UKC

"Severe" Weather..... apparently

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Do you remember when schools shut because it snowed?

Well now schools are shutting because the wind!

And the BBC News 24 is showing "extreme" weather pics that people have taken today. One taken in Scotland, picture of a car with about 1/2" of snow on it.

I ask you.

smithy 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb:

It's getting pretty bad out there.

This morning, when I woke up, there was a leaf on the drive way, and the wind has just gone and picked it up. It's no-where to be seen now.

God is punishing us.

Little Brew 18 Jan 2007
In reply to smithy: AH! not the leaf! saying that on my way in to work i did drive through a puddle the width of the road, and about 15m long! and it was atleast 6" deep! so it is a bit damp out there!

stoped raning here for now.

Jess.x
 smithy 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Little Brew:

If I'm being serious, it is actually pretty windy out there! It's more than enough to stop me from going out riding!!
ICE 18 Jan 2007
In reply to smithy: expect your train to be cancelled this morning then.
 Jimmy D 18 Jan 2007

There's been considerable flooding and structural damage round my way (West Yorks, Todmorden/Hebden Bridge area), so that's not so good
 Flatlander 18 Jan 2007

yep pretty windy in Hackney at the moment even the trees are moving a bit!
moomin 18 Jan 2007

45-52 mph here apparently...

www.xcweather.co.uk
 climbingpixie 18 Jan 2007

It's a wee bit gusty in Liverpool. Some dumbass clearly didn't look at the weather forecast when he decided to leave a load of insulation boards on top of a portacabin and my cabin has just been hit by one of them flying off the roof. It's pretty scary stuff, my cabin is shaking in an alarming manner.
 Monk 18 Jan 2007
In reply to ICE:
> (In reply to smithy) expect your train to be cancelled this morning then.

Oh yes! And then I miss the bus because of that (only 1 an hour) so have to cycle in the wind and rain knowing that my waterproof trousers are at home as I forgot to pick them up before I left. I actually had to pedal downhill because the headwind was so strong! It was kinda fun though!
Yorkspud 18 Jan 2007

Small people are being blown through the air here.
 k2ted 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: very windy near preston with 2 lorries blown over on the m6 near here......big proper lorries too.
 TN 18 Jan 2007
In reply to k2ted:

I drove back from Reading and a big lorry blew over just ahead of me on the M1 - looked like it had gone over onto the central reservation barrier. Shook me up, so I do hope the driver was okay...
In reply to climbingpixie:

> It's a wee bit gusty in Liverpool. Some dumbass clearly didn't look at the weather forecast when he decided to leave a load of insulation boards on top of a portacabin and my cabin has just been hit by one of them flying off the roof. It's pretty scary stuff, my cabin is shaking in an alarming manner.

Update: The pallet that they put on top of the remaining boards has also just been blown off the roof, crashing down into another cabin. The site has been closed for safety reason due to the flying debris. Unfortunately, being cabin bound, I don't think it appplies to me
 2pints 18 Jan 2007

DO you ever suffer from "Cabin Fever" Pixie?

I'd hate to work in a confined space

Bit breezy here in Leeds, but at least the rain has stopped.
 vixen 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Jimmy D:
my new fences are blowing down, and I have just tethered them up with tent guys, not sure if that will do the trick
 Judd_IV 18 Jan 2007

Ha - I'm off work - YES too snowy the road is closed.

I'm watching rubbish day time tv.
 El Greyo 18 Jan 2007

A large tree has been blown down by the wind here, very close to a car park. You would not want to have been under it. Is that 'severe' enough for you?
Kev on the road 18 Jan 2007
My neighbors stone wall has just been blown on to the pavement.
It's all very exciting.
 k2ted 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: Ive now noticed a flag outside flapping violently in the wind...
 smithy 18 Jan 2007

Ok, it's actually quite windy! Just been for a warm up run, the wind slowed me down to about 10 min/mile pace, and I had to keep running in the road to avoid trees that have fallen down, big branches that have come off, and fence panels that are all over the place! I saw quite a few tree surgeons vans out and about, so it must be a good day for business!!

