UKC

Crag of the day: Loch Tollaidh Crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Every day we choose a new 'Crag of the day' from the database of all the crags in the UK.

We don't choose the best or most popular crags, or even crags where it will be dry today! The main point it to get people talking about each crag - what there is to climb there, good points, bad points, any access problems, etc. If you spot any mistakes, or if you have any comments about the crag or photos of climbing there, please send them in!

Crag nameLoch Tollaidh Crags[Missing photo!]

LocationRoss & Cromarty, Northern Scotland
Grid RefUNKNOWN
RocktypeUNKNOWN
AltitudeUNKNOWN
Routes0
LogbooksRoute descriptions, grades & voting
Aspect?-facing
GuidebooksUNKNOWN
Features[More info, including map reference, welcome - UKC Ed]
AccessUNKNOWN directions/access notes
Updates
Click to  if you have newer information.

Volunteer to moderate Loch Tollaidh Crags
We rely on volunteers to moderate their local crags. You would check updates and approve climbs added to the database. It's a very easy job, and all you need is a bit of local knowledge. [ read more ]

CommentsThere are no comments for this crag available.
Click to Submit a comment about this crag.

PhotosThere are no photos of this crag available.
Click to Submit a new photo for this crag.
 lummox 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Charles Arthur - UKC: are these crags in the N Highlands guides ? Grateful for any info on general midgieness and if there is much there sub E1. Cheers !
 Mike C 16 Jan 2007
In reply to lummox:

In the new Northern Highlands Central guide, also covered by the Wild West Topo series. The area can be midgey, can't say for the crags specifically, except some are quite low lying in damp ground, so odds are high. IIRC quite a few routes sub E1 but don't have the guide or topo to hand.
 lummox 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Mike C: thanks Mike- think my mate has an old Wild West topo kicking around- mebe it covers the Loch Tollaidh crags..
 Stuart S 16 Jan 2007
In reply to lummox:

Don't think there's a huge amount sub-E1, though there is an old Patey route which is supposed to be quite good.

If you can push the boat out to E2 5b, then The Bug is supposed to be close to as good an E2 as you'll find anywhere in the country.
 Chris Fryer 16 Jan 2007
In reply to lummox: They are sufficiently covered in the Scottish Rock Climbs Guide too.

A few other lower grade crags in that area look pretty good.
 lummox 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Chris Fryer: thanks chaps- is the Scottish Rock climbs the new-ish guide ? Might have top pick it up for the next rock trip up North .
 Stuart S 16 Jan 2007
In reply to lummox:

That's the one - by far the best guide the SMC have ever produced. Just a shame they forgot to include representation from the Northeast...
 lummox 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Stuart S: cheers Stuart- sorry to be fick- you mean the NE crags aren`t represented ? Or people aren`t ? Really enjoyed Mid Clyth last year- might have a return tussle.
 Stuart S 16 Jan 2007
In reply to lummox:

I was meaning crags from the Aberdeen coast really. There are some lovely granite seacliffs to the north of the city that were ignored in favour of less attractive areas elsewhere (just defending my local turf!).

Not made it up to the Caithness seacliffs yet - if I'm going to travel that far, I'd rather go to the west coast and get the sun on the crags, though I have heard good things about Sarclet and Latheronwheel.
 Norrie Muir 16 Jan 2007
In reply to lummox:
> (In reply to Charles Arthur - UKC) are these crags in the N Highlands guides ? Grateful for any info on general midgieness

I did a couple of routes there once. It was so midgie infested that I never went back.
 lummox 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Stuart S: we were only over there because the snow level was down to c. 300m - on the later May BH trip ! It was snowing at sea level when we were contemplating Foinaven.. hence sea cliff trip. Mid Clyth was really warm and sunny, actually.

Latheronwheel looked pretty good but there were a hell of a lot of seabirds nesting/kicking about.

p.s. I can recommend Lybster (?). Now that`s a weird village.
heather monkey 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Stuart S:
The Bug is on Tollie Crag at Loch Maree: http://www.ukclimbing.com/databases/crags/craginfo.html?id=775
which is different from the Loch Tollaidh Crags which are the variety of buttresses on the far side of the wee loch on your right as you head towards Poolewe from Gairloch. Very similar area but much more amenable (ie sub E1) climbing & a lot less midgies at the Loch Tollaidh Crags.
lummox if you want info on the climbing in the area email either of the Wild West Topos guys, they are both very approachable & helpful, email links on their homepage: http://www.wildwesttopos.com/
I would recommend In The Pink HVS & Rough Slab VS & wellies - for the walk-in, not a climb.
 lummox 16 Jan 2007
In reply to heather monkey: thanks v. much Heather- can you still pick up topos in the pub in Gairloch ?

