UKC

Becoming a dad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anonymous 26 Jan 2007
Soon becoming a dad for the first time.

Should I hang up my climbing shoes for a couple of years or settle with getting out very infrequently?

All experiences from other dad welcome

niggle 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

Congrats!

I'm not a dad, but experiences seem to vary. Some of my friends have said they now have trouble committing to dangerous routes, some don't.

One is "limiting" himself to onsighting E5 from now on... git.

Removed User 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

Get out as much as you can now and when they are babies as they don't have much of an influence when really young.

You'll need to have an understanding missus and share the workload as much as possible but you don't need to hang up your climbing shoes, just be a bit flexible.

A certain famous climber said to me (and I won't tell who as his missus might read this) 'it's easy to leave your wife to go off climbing but much harder to leave your kids'.

I've found this to be more relevant as my oldest has learnt to talk and asks more questions.

I am speaking in the context of going away to climb which I often do for the winter stuff, not just an afternoons cragging.
grahamt 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
I'm in a similar situation - and currently trying to get as much climbing in as possible while I can. It's all a bit unknown what will happen in the future, though I'm sure I'll enjoy spending time with sprogs. Even more so when they can spot or belay...!
PJay 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
Absolutely keep climbing! And make sure your missus gets out too, walking if she doesn't like climbing, shopping if she doesn't like walking!!
If you both put your lives on hold for the child/-ren, then you'll both go stir crazy!
Totally agree about not commiting to hard or dangerous routes, but to give it up altogether would be disaster.
Also, you're going to need all the physical fitness you can muster once jnr starts walking hahahahahahahaa, been there, still doing that !
 Mal Grey 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
From a different perspective, probably the single most important factor that led to me loving the outdoors is that my folks DIDN'T stop getting out & about walking or climbing. They merely readjusted their expectations a little. Some of my first memories are of playing beneath gritstone outcrops. My dad first took me up hills in a "papoose" from under a year. They weren't "serious" climbers though, more very active walkers who climbed a bit, so it may be harder to adjust to missing the adrenaline of harder climbing.

IMO (as a non-parent!) the happiest parents & children are those who carry on as much as possible, from the earliest age. Kids adjust to surroundings incredibly easliy.
In reply to Anonymous:

I struggled to get out for a good while, but your priorities change once the little ‘uns appear. Its important that you and the missus still get out, so it’s worth while cultivating a good sized babysitting circle! Get yourselves a baby carrier and one of them 4x4 buggies and get out for walks. The kids will benefit from it and so will you. We did the West Highland Way with our daughter who was 5 months old at the time.

Removed User 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

You'll see from other replies that a lot will depend on your partner's attitude. If you ensure that she gets time off to do her thing then you should be ok. If the only thing she is interested in is the kids then you might be in trouble!
PJay 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Mal Grey: excellent post !
PJay 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor: excellent post !
PJay 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Removed User: excellent post !
PJay 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous: Spot on the money, all of you, thank god there are still some of us who want to instil love of the outdoors in our kids instead of buying them an x-box and locking them in their room. If we can just teach them to read and write in proper english and spell correctly then maybe there's still hope for the world
 Bokonon 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

I've been out climbing with my now 2 year old at numerous locations in the peak and portland, I did my first winter climbing trip 5 weeks after the first one was born, a similar length after the second was born (Jan 7th this year) I'm off again to Scotland.

My Missus doesn't climb and I only really climb 10 weeknds a year if that, when i do get away it tends to be for long periods of time, and my wife goes and does studd with her parents. We've had some really good days out as a family. If you have non parent friends who like kids then they can be really useful for looking after sprog whilst you climb or generally enjoy yourself.

dread-i 26 Jan 2007
In reply to PJay:
I'm in a similar position, have a 16 month old and another on the way. I would agree that your head space changes, with regard to risk.

I have taken mrs dread and jnr to the hills and both love it. Jnr even had a go at bouldering and loved it (see my gallery).
Mrs dread wasnt so enthusiastic about his bouldering antics.

Remember, kids only get one childhood and one chance of growing up. So they must come first. You can get plenty of days cragging in between babysitting, housework, diy etc
gourd 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

> Should I hang up my climbing shoes for a couple of years or settle with getting out very infrequently?

Both.

In my experience, and I've been slated on here for being so honest before, being a dad is crap. Have never been so miserable and unmotivated. So much so I nearly put up all my gear for sale this week.