Emac601 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Kev on the road:

I think I might be stuck in London Just checked and loads of trains have been cancelled to the Shires - serves me right for living in a stupid place with a silly name :p

P.S. - Kev hope you feel better - can I have your rack if it gets serious :p

Em x
Hotbad Peteel 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Emac601:

oh dear. Do you think the wind will affect the jubilee line?
p
 Jon Greengrass 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: I was going to go to the local mountain bike trail building club AGM tonight, just found out that it has been cancelled by the Forestry Commision incase a tree falls on the building.
 Jamesclimb 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: Disaster 6” of snow, a bit of water in the road and the world will grind to a halt how will we cope.
Emac601 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:

Funnily enough, I think the underground will be fine?!? Although saying that, the Metropolitan line has delays and so does the Northern because of debris on the track.

Em (assuming that you aren't taking the p*ss Pete)

Tony Buckley 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: The Thelwall viaduct has been closed in both directions due to the wind. If you're heading up or down the M6, find another route. Warrington will be choked as a consequence, so don't try that one. If Barton Bridge (M60) closes as well, there'll be an awful lot of traffic-related fun.

T.
Pinky 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Emac601:
Depends if the line goes above ground really doesn't it.

Oh and there are also certain stations that seem rather prone to flooding from what I can remember.
Kinley 18 Jan 2007

It's a bit blowy in Leigh, but it's very warm and sunny, and not unpleasant.
 Jason Kirk 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Emac601:

I think he's trolling and enjoying others pain.
 Katie Weston 18 Jan 2007
Normally I sleep through everything (even a tent falling down around me!) the wind and rain woke me up last night, so using that as my highly scientifi standard I would say that yes the weather was a bit rough in Sheffield last night!
 Jimmy D 18 Jan 2007

Getting pretty wild in Halifax now (weather, that is).

I'm just behind the Liver building and its interesting watching the wind whipping up the water down the Mersey and in the docks...

Bit worried about the massive crane by the Raddison SAS which is right next to our office, its wobbling a fair bit!!
 Al Evans 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Katie Weston: You are all just making this up aren't you, just because I posted my spring thread, trying to make me feel sorry for you.
Anonymous 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Jamesclimb:
> (In reply to just wanna climb) Disaster 6” of snow, a bit of water in the road and the world will grind to a halt how will we cope.

Get down TESCO NOW & buy all the bread, who knows when they'll get another delivery!!!!

I had the same reaction as the first few posters when I read this, but then I read my emails. Here in Germany, Armageddon is due to arive around 5pm (GMT). Lectures cancelled, people told to stay in their homes and so on. One local told me this has never happened before in the 30 years she's lived here. So I'd say quite severe, yes.
 JDDD 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Tony Buckley:
> If Barton Bridge (M60) closes as well, there'll be an awful lot of traffic-related fun.

Please don't go there. I use this on my way home. It was proper fun going over it this morning. I had to put two hands on the wheel and everything!
Nim 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: It's extreme here. A Tesco carrier bag has just drifted past my window. It was almost arty.
 Anni 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

Not surprised. The trees outside here are looking dodgy, and bits of our roof are looking and sounding like they might come off shortly...
In reply to Jason Kirk:
> (In reply to Emac601)
>
> I think he's trolling and enjoying others pain.

I'd do no such thing. I'll have to walk along the waterfront and that gets bloomin windy. Fingers crossed the DLR will be fine.
p
 k2ted 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: tiles are now flying off the roof onto cars at our other office in warrington. doesnt happen a lot.
In reply to Anni:

I'd not thought about my roof. Luckyily, the guy who worked on my roof last summer is doing some building work for me in the house. won't be a problem getting any repairs done then.
p
Removed User 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: my tiles are starting to rattle and its gusting very badly here at black rocks, M1 been closed off in both directions in south yorkshire.
Emac601 18 Jan 2007

Don't know if this will help for getting home:

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/im/RD-T.html
In reply to Removed User:

umm. I've got to go to Hertfordshire on the M1 early evening, so I'm just hoping it may have eased a bit by then. It's very bad in Belper right now.

OK, it's fairly windy. WOO HOO!
 Tiggs 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Its v.v. windy in South Hertfordshire at the mo. No rain and intermittent sunshine through grey cloud.
In reply to Emac601:

Cheers. I've got about 300 yds to walk on the waterfront that i'd rather avoid. It'll mess up my hair
p
 Mike C 18 Jan 2007

Dead calm & the sun is shining in Aberdeen at the moment
Emac601 18 Jan 2007

Almost got blown infront of a train on the way in this morning - it was very exciting.

