UKC

New Car Driver Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tiggs 16 Jan 2007
Just about to start researching this. Anyone got any advice on the best places for deals and cover so that I can do some comparisons?

I'm looking at both 3rd party and fully comp. He's a new driver age 17. A cursory search reveals that to get a 'quote' I've got to go through the rigmarole and at the moment I'm looking at 'ballpark' rather than specifics as a car hasn't been bought. The amount of insurance to an extent will dictate the amount available for the car (if you follow my drift) but say a car of max value £1K.

Is there any point in putting the car in my name and insuring it with him as named driver? I have my own car and probably won't want to use his.
 Ram MkiV 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:

> Is there any point in putting the car in my name and insuring it with him as named driver? I have my own car and probably won't want to use his.

yes, even with no claims this makes it alot cheaper. And with certain companies he (as a named driver) can build up a years no claims too.
 Ram MkiV 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs: on a car of 1k i'd go with just 3rd party and closely advise him not to crash it. good incentive anyway.
lukea6 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:

If you do that the only way he'll get no claims is by using Directline. Plus you can only use your no claims on 1 policy so will still be expensive plus if he crashes you lose your no claims.

Try Liverpool victoria for cheap but their sevice is rubbbish. My first insurance was with Tesco which was ok. Directline seem about the same as Tesco and Churchill are a little cheaper but higher excess (for my quotes anyway!)
 CJD 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:

go for 3rd party. it's not worth fully comp for a car like that, I reckon.
lukea6 16 Jan 2007
In reply to CJD:

Oh yeah defo 3rd party!
 DaveR 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:

I searched on the internet and put in made up car details for the type of car I hoped to buy. Even for the smallest, cheapest car he won't get much change from £1000 for 3rd party insurance.
OP Tiggs 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Steve Ramsden: That's what I was thinking, might stop him 'pimping' it too much as well...
Kev Malone 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:
>
> Is there any point in putting the car in my name and insuring it with him as named driver? I have my own car and probably won't want to use his.

while it'll probably get you a lower premium, I think this can invalidate the insurance if they suspect this is what you've done (IIRC it's known as "fronting"). Probably not worth the risk.
OP Tiggs 16 Jan 2007
In reply to lukea6:
> (In reply to Tiggs)
>
> If you do that the only way he'll get no claims is by using Directline. Plus you can only use your no claims on 1 policy so will still be expensive plus if he crashes you lose your no claims.
>
That's a good point as I have a lot of years no claims!
OP Tiggs 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Kev Malone: Really?! I wasn't aware of that.
OP Tiggs 16 Jan 2007
In reply to DaveR: That's what I suspected
 Petzl 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:

I used to work in insurance.

If it's his first car, then the insurance will be in the region of £1200 TPFT minimum.

Don't put the car in your name with him as a named driver if he is going to be the main driver - insurance companies can refuse to pay out on a claim if they discover that he's the one that drives it most of the time.
 Ram MkiV 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Kev Malone: having successfully 'fronted' for 6 years and saving 1000s i can say it was definitely worth the risk.
johnsdowens 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:
>

Yes. I passed last year at 24, and got added onto my girlriends insurance (fully comp)) for an extra 100 a year, so a total of about 400 for the 2 of us. on my own it would have cost 800, so loads cheaper. and I get no claims as a named driver (direct line)
 Petzl 16 Jan 2007
In reply to johnsdowens:

That's actually different to what Tiggs is asking. I presume your girlfriend was still using it most of the time and not you and the car was in her name?
 Ram MkiV 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Petzl:
> (In reply to Tiggs)
> Don't put the car in your name with him as a named driver if he is going to be the main driver - insurance companies can refuse to pay out on a claim if they discover that he's the one that drives it most of the time.

how can they find out? cctv and stuff?
 JDDD 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs: Hi Tiggs, Not used this myself, but there has been loads of advertising for it going on

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/motor/

One hit and it searches 50 companies for the best deal. Let us know how you get on.
Kev Malone 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Steve Ramsden:

I temped in an insurance firm for a summer, and this kind of thing was usually pretty easy to spot - mum or dad insuring a second, older car in their name with a 17 year old named driver.

