UKC

NEWS: Cold Wind Heats Up Action On God's Own Rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 17 Jan 2007
Sunday was almost a perfect Gritstone day, the showers retreated, the sky was blue and the temperatures were low. Stanage was packed with punters like myself cruising Diffs and VS's and having a whale of a time. Conditions were also perfect for those operating a little higher up our unique British grading scale.

Full details.... http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 graeme jackson 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
I thought this was going to be an article about Northumberland. You've got the title wrong.
 CJD 17 Jan 2007

ha ha, I like the fact that Ben Bransby was going
to use his mum and dog as spotters
OP Michael Ryan 17 Jan 2007

Paul Diffley at Hot Aches has further pics of James Pearson on Promise.

http://hotaches.blogspot.com/

This Sunday looks like wall to wall sunshine and cold air for Grit lovers everywhere!
I will however be working, tomorrow I will be day off and the weather is going to be absolute shite!
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:

From James Pearson

Thought you guys might be interested in a bit of info and some of my feelings about the route?

A few years ago I decided I would like put up my own hard grit route. I wanted to climb something that was a great line, had fantastic moves, was technically at another level and also very bold. I racked my brains, asked lots of friends and scoured through guidebooks but nothing seemed right. I realized that if I wanted to stand a good chance doing something really hard then I needed to get stronger and so started to dedicate more of my time to bouldering.
For the last two years I have been pretty much only bouldering and it has made a big difference to my strength and general ability. I first looked at the arête right of superstition about one year ago but it was too hard to contemplate leading, at the start of this season, I got psyched for it once again and I was surprised to find the moves felt a lot easier. I managed to link it in two sections and the process began…

The climbing on The Promise is powerful, technical and very conditions dependant. The landing is very, very poor and the crux comes right at the top. It is a very intense route, you don’t even get chance to chalk. The bottom half is overhanging, with big moves on good holds, the top half is vertical, with crimps, pockets, pebbles and slopers, all of them small and poor. I found it very hard to link in one, falling on the last moves more often than not. The climbing is both physically and mentally harder than Equilibrium E10 7a.

The day of the lead was like most other day on the route in that, on a toprope, I fell off the last move lots and lots. Eventually the sun went down, the conditions improved and everything felt easy on the lead. I even got to make a trade mark sketch!

It feels really good to have it done, for the last month or so this has been a major part of my life and I was begining to doubt if I would get it done. I was planning on bouldering again for the near future but I have definitely got a little of my route psych back and have had a sneaky look at one or two other “last great problems”, time will tell…

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,6749.20.html
 Jon Greengrass 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Mick you're so hopelessly out of touch, why bother reporting this as news, are you trying for a job in the BBC newsroom?
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

I do get a tad bored of these comments, but I'll give you my pat reply.

We have 25,000+ registered users at UKClimbing.com and over 150,000 different people visit the site each month. Not all are as switched on as some of you keenie newshounds and have the time to troll the web for news. They use UKClimbing.com as their only news source, and as a portal to other sources.

Some reports we get up right away, others not right away. Some are from other sources, some are generated by us, some are sent to us. This is the nature of news in any media. You will see plenty of examples of this on our news page.

We have a tiny staff and we try are best. Our news pages get read by over 50,000 climbers each month so we must be getting something right. They are the most popular climbing news pages in the UK, of any media, print or web.

As you can see, our news page is quite diverse, like our readership.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

But as always Jon, I appreciate your concern.

Have a lovely evening.

Mick
 UKB Shark 17 Jan 2007

Mick,

FWIW as a recent critic I thought your write up was timely enough (2 days after) newsworthy, low on hype and buzzwords, high on fact and content, balanced and interesting.

Best, Simon
 DannyC 17 Jan 2007

well said. i'm not online all the time. i can't be arsed trawling through loads of sites for info. if it comes on here a bit later then so what... not really that big an issue surely.

the parthian shot direct line looks absolutely stunning. it's a pity it wasn't filmed although might've been difficult in the dark.
danny.
In reply to Simon Lee:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Mick,
>
> FWIW as a recent critic

Thanks Simon, it is worth a lot. I listen to critics and of course take on board good suggestions.

