UKC

Sport Climbing UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jay1403 23 Jan 2007
In preparation for my holiday to Spain in August, can anyone recommend any Sport Climbing Venues in the UK where I can practice / improve my sport skills.

I am aware of places like Portland (which I will be visiting soon), but where else would be a good starter for ten with lower grade stuff, most of the good areas that I can see, seem to be higher grade climbs?

GrahamD 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Jay1403:

What aspect of sport climbing are you looking to practice ? The mechanics of sport climbing are pretty simple. just for clipping, falling and strength training a decent climbing wall is probably best.
 Richard Horn 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Jay1403:

I am afraid Portland is about as good as it gets in the UK in terms of sub-F7a climbing.
 Morgan Woods 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Jay1403:

aren't their quarried places ns sheff...not been but horseshoe is a name that springs to mind....have a looat rockfax.
 orge 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Aye, routes at Horseshoe and Intake start around 4-5 (excavator is def worth a look at Horseshoe) and there's a decent amount in the 6a-6c region. As a bonus, training on these "gems" will give you a greater appreciation of decent limestone abroad!

J

P.S. Helmet's are essential for both these venues, as they can be a bit loose.
 Morgan Woods 23 Jan 2007
In reply to orge:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods)
>
> As a bonus, training on these "gems" will give you a greater appreciation of decent limestone abroad!
>
always look on the bright side eh!
 martin riddell 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Jay1403:

bolted routes at Dumbarton Rock
Removed User 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Jay1403:

www.sportsclimbs.co.uk a site of the much maligned Gary Gibson. Lots of bolted quarry climbing amongst other things. However I would say that the point of sport climbing is that you can get on the harder stuff, the whole point of the bolts is that you can fall off ... dont be put off by the folk who feel that onsighting a gritstone vs gives them a greater insight into the soul of climbing and journey to Spain to flash a 5+ but imagine they retain the moral high ground ... get a clip stick and start redpointing ...
 Niall 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Removed User:
>... dont be put off by the folk who feel that onsighting a gritstone vs gives them a greater insight into the soul of climbing and journey to Spain to flash a 5+ but imagine they retain the moral high ground

Remember, NEVER return to a firework once its been lit
 Stuart S 24 Jan 2007
In reply to Richard Horn:

> I am afraid Portland is about as good as it gets in the UK in terms of sub-F7a climbing.

Might be the best for limestone, but Arbroath has as much choice and variety as anywhere, particularly in the F6a - F6c range

http://www.freewebs.com/arbroathclimbing/index.htm

Bit of a drive from Sheffield for the OP though, I guess...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...