You can probably get away with it unless you have a prang, in which case they might investigate (and refuse to pay out).
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to Kev Malone) Really?! I wasn't aware of that.

afraid it is true. also from personal experience i can say that getting that first years no claims is well worth it. i have always had my own insurance, first year was £800 for a 999cc Fiat Panda, after a year with no claims went down to about £550 if i remember correctly.

emphasize that avoiding crashing is extremely beneficial - not only on a health and wellbeing front but financial. my friend total'd his dads car not long after passing. cheapest insurance he could get for about 3 years afterwards was in the region of £2.5-4k on a 1 litre car depending on the insurer quoting.

i'd recommend elephant, tesco or direct line for a young driver - i have used all of them and generally find them cheaper than most others.
OP Tiggs 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman: Thanks Jon, will take a look at it and let you know.
johnsdowens 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Petzl:
> (In reply to johnsdowens)
>
> That's actually different to what Tiggs is asking. I presume your girlfriend was still using it most of the time and not you and the car was in her name?

Having now read the rest of the thread, yes, we are not 'fronting', so it is slightly different in intent although the numbers might looks the same (although I'd say I've done most of the driving in the last year, due to being under the thumb...)
OP Tiggs 16 Jan 2007
In reply to johnsdowens: Being 24 makes a difference! Under 21 drivers are really penalised when it comes to car insurance and before anyone starts an argument I do understand the reasons why!
 Petzl 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Steve Ramsden:

They can check the central insurance database. If they discover several cars in your name, with other named drivers, they can postulate that you're not going to be the main driver on at least one of them, particularly if you have significantly younger drivers on the insurance of one of them and especially if it's a cheap banger on TPFT.

If they refuse to pay out and it goes to court, you'll be in the dock trying to prove what the situation is.
OP Tiggs 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Fat Man Climbing (aka Mark N):
> (In reply to Tiggs)
> [...]
>
> afraid it is true. also from personal experience i can say that getting that first years no claims is well worth it. i have always had my own insurance, first year was £800 for a 999cc Fiat Panda, after a year with no claims went down to about £550 if i remember correctly.
>
> emphasize that avoiding crashing is extremely beneficial - not only on a health and wellbeing front but financial. my friend total'd his dads car not long after passing. cheapest insurance he could get for about 3 years afterwards was in the region of £2.5-4k on a 1 litre car depending on the insurer quoting.

That is v. useful to know!
 Glyn Jones 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs: There's http:... too
00spaw 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs: QUINN.

Cheapest Ever

Will
Kev Malone 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:

Forgot to add, its worth not ruling out fully comp completely, as it can occasionally be cheaper than TPFT for some strange reason. You could also try adding yourself as a named driver to the policy, as again that can sometimes bring it down by a couple of quid.

There are also some comapnies who do 10 month policies - still expensive, but the idea is that you build up no-claims faster.

Hope this helps
 El Greyo 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:

The 'fronting' method sounds risky to me but you might save a little by having the insurance in his name but with you (as an experienced and careful driver) as a named driver.

My girlfriend recently passed her test and bought a car and this is what she did, making me a named driver, and it reduced her premium from £380 (for herself only) to £280. She's 28 and (obviously) female so this will be much cheaper than for your son (if this is your son), but you may save a few bob this way.
 El Greyo 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Kev Malone:
> You could also try adding yourself as a named driver to the policy, as again that can sometimes bring it down by a couple of quid.

Doh! You got there first.
 Cameron13 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:

Try Churchill as they tend to be very good in comparisson for newly passed drivers.... also consider sending your lad out to do his pass plus (its effectively four extra driving lessons covering such things as motorway driving etc) it will get him driving a bit better but more importantly once completed the certificate will give him the equivilent of 1 years no claims and the insurance premium will go down dramatically (usually 40%).
Pinky 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:
When I first had a car myself (mid 20's) I actually saved about £50 by having my mother as a named driver on the insurance policy. I did tell them that it would only be a slim posability that she would ever drive my car, but even knowing that they gave me a £50 discount.

