UKC

NEW ARTICLE: A Shaggy Dog Story

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JoH - Editor 27 Dec 2006
"The last wolf in Scotland was shot in the 18th century. Or at least that’s what I’d always been led to believe..... until I was obliged to share a small icy ledge with one, half-way up Ben Lui’s Central Gully"

Danielle Mathieu recounts an epic two week ascent of Ben Lui's central gully.

Two weeks you say?..

Read on: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=272
 dmhigg 28 Dec 2006
Phil,
You've finally seen the light and bought the correct footwear for the hills. Give us a ring!

Mark Higg.
 Henry L Buckle 04 Jan 2007
V.nice story. I once shared a belay ledge with a sheep on Pavey Ark.
 fimm 04 Jan 2007
Nice article. I enjoyed that!
Miss Bee 04 Jan 2007
In reply to JoH - Editor:
Nice interlude to first-day-back-at-work-is-it-over-yet? syndrome.

Phil looks a lot like one Major Phil Ashby, ex-Army truned author. Would be bizarre coincidence if one and the same.
Kinley 09 Jan 2007

Great story! What's the deal on UKC copyright as I would like to put this up on my Waiting Room noticeboard (vet surgery)?
 SimonMH 11 Jan 2007
The last wolf bit is a notice that I used to pass when cycling Land's end John O'Groats with kids from school. I think it was just refering to Sutherland, and was in a layby on the last day of our ride from Golspie to Helmsdale, the penultimate day. The stone says 'To mark the place near which ( according to Scrope's 'Art of Deerstalking')the last wolf in Sutherland was killed by the hunter Polson in or about the year 1700. This stone was erected by his grace the Duke of Portland, K.G. AD 1924.'
I have the photo to prove it if interested.
Simon M-H
KB 15 Jan 2007

That's a terrific little article!

KB
 nick simons 18 Jan 2007
In reply to JoH - Editor: Great story, great writing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...