Talking of which I have a Karrimor Papoose going (wee one now too big for it) if you're interested.
Yorkspud 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed User)
>
> Get out as much as you can now and when they are babies as they don't have much of an influence when really young.
>

Well..thats one point of view. Bringing up a young baby demands a lot of both parents time, particulaly if you are committed to giving all the support you can to your partner, and you will find your time squeezed. There's no problem or competition of interest here its just a different set of circumstances and values - less self-centered ones. I found that having kids changed my outlook on many things and put climbing inot perspective but I still probably went out more than was good for my relationship at the time....beware!

You get more time once they're older and can amuse themselves in my experience but, that being said, I'm just about to get another one!

Sam M 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

If this is who I think it is, you will be fine, just get out when you can and take little one with you, whilst they are little they just sleep at the bottom as long as far enough away to be safe, but you can still hear and see etc.

Sam O

p.s. if not the person I think then I hope everything will be fine just the same.

mart rich 26 Jan 2007
In reply to gourd:

I know experience is dufferent for everyone - but please don't hang up yourshoes and sell your rack!! (Unless you have some good stuff going cheap of course...)

I have a 6 month old and I have been amazed about little my life has actually been changed. More importantly, he has been seen hanging round the base of the Three Cliffs in Gower and will shortly be accompanying me and the missus on a trip to Fort William. We have spent a lot of weekends out walking, pushing the all terrain buggy or carrying him in the baby bjorn.

Of course it helps to have an understanding other half, and she is hoping to be climbing again soon.....

I think you may have to "alter your expectations" a little, but I hope you don't have to stop climbing.

Martin
Removed User 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Yorkspud:

I think you might have missed my point slightly and the next line of the post you quoted does indicate that sharing responsibility is important.

I was talking more about the 'pull on your heart strings' that kids can have which I found to be less so when they were (are) babies and more so as they learn to talk.

I was also talking more in the context of winter or alpine climbing where it's not just a time away thing but also being in a slightly more dangerous environment.
 El Greyo 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Mal Grey:

My parents dragged me out hillwalking from a young age and put me off for life. I wish I'd had parents like yours, they sound much cooler.
Vlad 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

You may find that your activity changes, depends how hands on a parent you want to be/are allowed to be...

Last time I went climbing was at 3 months pregnant, Noodle Nose is now almost 2...

No climbing but a lot of hill walking done, money now spent on backpack and waterproofs for him rather than shiney clicky stuff...

Oh and Noodle Nose has been bouldering in quite a few places already... not by intent...
Pinky 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
You just need to organise things well, and a little bit of give and take between you and Mum to be.

You could well end up mostly bouldering as it's a lot easier with a baby. But that will only be for a short while (in the big scheme of things).
 Bruce Hooker 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

You're in for a surprise by the sound of it! Assuming you are not going to leave it all to the mother or subcontract out the baby, both popular but caddish choices, you will notice a certain lack of sleep for a while and then difficulty in moving about due to huge heaps of pampers and soup cooking... climbing will be the least of your worries!

Having said that it eases off after a bit and it's true that it does kids no harm to be taken out even very young, they like camping if it's not too cold... one point to avoid is taking them out for long days in baby-rucksack things in the freezing cold... you will be warm enough but the baby will be slowly turning blue as he or she isn't getting any exercise... it might seem obvious but I've seen it done on several occasions.

I have know couples that broke up because the bloke (it's usually this way round) insisted on going off climbing and leaving the mum at home with kiddy... after a bit she got fed up... alternating outings is better. This can lead to a problem if mum doesn't want to go out but resents dad doing it... tricky, and quite common (from experience).

Last point; the first one is always the one that marks you the most as it's all new... bringing up a baby from birth is in fact quite an interesting experience (I wouldn't rate it on the blissful spiritual level that some do though, but it is quite interesting) and one worth doing fully... once it's over it can't happen again (for you, that is) in the same way so it's worth missing out on a bit of rock grovelling for a while, in my opinion... and I'm not that keen on babies in a general way.
johnny1 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

became a dad on the 25/12 and certainly haven't hung up my shoes yet, you certainly don't have time to do nothing if you want to be doing whatever it is that you were in to before hand, but really sitting round doing nothing isn't all it's cracked up to be though is it ?!!!?

btw what an amazing buzz and best of luck with it.
 martin riddell 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
> Soon becoming a dad for the first time.
>
> Should I hang up my climbing shoes for a couple of years or settle with getting out very infrequently?

surely it is all to do with the timming ?

if you were a winter climber then the best time to have a bairn would be spring (ie after the winter season), then you would have all summer to dote on new arrival and get over the new problems before the start of the next season

or do you not plan these things ?