So if he is the main driver on the new policy, find out if he would lower the premium if he has you as a named driver on it.
diablo 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:

been rather a long time since i was in car insurance and even longer since i was young - but my neice did quite well with confused.com

good luck
lukea6 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Cameron13:

Pass plus is a very good point. So is an advanced driving course.
Nick B 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs: It is a good idea to look at cars in terms of their insurance group, no point him falling in love with a car he cannot insure, do some quote searches based on a 1.0l polo worth less than £1K, then don't let him think about anything that is higher than group 2 or 3 insurance.
lukea6 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Nick B:

You also have to think about security. If it's easy to steal it's expensive to insure.
OP Tiggs 16 Jan 2007
In reply to all: Thankyou everyone, there is some really helpful advice here and I'm going to print out the thread.

NickB: He's not getting anything more powerful than a 1.0 litre engine and in the cheapest group. Will have to look at a hatchback though so he can get his DJing equipment in for gigs <the drum kit will have to wait until he can afford his own van and insurance>. Oh the joys of no more roadieing for him.
XXXX 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:

Avoid Norwich Union whatever they quote.

I know insurance companies are tight and don't want to pay out but when the third party has admitted full liability you wouldn't think it would take 6 weeks to get your car back! Would you?

Dickweeds, the lot of them.
PJay 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:

definitely try confused and moneysupermarket - saved about £200 myself this year thanks to confused
luke_brown 17 Jan 2007
I put my gran as a named driver on my car (1.6 Golf) and the fully comprehensive quote dropped by about £60! She lives miles away and will never drive it, but it makes my insurance cheaper!
Jake Avery 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs: make them buy a 2cv then insurance is like £500 for a year fully comp + they are cool as its a convertable! lol
 cfer 17 Jan 2007
Some companies, Direct Line is one, will put no claims onto a named driver so he can build up his no claims with the car registered to you.
 HC~F 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Kev Malone:
>>You could also try adding yourself as a named driver to the policy, as again that can sometimes bring it down by a couple of quid.

When I added my Dad onto my car insurance because we were going to Scotland in my car, I actually got a refund!!
OP Tiggs 17 Jan 2007
In reply to HC~F: We'll be adding both parents onto his insurance to see what happens!
JPSC 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to HC~R) We'll be adding both parents onto his insurance to see what happens!

Although it is about 10 years since we were in this position, I wouldn't recommend putting both parents on as named drivers. Putting my wife on as a named driver (without any no claims of her own, though 20+ years driving) reduced the premium. Putting me on (over 20 years claim free, 25+ years driving) put it up. The important test if you are thinking of insuring in your own name seems to be do you have access to another car? If so, insurers think it will be mostly used by the younger driver and charge accordingly.

Second time we did this we bought a cheap to insure car from a dealer which came with a deal for insurance at £150 for anyone over 18 and one years years renewal at guaranteed max NC discount, so he didn't have to pay market rate till the third year - two years older, two years NC.

We also made them pay their own insurance at all times, seemed to make them more responsible and didn't start till 19, when they seemed much more mature than at 17.

HTH
 Rob Naylor 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to Kev Malone) Really?! I wasn't aware of that.

Tiggs, yes "fronting" is definitely something the insurance companies will use as an excuse to invalidate insurance. I know 2 people it's happened to here in the last 2 years. Don't go that route.
 Rob Naylor 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:

The *price* of the car when you buy it's not as important as the insurance group it's in. go for a slightly tidier model in a lower insurance group rather than somethinf really tatty in a higher one.
OP Tiggs 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Rob Naylor: We're only looking at 1.0 - 1.2 small hatchbacks to keep it as low as possible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...