Don't give a monkeys about my hair - always looks a mess, but makes a great scarf :p
 2pints 18 Jan 2007

It's a shit day to be working in Home Insurance

4hours to go.
In reply to Tiggs:

Thanks Tiggs. I'm hopeful that it's going to ease this evening.

BTW, a container ship has just sunk off the Lizard. Everyone rescued.
Rosie A 18 Jan 2007

The current state of the majority of school buildings could mean the kids are endangered by gusting winds... less embarrassing to send them home?
 Banned User 77 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: I just went back to our house in Nant Peris and none of the water falls in the pass are reaching the ground, they look like steam from a train being blown back up in the air.

The neighbours door was blown open, deadlock smashed, so pretty windy.
Hjonesy 18 Jan 2007

Anybody know where you can get up to date reports on whether the trains (over-land) are running ok? I've tried www.tfl.org.uk but that only says about engineering works and bearing in mind that my trains were messed up about 3 days ago when there was a mild breeze and they couldn't cope I'm worried that as I've almost just been blown off my feet in London that they won't be running this evening when I want to go home.
 Batcloud 18 Jan 2007

People have died out there today.
 ebygomm 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/

choose the rail company
In reply to Emac601:

It was pretty windy when I woke up. I've never heard the wind whistling round the house before, and ceretainly not as loud as it was. Theres a fair breeze coming through the window of my office which is about 3 stories down from the top near soho so you can guess how small a gap the winds managing to get down.
p
In reply to Lightweight_2005:

> Bit worried about the massive crane by the Raddison SAS which is right next to our office, its wobbling a fair bit!!

I'm worried as hell looking at one of the cranes over here (Thomas' Lane). It doesn't look like it's been turned to face the wind properly and it's twisting and wobbling like mad. The host of worried looking banksmen watching it are not allaying my fears. At least it's not over a residential/office area if it does come down.

Hjonesy 18 Jan 2007
In reply to ebygomm:
> (In reply to Hjonesy)
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/
>
> choose the rail company

Thanks!

Mine are disrupted already. Oh joy.
Emac601 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

http://nrekb.nationalrail.co.uk/incidents/today.html

This might help or you can try the train company's web-site.

Em
Emac601 18 Jan 2007

Liverpool street is great fun - lot's of posh people trying to look refined as they get blown down the street into each other

Great kite weather
In reply to Emac601:

Its not really that windy round here, too many buildings. I dont see what the problem is to be honest. Meant to be a bit windy up at my parents though. What did they expect when they moved to the lakes.
p
 Tiggs 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Emac601: Its days like this when you can feel smug about wearing your foul weather gear into town and staying dry and warm, whilst everyone else doesn't.
Jon Hemlock 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Emac601:

The police have just closed Lime Street (Lloyds building road). There's crowds of onlookers looking up at the elevated construction site.

I think the police are worried that the big crane may not last the day. Now that would be expensive!
 Liam M 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: The shack of an office I'm in on top of the building keeps wobbling and rattling - most of us are convinced it will break free and take off before long.
 Jimmy D 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to Emac601) Its days like this when you can feel smug

Or alternatively feel foolish knowing that you've got all the gear to withstand arctic conditions, but it's all at home and you're close to getting hypothermic waiting for your train in your suit.
Hjonesy 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to Emac601) Its days like this when you can feel smug about wearing your foul weather gear into town and staying dry and warm, whilst everyone else doesn't.

I did that this morning too!

Was snug as a bug and not wet through like everyone else on my train! Didn't get a seat though so wasn't THAT smug for long. It seems the bad weather would necessitate my train operator to shorten the train by 4 carriages at rush hour! Hmmmmmm.......thanks for that!
 woolsack 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to Tiggs)
>
> Thanks Tiggs. I'm hopeful that it's going to ease this evening.
>
> BTW, a container ship has just sunk off the Lizard. Everyone rescued.

Glad the crew are OK, shame about all the nasty cheap Chinese crap that went down in the containers though
 pinkie 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Jimmy D:
i live in this area and tree branches and alsorts are blowing around- i had to walk home in this wind half hour ago, i had to stop walking at one point cos the wind was so strong........the wind is howling round me house at least 80-90 miles an hour -its Serious u tell ya,,, be carefull out there !
Robert Dickson 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: It is actually fairly windy here at Jodrell Bank, we're measuring 84mph winds and the Lovell is roaring in quite an alarming fashion!