Yorkspud 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Removed User:

Yeah sorry - was probably criticising myself really!
 TobyA 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous: I've been a dad for just under three years (I have two sons now), and I still climb a lot. But I would say it really depends where you live. I always used to whine about where I am not having any mountains but it does have lots of wee crags, boulder and ice falls in the winter which means I can get out for a few hours do some route and then be home to spend time with the kids as well on weekends.
 Mal Grey 26 Jan 2007
In reply to El Greyo:
Walk a step, take a picture, walk a step, take a picture...

and you still hate walking, despite the fact you've probably done more backpacking into wilderness areas than me?
O Mighty Tim 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous: The only person who can answer this is yourself.
If you are worried about killing yourself, well, why worry, you've done your genetic job, and passed the family history on to the next generation!

I haven't climbed much since Joe was born, but then that's more down to DIY on houses and long term injury.

TTG
Removed User 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

I've also had my kids pretty close together (both are under 3 with 21 mths between) which is a good idea (IMHO) for later on but is pretty hard going at the moment.

We thought this was a good idea cos I'm an old git and didn't fancy the idea of teenage kids when I was in my 60's!
 Wonrek 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous: About to become a new Mom myself (due in two weeks)

I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of hanging up the walking, climbing or any other shoes becuase of it. In fact I was hill walking in the Peak district only a couple of days ago.

Admittedly it will take more planning to take the little fellow along but hey that's why the papoose was invented!

Ok I'm lucky in that my partner is also a climber and shares my love of the outdoors but even if he didn't it wouldn't stop me from wantingmy child to experience it with me.

If you think about it and act like a father and not selfishly then it is very possible to find a balance that enables you to continue climbing and maybe even pass on the passion to the little 'un!!

Cx
 Ian McNeill 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

tricky at first but as they get older you get more time out - thats the way it is for me ...

sobering thought... years ago I came across a couple who would put tiny person in ruck sac and go off climbing at a crag together leaving the littleone tied in securley head poking out of drawstring. top pocket for a pillow...

imagine the horrified look the first time you see this done...

I have not followed their lead with mine... Im walking them mikles now thay are 5, 6, 12 and 16
 newhey 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

They are only babies for such a short time, so dont throw any of that time away. The hills will always be there. Sure you can get out occasionally but you can integrate them into things when they get older. Remember your partner needs some child free time, so any climbing obsession is best tempered for while. You cant really afford to be quite as selfish once you have children, if you want to be a proper parent IMHO.

ranger*goy 26 Jan 2007
In reply to newhey:

I used to get miffed when my husband just went to Tescos let alone out for the day.

The joys of a breastfed baby who fed all the time and breasts that wouldnt express milk.

CENSORED 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous: Congratulations. Enjoy it, they change so quickly.

It's the best thing I ever did, and after almost 19 months I'm still loving it. I'm not getting out quite as much as I used to, but still hitting 90% of what I did do.

In fact it's so good we've done it again, estimated delivery date 2 weeks today!
 gingerkate 26 Jan 2007
In reply to ranger*goy:
> (In reply to newhey)
>
> I used to get miffed when my husband just went to Tescos let alone out for the day.

Excellent excellent excellent post :-DDDD

You've summed it up in one hilarious sentence.

Reminds me of one woman I heard quoted as saying that she now regarded a visit to the dentist as precious me time.
immountain 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous: My daughter is 8 months old - I still get out quite a bit but we live in North Wales and my partner is prety understanding. When I go upto Scotland in Feb - her mum is coming over to help out with the little one.

My view is that children do not stop you climbing - they mean that the way you go about things has to change. More planning - less spur of the moment.

Just don't go and break your femur two months before the birth like I did - tends to limit your mobility at the delivery and is not appreciated buy a heavily pregnant wife.
Slugain Howff 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

I stopped winter soloing.
 ranger*goy 26 Jan 2007
In reply to gingerkate:

It can get so petty cant it!
 gingerkate 26 Jan 2007
In reply to ranger*goy:
Oh yes indeed. Mine are 13 and 10 now, so the issues are completely different, but I remember those days :oS

chiz 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Ian McNeill:
> years ago I came across a couple who would put tiny person in ruck sac and go off climbing at a crag together leaving the littleone tied in securley head poking out of drawstring. top pocket for a pillow...

the brother of a colleague allegedly used to tie his very young kids to a tree at the base of the crag, before going off climbing with the mum (or should i say the sister of a colleague...?). They were doing multipitch routes. scary.
chiz
 Squirrel Bill 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

There would have been a simple alternative to this...Don't have kids....too late now.