I want to produce the best climbing news service in the UK and I can not do it without your feedback.

I don't live in an ivory tower issuing diktats.

Mick
 Oli 17 Jan 2007
In reply to DannyC: I thought child's play went straight up to the flake, not up the left arete?

Is the start of the line shown in the linked topo on here, not the bottom section of braille traille direct?
 Jon Read 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Oli:
There's an old Paul Mitchell E4 up the arete to the break, isn't there? Also down as CP in the new guide. Bit of a grade discrepancy E4 or E7, eh?
 Oli 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Jon Read: So am i correct in what i was thinking?
 Jon Read 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Oli: From the Peak new route's database on this site:

Child's Play E7 6c Darren Thomas on-sight 13/Aug/95

Essentially a direct start to Parthian Shot. Climb the centre of the face on cruel crimps and an amazing move on a flake to reach a rib then a huge reach or dyno to gain the horizontal break below the initial dyno on Parthian Shot. A very hard route which is a dangerous eliminate.

It looks like you're right. Did the Auzzie's go up the arete for sure?
 robin mueller 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Jon Read:

Sounds like they went up the slab - quote from planetfear:

> Ben climbed the 'official' direct start to the route, up Child's Play (E7 6c - though he reckoned 6b). This 'fun little slab' joins Parthion at the undercut (that Johnny hangs one handed in Stone Monkey)

http://planetfear.com/news_detail.asp?n_id=6082
word 17 Jan 2007
In reply to robin mueller:
they went to the arete. Childs Play went up the slab, via a hard, eliminate move to get to the break. This is probably why there is the confusion about the tec grade as the move to the break on CP is hard (6c) but Lee said he thought the direct start was around 6a
 robin mueller 18 Jan 2007
In reply to word:
> (In reply to robin mueller)
> they went to the arete. Childs Play went up the slab, via a hard, eliminate move to get to the break. This is probably why there is the confusion about the tec grade as the move to the break on CP is hard (6c) but Lee said he thought the direct start was around 6a

It says on planetfear that he thought thought it was 6b:

>Ben climbed the 'official' direct start to the route, up Child's Play (E7 6c - though he reckoned 6b).

So is the planetfear report wrong?
word 18 Jan 2007
No, not wrong, because the PF report was from BEN. I said LEE thought it arround 6a.
 Nj 18 Jan 2007
> (In reply to Simon Lee)
> [...]
>
> Thanks Simon, it is worth a lot. I listen to critics and of course take on board good suggestions.
>
> I want to produce the best climbing news service in the UK and I can not do it without your feedback.
>
> I don't live in an ivory tower issuing diktats.
>
> Mick

I second these thoughts, it is newsworthy and good to read on here, keep it up. All news is always welcome...
 robin mueller 18 Jan 2007
In reply to word: In reply to word:
> (In reply to robin mueller)
> No, not wrong, because the PF report was from BEN. I said LEE thought it arround 6a.

Fair enough. So just to be clear, Ben and Lee had different opinions on the grade of the direct start, but they both went up the arete, not the slab? (and didn't actually do child's play, but the E4 to the left?)

Whatever the case - Parthian Shot by headtorch - blimey!
 Mike Hartley 18 Jan 2007

Grit?! God's own rock?! Never seen a mod put a troll up before.
OP Michael Ryan 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Mike Hartley:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Grit?! God's own rock?! Never seen a mod put a troll up before.

I first heard "God's Own Rock" from the mouth of the Grit God, Jerry Peel sometime in the 80's at a Yorkshire Grit guidebook meeting in Leeds.

Mick

Nick Beckett 18 Jan 2007
In reply to graeme jackson: Where's northumberland!
 Boy Global Crag Moderator 18 Jan 2007
> (In reply to word) In reply to word:
> [...]
>
> Fair enough. So just to be clear, Ben and Lee had different opinions on the grade of the direct start, but they both went up the arete, not the slab? (and didn't actually do child's play, but the E4 to the left?)

Someone earlier said:
> they went to the arete.

This suggests climbing up the wall but joining the arete at some point.
I'll ask Ben next time I see him

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...