knowledge of the environment he was in was immense. What made him such a good climber though was his drive and determination. On arriving at the top of a route hours after dark, exhausted and struggling to find the energy to go on Neil was the one who would start packing the bags putting extra weight into his bag, Neil was the one who would dig out the map and compass and assume responsiblilty for getting off. It wasn’t so much that he was fitter and stronger than others (although he probably was) but that he had the ability to drive himself on beyond the point where others would give up.

At times in the hills I trusted Neil with my life. I never had to think twice about it.

Neils passions were not just limited to the hills though. Recently I had driven up to Inverness to go climbing with him. The weather and conditions were near perfect. I forgot my boots. Neil wasn’t disappointed he just turned his enthusiasm elsewhere, we could go fishing or rock climbing and cook a huge feast for dinner. And his determination was carried into these other things too. During the summer he fished on the Ness 30 hrs a week. Despite being so driven he was never selfish, the day I caught more fish than him he was genuinely pleased for me.

Dinner at Neils was always an experience, he would throw all his enthusiasm into creating a feast and many a happy night was spent infront of a mountain of fine food.

Every day spent with Neil, fishing, climbing, walking, eating, going to a pub, sitting round a fire, every day was a worthwhile day.

Tim
 Null 22 Dec 2006
In reply to David Hardy:
> Richard Hardy, who died on November 20th along with Graeme Cooper, would like to offer Neil's family and friends our heartfelt condolences.

Sorry to cut in, but that's not the Richard Hardy who lived on the Black Isle (mountain guide) is it? I have been living abroad for a long time and am out of touch with things in the UK.
 Caralynh 22 Dec 2006
In reply to oor wullie:

I haven't posted on this thread before - I didn't know Neil, although of course the loss of anyone is very sad. However, your memories of him have inspired me. I will pledge to live my life to the full in 2007. To have the sort of enthusiasm that you say Neil had. Not to grumble or whinge at bad weather, tiredness, cold, hunger, but to throw myself into everything I do 100%. And, as you say, to make every day worthwhile.
Thanks.
 stomach 22 Dec 2006

My sympathies and condolences to the family and friends of this guy! another lad I have never met but feel saddened at his loss and the tributes on here!

Matt
 sutty 22 Dec 2006
In reply to Gavin Taylor:

No, different person, much younger.

Richard McHardy is the one you are thinking of, Alpha club.
In reply to oor wullie:

30 hours a week fishing on the Ness?

He put me well and truly to shame and I live right next to it!!

Jamie B 22 Dec 2006
My friends and I met Neil in the corrie hours before he died and chatted briefly. He came across as someone who was relaxed, confident, experienced and in his element. I still cant really believe that he came unstuck. My thoughts are very much with those who were close to him, and anyone who ever has to deal with this sort of loss.
 IainMunro 22 Dec 2006
Sadly I never knew Neil but only knew of him. Hearing of his exploits in the Lairig club and judging by the effect he had on so many people I really wish I had. He sounds like a true inspiration and the sort of guy I think we all wish we had as a friend and companion on the hill.

"His life was gentle, and the elements
So mix'd in him that Nature might stand up
And say to all the world, 'This was a man!' "

Rest in peace

Iain

JamesWheater 23 Dec 2006
In reply to IainMunro:

Neil was an inspirtation and a mentor to so many. I climbed and socialised with neil on many occasions and some of my best days out and in were spent with him. To be taken under neils wing was something special and all those who were influenced by him will never forget him. His drive was immense. On one occasion I climbed fallout corner with neil taking the crux pitch even though he had broken two ribs a couple of nights before.

To neil who will forever be in the hills, by the lochs and streams in the places he loved.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

Emma Fraser 24 Dec 2006
In reply to JamesWheater:

I knew Neil at university and will always remember him as the cheeky one who went climbing every weekend. I'm so sorry I couldn't be there at the funeral, I would have liked to say goodbye to him. He will live on through everyone who knew and loved him.

Emma
grn 25 Dec 2006
We went to school with Neil and will always remember his huge smile and fantastic laugh he was so sweet with a huge heart - so so sorry for you and his partners loss. x
Scott B 01 Jan 2007
So it was about 6 years ago I met this man who sung 'sexy man' in the car-type-bus things we traveled in to get to our variuos climbing/hiking destinations from Aberdeen. Often smiling, always cheery, this old American has far from forgotten this fine fellow. However short of time I was in Scotland, you played a part of changing my life for the better Neil.
Wee Stevie 03 Jan 2007
I've only just found out the terrible news. My thoughts are with everyone affected. I knew Neil from several happy years and many happy trips with the Lairig club and I can only echo everyone's comments about Neil's enthusiasm, drive and friendly nature. He was an inspiration. I'd not seen him for years but you always felt he'd still be out there, doing what he loved. In spirit he still will be.

Steve Robertson
Natalie Munro (aka Hargraves) 06 Jan 2007

I just wanted to add a comment to the many touching ones
already left. I went right through school with Neil and
can't quite get my head round all this. After hearing the
tragic news I dug out the tape of my 18th birthday party
where Neil was rather the worse for wear(!) and watched
him singing away on the bus home. Can't believe he's gone.

My heart goes out to his family and girlfriend.
Natalie x
Damo Aubrey 30 Jan 2007
I only recently heard of this tragic news and felt compelled to add my condolences to all those who knew Neil. I enjoyed Neil's company on a number of occasions - I was just winding up my time with the Lairig club when Neil arrived, but even then his enthusiasm and passion for the hills was apparent.

I'll remember him from an illicit trip to Allt-na-G, after the whisky bottle had been passed around, Neil desperate to join in with the singing of "Seven Drunken Nights" but only ever remembering the lines to the chorus, "you're drunk, you're drunk you silly old fool!" which he belted out repeatedly with gusto!

I'm sure he'll be sorely missed by those who knew him. Take solace in the fact that he was surely spending his final moments doing that which he found most enjoyable - to have ended his days in any other way might only have lessened him.
Alistair Kirkpatrick 23 Mar 2007

I spent a huge amount of time with Neil over several years, but it wasn't nearly enough. I hadn't been in touch with him for much too long, but i never went a day without thinking about him in some way. Everyone I know who who didn't know Neil knows him a little through my stories that have been told many times and always centre around him. All of my favourite memories of the last 9 years involved him in some way.
I have never known anyone as enthusiastic as him, or with such a love of life. At his funeral I was sitting with four of his best friends from University. None of us had been climbing before we met Neil, all of us had been climbing after we met Neil. No-one was capable of being unaffected by his enthusiasm and powers of persuasion.
My thoughts are with with everyone who knew him, because I know how much they will miss him.
Alistair Kirkpatrick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...