Congrats though!

Good luck with it all.
 Skyfall 26 Jan 2007
In reply to niggle:

> I'm not a dad

I hate to start an argument but didn't you, on another thread (sadly departed ie. pulled by the mods), get uptight because you thought you were being accused of abusing your children?

but you have no kids?

which bit am I confused about?
andhpool 27 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous: congrats
being a dad is a special thing.i would say dont hang the boots up.you will need to practise for teaching the "new climber" all you know.

remember any male can be a father.BUT IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO BE A DAD
00spaw 27 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous: id say take the little one with you.
Regis Von Goatlips 27 Jan 2007
In reply to 00spaw:
> (In reply to Anonymous) id say take the little one with you.

AGREED! And as a novice you might be able to cull some pointers from the old guard ....
plus we don't see enough So CUTE! infants at the crags.
Say GOODBYE SLEEP for a while mate; temporarily at least that's history LOL.
But what a blessing. Congratulations Both!
In reply to andhpool:
> (In reply to Anonymous)
> remember any male can be a father.BUT IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO BE A DAD

Huh? What are you on about?
Any woman will tell ya it takes 2 to make a child (but only one has to push out a basketball).
heh.
 yer maw 27 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous: you'll still get out but then it all depends upon what the baby is like as they aren't all sleeping machines, upon how much support you want or have to give, your work commitments, other hobbies, family support and of course creating some quality time for you and your partner.

I don't get much now for all of the above reasons but I'm happy and I know I'll get back into it more soon enough (especially when my back is better), and I do believe the cliffs are still there. very much looking forward to taking my son camping etc. as well.

the first four months were a blur for me so who knows how some manage to include climbing in all that as I needed something more relaxing so did more fishing.

enjoy
andhpool 27 Jan 2007
In reply to Regis Von Goatlips: sorry if i offended i was trying to say that being a dad is harder than being a man who "services" and runs.but is much much more rewarding
In reply to andhpool:
You didn't offend me lol.
Eye vas......vaht iz der gut eenglish?
TAYKEENG DER PISH.
heh.
 UKB Shark 28 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

>
> All experiences from other dad welcome

I should think the experiences of other dad's are entirely academic as it will come down to your individual desire to climb, the dynamics of your the relationship with your partner, your partners personality and how you both react to parenthood.

hutchm 28 Jan 2007
In reply to Simon Lee:

Also depends heavily where you live. Most partners will be quite understanding about someone heading out for a couple of hours bouldering at a nearby venue, but might raise their eyebrows at too many full weekends away. If your partner has good social support in your absence, might not be a problem, but if it's just her left holding the baby, it might be different.

My advice (as a father of twins, now 4), would be to cherish the early years - they are gone too soon, and be prepared to offer more support to your partner during this period. Even if she is saying pre-birth that your climbing can continue at the same or similar frequency, that might all change pretty quick after a couple of months of sleepless nights, followed by teething...so keep checking and thinking about the needs of your family first.

You can climb into your 60s and beyond. Your kids will only be young once, and the brownie points to be gained by good daddy behaviour at this stage will be valuable when you're trying to justify a trip to the Alps with your mates in a few year's time.

PaulW 28 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous: I had 4 kids, now all grown up.

Only regret is not doing more with them when they were little. we used to do loads but there odd days when we could have done something else and I miss that.

Now they are gone there is time for weeks away in the alps.
 UKB Shark 28 Jan 2007
In reply to hutchm:
> (In reply to Simon Lee)
>
> Also depends heavily where you live.

I logged into this thread again as it occurred to me how important location was with respect to proximity to crags and/or in-laws. Additionally career demands have a similkar impact. However, you will find a way to move house or change job if climbing is important enough to you.

Effective negotiation also has its place but as for deferring climbing trips until I'm in my 60's - no thanks.

Fredt 28 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

The first thing that will hit you is that, incredibly, climbing is NOT the most important thing in the world.

Then, when you have realised this, you will also realise that climbing is a hundred times more enjoyable when it's not important.
 yer maw 28 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous: I'm really encouraged by the amount of sound advice here, especially revolving around all the good stuff about being a Dad, as there are times when you do miss the easy child free life.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...