Bob
Emac601 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Jon Hemlock:

I think that might be the one putting up our competitors building :P That would be a shame!

Wish they would shut my office, have loads of house work to be getting on with
 smithy 18 Jan 2007

Wow, the house across the road has lost all the err...cornery things off the roof on one side, and I can see daylight where I shouldn't be able to!

Looking down the road quite a few houses are the same!!

It's a bit, err, gusty out there...

AND I'm watching a crap disaster film about a killer flood...

Funky Hair 18 Jan 2007

These gale force winds are seriously doing no good in every way conceivable. I can't step out of the house or office without my hair being messed up making me look like a right mop thus giving me seriously bad hair day which affects my sanity and therefore people around me get affected too etc etc. what's the world coming to.. baarrgh
 Tiggs 18 Jan 2007
> (In reply to Tiggs)
>
> Thanks Tiggs. I'm hopeful that it's going to ease this evening.

What time are you leaving? I could post weather conditions for nearer the time. It seems to be getting windier, albeit remaining dry.
>
> BTW, a container ship has just sunk off the Lizard. Everyone rescued.

Cripes, the seas can be terrible around the Lizard it must be incredibly rough. Glad to hear the crew's ok, thankfully its not an oil tanker.

Tony Buckley 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman:

> Please don't go there.

I think it's just been closed...

T.
 Tiggs 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Funky Hair: Wear a hat!
 alj 18 Jan 2007

M1 closed between 29 and 30 at the mo.
 CJD 18 Jan 2007

how exciting - the road outside my building has been closed, because the building across the road, which is awaiting demolition, seems to have been given a helping hand.
 Tony Buckley 18 Jan 2007
Plus there are some impressive wind speeds recorded on the George Fisher weather station...115 mph plus.

http://www.georgefisheronline.co.uk/keswick_weather_1.shtml

T.
In reply to CJD:

Which building is that? How's the phase 3 extension holding up?
Anonymous 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: A school in Liverpool has just had its windows blown in, makes a change from them being bricked I suppose...
rich 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: ooooh

We are currently experiencing damage to windows around the site due to the excessive high winds today. Could all staff please keep windows closed until the winds subside?

We also have some cases of falling tiles and slates and would ask you to be careful when passing close to buildings.

good advice i reckon although how i'm supposed to 'be careful' in this context escapes me

bluebrad 18 Jan 2007
> (In reply to Lightweight_2005)
>
> [...]
>
> I'm worried as hell looking at one of the cranes over here (Thomas' Lane). It doesn't look like it's been turned to face the wind properly and it's twisting and wobbling like mad.

Unless they have left it "in gear" then it will swing to the direction of the wind and even if they have left it "in gear"
rest assured that it won't be that way for long.

bluebrad
 CJD 18 Jan 2007
In reply to steve barnbrook:

oh that's fine I think, except some of the construction chaps are standing around looking a bit concerned.

it's st. Peter's building which seems to be on auto-destruct.
 ebygomm 18 Jan 2007
In reply to rich:

At present in the extreme weather conditions some parts of the car park, are potentially dangerous. The structure of the building is causing a vortex and funnelling the wind along the parking floors. Extreme caution is advised when entering or leaving the area on foot and by car.

rich 18 Jan 2007
In reply to ebygomm: dammit - that beats mine
 dpmUK 18 Jan 2007
In reply to ebygomm:

"potentially dangerous" ?

What does it take for it be just plain dangerous then?
 KeithW 18 Jan 2007

A tree in out grounds just blew down.

Didn't hit the Exec Car Park, we're all pleased to see.
stevebt 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: next doors Motorbike has just blown over " ouch" & most of my guttering has come down ....Buggered if im going up a ladder in this wind to fix it !!!!
Nick B 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: My wife has put been sent home from work as the building has lost a large part of its roof.
 CJD 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Nick B:

I have a horrible feeling that rather a lot of the roof of my house will have fallen off.

still, hurrah for renting and being able to shout at someone else about it.
Yorkspud 18 Jan 2007

Rioting in streets around here now. Water mains are burst and panes of glass are beheading folk.
 TN 18 Jan 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Nick B)
>
> I have a horrible feeling that rather a lot of the roof of my house will have fallen off.
>

Yes, I am dreading a similar thing at our house...

