UKC

Avon at night

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon Pelly 12 Jan 2007
Drove under the clifton suspension bridge the other night and noticed that most of suspension bridge buttress is illuminated by lights hanging from the bridge.

Gave me the idea of climbing some routes there after work even though the sun has gone down.

Head torch still required I'm sure. What do people think?
 tomski3 12 Jan 2007
In reply to Simon Pelly:

I believe that Giants Cave Buttress is the classic route of choice.
TomjwLast 12 Jan 2007
In reply to Simon Pelly:

Suspension Bridge Arete is apparently the 'easiest' route on the buttress and really good to boot. I suppose it would be a good choice for night-time, although I've only been on it in the day.
 John H Bull 12 Jan 2007
In reply to TomjwLast:

'In through the out door' is a good choice. Best at 2 am after a party.
In reply to tomski3:
> (In reply to Simon Pelly)
>
> I believe that Giants Cave Buttress is the classic route of choice.

...but it's not suspension bridge buttress is it?
 Ally Smith 12 Jan 2007
In reply to Simon Pelly: Yep, you won't be the first!

Bouldering at sea walls and new quarry by head torch is something i did quite a bit last year instead of going to the wall. Decent head torch that won't fall off your helmet is needed, perhaps some extra gaffer tape would be a good idea?
 tomski3 12 Jan 2007
In reply to Bahrain:

True but it would give you a lovely view of the pretty twinkly lights on the bridge. I think on SBB that Suspension Bridge Arete would be the best bet as the lower sections of things like Limbo and Hell Gates are a bit more difficult and quite a lot darker.
 Toby_W 12 Jan 2007
In reply to Simon Pelly: I did Giants cave in the dark a few years ago before they put the new lights up.

Although we took headtorches we didn't need them due to the amount of background light.

It was a real adventure and gave the route a whole new feel and changed my climbing style (more sort of feelly).

Enjoy.

Toby
 Paul Robertson 12 Jan 2007
In reply to Simon Pelly: I have done Hell Gates pitch 2 in the dark which was ok. However it was too dark to climb any of the various finishes necessitating an abseil from old tat wrapped around a bush.
 Paz 13 Jan 2007
In reply to Simon Pelly:

It's kind of alright to climb on suspension bridge buttress at night, but anything under a bulge or in a break will be in a dark shadow, so maybe a torch isn't a bad plan. This might make a lot of the stuff on the central section harder (as the cruxes are all at the level of the black bulge, (though it's the holds above it that you're after) and gear can go in horizontal breaks) but all the stuff between SB arete and Baby Duck should be doable, and Heironymous would possibly go too, but that's adventurous as it is. That Pandemonium Wall might be a thought as well.

The other night crag is the `one bolt/peg' stuff around Enchanted Gordon, right under a street light.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...