UKC

TRIED AND TESTED: The DMM Rebel Axe by Chris Stirling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 28 Dec 2006
Chris Stirling has had a pair of DMM Rebels for the last year climbing in Scotland, the Lakes and the Alps. He gives us his opinion on these hot forged tools.

"The placement feedback when ice climbing took some getting used to, having a damper feel to other axes but this quickly became a feature I liked with the axe. The cascade pick entered the ice well again causing minimal shattering and aiding first time placements."

Read the full review here.....

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=301
Anonymous 28 Dec 2006
In reply to UKC News:

interesting report. I sold my Rebels after a very frustrating two weeks mixed climbing due to the following -

:the most un ergomomic handles ever designed(except for small ungloved hands)
:the complete inability to use the hammer (wrong angle and that bloody trigger bit)
:the inabilty to use the axe as a safe mountaineering tool for descents (or as a snow anchor)
:the inabilty to hold them anywhere comfortably on the shafts when torquing

admit i didn't use them on pure ice but still those midget mouded handles must still infuriate (compare with quarks or aztars)

still, as you correctly pointed out, it's all down to personal taste. and i don't care if Nick Bullock climbs really hard with them, I'm just a normal punter.

Dave Evans (unable to log in on this dial up connection !)

mr_orange 29 Dec 2006
In reply to UKC News:

I'm not sure taking a file to your axes to make serrations is a good idea I have to say, but thanks for the comprehensive review :O)
 Bob 29 Dec 2006
In reply to mr_orange:

Why not? Making modifications to picks was something we used to do regularly - the pick of the Chacal was well known for having too much "bite" so the first couple of teeth were carefully modified so that the axe was easier to extract.

You just had to be careful not to be too energetic when filing so as not to damage the temper of the steel.

boB
 ericinbristol 28 Jan 2007
In reply to UKC News:

I tried these axes on WI and for me they sucked. Balance over-heavy on the head, grip too narrow (and I have smallish hands) even with just light gloves on.

Whereas I love me Quarks - no complaints with them.

cheers

Eric

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...