There's 'something' on our office roof that's making some strange noises and the office manager has just been outside looking very concerned. And our lights keep going out. *luckily* the UPSs are keeping the computers going. Yippee...
Clauso 18 Jan 2007

I blame the Muslims...
Jon Hemlock 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Yorkspud:

pmsl
 ebygomm 18 Jan 2007
In reply to dpmUK:
> "potentially dangerous" ?
>
> What does it take for it be just plain dangerous then?

Don't know, but potentially means they'll still let me in to retrieve my car so I'm quite happy with that

Jon Hemlock 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Clauso:

Nah it's just a False-Flag attack.

Woolsack will be on in a minute with some link to a dubious website showing us a secret government wind machine.
 AlisonSmiles 18 Jan 2007
The roof has blown off Asda and they've closed the shop. 10 foot metal fence panels from the local building site are blowing around my work car park. We're all hiding indoors and checking our insurance policies.
Nick B 18 Jan 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Nick B)
>
> I have a horrible feeling that rather a lot of the roof of my house will have fallen off.
>
My wife has just got home, our roof seems to be holding up pretty well. She reported an altercation between a BMW and a tree on the journey home, the BMW lost (no one seriously hurt).

CJD 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Nick B:

I live in a big old victorian house that's needed reroofing for ages. I don't think this wind is going to help.
 KeithW 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Yorkspud:
> (In reply to just wanna climb)
>
> Rioting in streets around here now.

I for one welcome our new Weather Overlords.
Jon Hemlock 18 Jan 2007
In reply to CJD:

My colleagues wife has just phoned him. ALL their fence panels have just blown away.
 Anni 18 Jan 2007
In reply to CJD:

Im getting the same feeling as we already know the roof of the house isnt in the best condition. Speaking to the landlady means speaking to the b*tch from hell stepmother of my boyfriend. Not good.

Big old branches flying off the trees and debris from a demolition site accross the road funelling around. Some of the celing pannels have been blown in on parts of the celilings in parts as well, and thats indoors...
Sharket 18 Jan 2007

um in a 6 mile stretch of road down here I've seen 5 trees down on the road, luckily we could just get round them but it was ratehr sefvere, still ludicrously windy - although bramblemet is saying max of 44.5 knots - i'd say more to be honest.
 2pints 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Sharket:
How fast is a knot in MPH?
Clauso 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Nick B:

Roof blown off? Luxury. Course, we had it strong, here in Dublin, last night. I woke up this morning and we'd lost our foundations.
 Jason Kirk 18 Jan 2007

Well it's defo windy here.

Jet ranger on the pan has just blown over. It doesn't look to healthy now. Almost got blown over tying the blades down on an enstrom afterwards.

Local Met station has recorded gusts in excess of 70 mph this afternoon.
Robert Dickson 18 Jan 2007
In reply to 2pints:
> (In reply to Sharket)
> How fast is a knot in MPH?
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=1+knot+in+mph&btnG=Google+Se...
 k2ted 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: our courier service at work said that there cud be some delays today due to the 'current bad weather'. when does bad become severe or is it a different grading system? French perhaps.
 Anni 18 Jan 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Nick B)
>
> I live in a big old victorian house that's needed reroofing for ages.

We live on the best preserved georgian street (apparently) in the country...not sure how well preserved itll be at the end of today... :oS
 toad 18 Jan 2007

>
> Cripes, the seas can be terrible around the Lizard it must be incredibly rough. Glad to hear the crew's ok, thankfully its not an oil tanker.

Though the coastguard (according to Radio 2 said it had a "hazardous" cargo...
 Graham T 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Emac601:
Doesn't look like any of us will be getting home on that line
http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/
 BrianT 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: I hope the wind is behind me cycling home. It never is though is it?
rich 18 Jan 2007
In reply to KeithW:
> (In reply to Yorkspud)
> [...]
>
> I for one welcome our new Weather Overlords.

properly lol :¬)
O Mighty Tim 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Clauso: Huh, YOU had it easy.
Our Lake's been blown 2 miles to the left. It's going to be hell, tonight. Our Mum insisting the gravel goes back just as it was.

Mind you, we had PROPER wind, back then...