p.s. the way I climb, wellies would make no difference !
heather monkey 16 Jan 2007
In reply to lummox:
Dunno about the pubs, but you can definitely get them from the (very nice) coffee shop in Poolewe. I think Paul would post them as well.
Other very enjoyable sub E1 climbing available within a 10 min drive from Gairloch at Stone Valley & Ravens Crag. But you'll need more topos for them.
 lummox 16 Jan 2007
In reply to heather monkey: ta ! Did Open Secret at Stone Valley a fair few years ago.. v.good but didn`t seem to be much else about. I`m sure it`s all been developed since then.
 Jamie B 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Stuart S:

He's probably on about this one:

http://www.cordee.co.uk/CCN031.php

Follows the format of the selected guide; more photo-topos and a whole shedload of crags and routes formerly only covered by Wild West Topos. This is now arguably the best roadside cragging area in Scotland.
 Mike C 16 Jan 2007
In reply to lummox:

Just had a decko at the Topo, a reasonable amount around VS/HVS, the odd route below. Mostly gets the afternoon sunshine so that may help keep the midgies at bay on a sunny day.

Last time I was over there you could pick up the topos in the Tourist Office in Gairloch & the place in Poolewe (?) that makes it's own outdoor wear. Sorry, can't remember the name of it but I'm sure someone can. Needlesports also sell them by mail order.
 Jamie B 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Mike C:

To be honest, the topos are now largely superceded by the above. They're good, but to get any kind of comprehensive coverage you'd be spending way more than than on Northern Highlands Central, which also gives you Fisherfield, Strathcarron and the Bhonnaid Dhonn.
 Mike C 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Jamie B.:

I agree, it's a great guide, I have it too, just it was easier to grab the topo to see the spread of grades. I got the topos when there was no other worthwhile guide available. I still like the pics though.

I'm more willing to trust the grades in the SMC guide too.
Yorkspud 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Stuart S:
> (In reply to lummox)
>
> Don't think there's a huge amount sub-E1, though there is an old Patey route which is supposed to be quite good.
>
> If you can push the boat out to E2 5b, then The Bug is supposed to be close to as good an E2 as you'll find anywhere in the country.

It is and the other routes look great too. When I went there were no midges but it had been a hot, dry summer. Brilliant rock superb climbs but if lummox wants sub E1 he's better heading for Diabaeg
 Jamie B 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Yorkspud:

> if lummox wants sub E1 he's better heading for Diabaig

Really can't agree with you here. Although Diabaig has one of the best HVS on the planet (Route II) there are maybe about three other sub extreme routes of any worthwhileness. At the Thollaidh crags there are literaly hundreds.

Chris Fryer 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Stuart S:
> (In reply to lummox)
>
> That's the one - by far the best guide the SMC have ever produced. Just a shame they forgot to include representation from the Northeast...

What do you mean? They included the best of the NE; Glen Clova?
Mysteriously omitted Arbroath Sea Cliffs though.

lummox 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Chris Fryer: thanks to all- guess I`ll have to liberate the wad and buy the new guide..
 Mike C 17 Jan 2007
In reply to lummox:

Note that 2 diferent guides are being talked about here. Chris & Stuart are referring to the Scottish Rock Climbs one (selected), which lists 5 routes under E1 at Loch Tollaidh, whilst Jamie & I are talking about the very new Northern Highlands Central, which lists 93 routes sub E1 (how sad is that, I've just counted them all!).
heather monkey 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Mike C:
Geek!
 Stuart S 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Chris Fryer:

> What do you mean? They included the best of the NE; Glen Clova?

Thought we were talking about a climbers guide, not one for botanists!

> Mysteriously omitted Arbroath Sea Cliffs though.

That's not so mysterious (my own fondness for Arbroath is more to do with convenienve and quantity, rather than quality).

What is more odd is why the north Aberdeen granite seacliffs were left out, particularly given that seacliff climbing is something of a rarity in global climbing terms, and this is a guide for visitors.

http://www.cubbyimages.co.uk/artprints-image.asp?catid=157&name=Climbin...
 Chris Fryer 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Stuart S: I agree its a shame there is nothing NE of a line through Logie Head / Ballater / Clova, yet Cummingston makes it in?
Yorkspud 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Jamie B.:

That's memory for you - I've lost the guide so couldn't and couldn't recall easier ones!
 Jamie B 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Yorkspud:

Your thinking of Tollie Crags, which is indeed very limited at sub-extreme.
 El Greyo 18 Jan 2007
These lovely little crags have some very good climbing on excellent rock.

Just to clear up any confusion: the Loch Tollaidh Crags are a collection of smallish (I think all 1 pitch) crags scattered on the southeast side of Loch Tollaidh which is a small loch a couple of miles west of the North-west end of Loch Maree. They are different from Tollie Crag which overlooks Loch Maree and contains Bug.

I've filled in a few details on the crag database, but I've only been there once about 6 years ago so my memory is a bit hazy so it would be good if someone more knowledgeable could check my entries and add some more. It seemed a bit sad to have: Crag of the Day, Grid Ref unknown, rock type unknown, altitude unknown etc.
Yorkspud 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Jamie B.:

That would explain it - memory still crap though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...