TTG
 fimm 18 Jan 2007
Well, its quite calm here in Edinburgh (was snowing earlier). Take care, southerners!
Sharket 18 Jan 2007

just spoke to my dad and apparently some boat/s have sunk int he channel adn 26 poeple are still missing as they jumped overboard and they can't find them in this weather!

loads of container ships etc have been stopped and i'd be surprise dinf the red jet was working to the isle of wight at the moment.
Sharket 18 Jan 2007
In reply to fimm:
> (In reply to just wanna climb)
> Well, its quite calm here in Edinburgh (was snowing earlier). Take care, southerners!

hope it stays that way for next weekend (ie 26th-28th) I shall be coming north...
Clauso 18 Jan 2007
In reply to O Mighty Tim:

Your lake's been blown 2 miles to the left? That's nothing... This morning, OUR wind was so strong it blew the sky away, extinguished the sun AND made all the aeroplanes approaching Dublin airport fly in reverse. They're still up there now, desperately trying to land... AND YOU TALK TO ME ABOUT STRONG WIND? you don't know n'owt.
 Mita 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: My work colleague has just been informed by her husband that companies have been informed to keep their staff at work till the winds die down, and that will apparently be around 7pm tonight, you have no hell in chance keeping me at work till then.....
 Martin W 18 Jan 2007
In reply to fimm:

> Well, its quite calm here in Edinburgh

Yup, makes a pleasant change from the two or three 70mph-plus gales we had in December.

Reading about the ships in trouble reminds me that I saw the documentary about the Penlee lifeboat disaster last night. Serious respect to anyone heading out on a rescue mission in conditions like these, and I hope everyone gets home safe.
Jon Hemlock 18 Jan 2007
In reply to fimm:

Tie yourself down man! You're in the eye!
In reply to Mita:

> companies have been informed to keep their staff at work till the winds die down, and that will apparently be around 7pm tonight

LOL. I'd rather walk the couple of miles back to mine in the wind than stay at work until later than 4.30pm.
In reply to Clauso:

With wind this strong, i'd hate to be an owl.
p
 k2ted 18 Jan 2007

the barn owls wont come out if its raining. theyr'e like a big spongue for soaking water up.
 Jon Greengrass 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: We just had some workmen round to clean out the gutters, at first it looked like the big one was going to go up the ladder, then he realised that his smaller colleague might stand a better chance of not getting blown away if he was holding the ladder
gnarlycharles 18 Jan 2007
In reply to just wanna climb: here near southport theres trees downn and wagons on their rooves all over the place. i got sent home from college too cos there was 'bits falling off the roof' its too dangerous you see... hmmm. makes a change to rain i suppose
In reply to k2ted:

well its not raining. I'm imagining thery'll be drifting over the north sea by now, ready for a new life in the netherlands
p
O Mighty Tim 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Clauso: No, the lack of sun is normal for Ireland, it's just hiding behind the clouds.
Aer Linctus are renowned for approaching airports in reverse. Ryan Air drivers being ex fighter jocks are obviously teaching them hand brake turns on finals, I guess?

Anyway. I have to sleep with Vlad, and she's had cabbage soup. Now THAT's what I call strong wind. I found our quilt on the bed in teh next room last night!

TTG

P.S. Sharket? One container ship has gone down off the Lizard. All 26 crew are fine, removed by Culdrose choppers, and dropped onto RNLI vessel. It's on the BBC site...
Clauso 18 Jan 2007
In reply to k2ted:
>
> the barn owls wont come out if its raining. theyr'e like a big spongue for soaking water up.

My owls are kitted out with little owl-friendly Gore-tex coats for precisely that reason.
Clauso 18 Jan 2007

Three fishing trawlers have sunk off Co. Wexford in the last few days. Lots of crew were lost. If it's rough like this on land, it just doesn't bear thinking about how it must be out at sea.
Emac601 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Graham T:

I didn't want to go home anyway, I think work is so great I might sell my house and move in - B*gger that ;p

Will go to the pub and sit it out - what time you heading off? Give me a shout on the mobile and we can try and come with an evil and cunning plan for returning to the Shires
In reply to Emac601:

dont you work in the city? Could you go and sleep in one of those fancy city type sleeping pods?
p
 Jason Kirk 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Emac601:

Do you think you will come up with a workable pub after several jars?
 Graham T 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Emac601:
Ok, will do.
I'm keeping an eye on the train websites, but if it looks bad will give you a call.
Clauso 18 Jan 2007

I blame the increase in wind farming...
O Mighty Tim 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Clauso: Now there's a thought? Privatised wind farms getting charged by privatised wind generators...
Emac601 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Graham T:

King's Cross, Euston, Liverpool Street, King's Cross Thameslink all NOT running trains for the next 24 hours so I have been informed by people trying to get home.

Em - now off to the pub!
 2pints 18 Jan 2007
I blame the Labour government, or maybe Europe or maybe Paedophiles or maybe immigrants?
 CJD 18 Jan 2007
In reply to 2pints:

I blame 2pints.
 2pints 18 Jan 2007
In reply to CJD:

Proof that I am god (If there is one)
 CJD 18 Jan 2007
In reply to 2pints:

if you are, then there isn't.
Clauso 18 Jan 2007

I just think that maybe we're wind farming too intensively these days and that this severe weather is the result of generating too much wind... It's like when all the land farmers went nuts with fertilisers and all the stuff leached into the rivers and lakes and gave fish fingers?
Yorkspud 18 Jan 2007
In reply to KeithW:

Emergency disaster committees formed - birds flying backwards - dogs looking disturbed.
 sutty 18 Jan 2007

Just noticed, film on channel 5 ATM is called Tornado, and in 30 minutes the weakest link is on.

do the programme schedulers know something?
 Graham T 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Emac601:
Oh crap.
Will probably be joining you in a bit then
O Mighty Tim 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Clauso: It turned the frogs green too, you know?
Just wait until they go hydro and dams mad.
It'll rain like Billyo then, just so they can charge more.

8^(

At least they get better weather in France, because they have Nuclear Power. All those big concrete bricks block the wind, you see...
O Mighty Tim 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Graham T: Why can I hear an emergency RT London drinks meet coming???

8^)

TTG
 Greenbanks 18 Jan 2007
In reply to 2pints:

It would have been an exciting day on the crag.With the wind in the right direction I'd have upped it by a couple of grades
 Alan M 18 Jan 2007

Didnt think it was that bad until I turned the news on North West Today Weather was saying that winds in excess of 90mph+ had been recorded for parts of North West England...so I stand corrected it must have been pretty rough at times today for some areas.

Petzl 18 Jan 2007
So glad I'm working from home today and won't have to do battle with the roads.

The BBQ is making a spirited attempt to get to the other end of the garden and one small tree is now leaning at an unusual angle.

Just seen an e-mail from my sister on the catalogue of damage to their branches over the country - apparently not a good day to be the office manager for a national company!
 Graham T 18 Jan 2007
Talk to emma, it seems like it may be happening
In reply to Graham T:

cool, whereabouts? Unfortunately my tube home has good service so i might not be able to justify it to myself.
p
Clauso 18 Jan 2007

Reuters are reporting that all the ravens have left the Tower of London... I blame migrants from eastern Europe (storks, ibis etc.) taking their jobs and working for peanuts... Or hazelnuts, millet or bread. They're not too fussy those foreign birds?
 BrianT 18 Jan 2007
Lucky we don't live on Uranus. They get winds of 1000 mph there. Our foul-mouthed monopod friend JoHNY always wanted to visit Uranus, or so he said.
 elephant0907 18 Jan 2007

We had a power cut at school at 1:45. We weren't allowed down certain corridors without a teacher to escort us and weren't allowed to go to the library or anything. Obviously we couldn't use computers so the IT lessons must have been fun.
Columbia753 19 Jan 2007
> Do you remember when schools shut because it snowed?
>
> Well now schools are shutting because the wind!
>
> And the BBC News 24 is showing "extreme" weather pics that people have taken today. One taken in Scotland, picture of a car with about 1/2" of snow on it.
>
> I ask you.

The wind seems too have been pretty serious too me having watched the news an seen 11 people have been killed in total.
In reply to thewho: this thread falls into the RT tradition of calling everyone a pile of wusses for over reacting to natural phenomena. It is in the rules that you haver to do this. If a village is evacuated due to an erupting volcano, for example, you must reply "Erupting volcano? In my day we just got on with it. Waded to work knee deep in lava, wore an extra pair of socks to stop our feet scorching. In europe they have volcanos erupting all the time, but it never stops the trains running there as they are all painted with asbestos"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...