UKC

NEWS: Josune Bereziartu has a good weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 26 Jan 2007
Last weekend, January 13 and 14, the Basque climber, Josune Bereziartu did two different activities.

Read more.... http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Neil Morrison 27 Jan 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Sounds a pretty sad weekend unless I've misunderstood it. Sounds like 3 fellow Basque climbers died on the same route/mountain as her.
 nigel pearson 27 Jan 2007
In reply to Neil Morrison:
I agree, the title is rather inappropriate
 abarro81 27 Jan 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: seriously mick - you really count the fact that a strong climber has updated a blog as news??
 Si dH 27 Jan 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Unfortunately the UKC news section is useless and has become quite laughable in recent times due to "reporting" that is (a) late and (b) equivalant in terms of importance ot the majority of articles in the sun or the star. Please, get a grip.
Having said all that, although I dont find this amazingly interesting, its not the worst by a long way.
OP Michael Ryan 27 Jan 2007
In reply to Si dH:

....and what axe are you grinding Si. Please read the news pages carefully.

They are here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

and include just in the UK....you may laugh at some of these.

UK NEWS
Lakes Winter Conditions
Recent Accidents in Coire an-t-Sneachda
Rescue Team in New Search
#
# Accident at the Westway Sports Centre climbing wall
# Help to save Longstone Edge
# Cold Wind Heats Up Action On God's Own Rock
# Inaugural Birmingham Mountain Film Festival moves nearer
# Three Peaks Africa: Margherita, Mt.Kenya, Kilimanjaro
# Comment by Adrian Berry on Blind Vision
# Macleod repeats Blind Vision
# The Splat Calculator g = 9.8 m/s^2
# Birmingham Mountain Film Festival - UKC Competition
# Leo Houlding's mentor....Sir Chris Bonington?
# Sheffield Adventure Film Forum is Back
# Stunning Recent Inversion Photos in the UKC Photo Gallery
# Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team Need a Landrover
# British Bouldering Team in Top Gear
# Tremadog Revival - Can You Help?

Mick
in Spain....
 abarro81 27 Jan 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: i think he;s just adding his name to the lengthy list who feel that a lot of your 'news' isnt really news at all... dont get me wrong, ukc (along with planet fear) is how i get most of my climbing news cos i dont read mags. its just wierd that you include 'last weekend some strong climber did 2 different activities' as news

yeah, this bit of news takes the piss abit but si your abit out of order, this is the first news ive seen on here which seems pretty pointless with no element of interest for me, but hey, personal opinion.

keep up the good work mick.
OP Michael Ryan 28 Jan 2007
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain:

I'm a bit limited by the categories here. It would perhaps be better if we had News and an Off The Wall type column. The News being hard news, top climbing/mountaineering achievements, accidents, deaths, access stuff and Off The Wall being more lifestyle stuff that includes bloggs and stuff like that Splat calculator.

As I've said before not all the stuff we run will be of interest to everyone. When I watch or listen to the mainstream news I'm interested in some stuff, but not others.

This is a fluid and dynamic media and if you look our news page is constantly updated, depending on time limitations, some items will be more engaging than others depending on your interests,

It is unfortunate that one news item that say Si isn't interested in clouds his view of the bigger picture.

Personally I find Josune's activities very inspiring, and I'm sure others do too, some won't. There again I'm interested in the auto-belay piece, as I use one of the things. Brad Washburn piece, many won't have heard of him until he died - what an inspiring life he led.

We will continue trying to make the news better and thanks for all feedback.

One thing to remember, our news page is far more diverse that the climbing print media and importantly you don't get a chance to criticise that where on here you do and I listen and respond.

Best,

Mick
 nz Cragrat 28 Jan 2007

I think what annoys me a bit is that there may be a news headline for something but the source is not (immediately) credited. Much of the news can be found via news feeds from various sites and the headings here always makes it sound like a journalistic first IMHO.
In reply to nz Cragrat:

News is assembled in several ways, some from press releases, some from emails, some we generate by active solicitation (email, phone, live), some from other sites. If you look at the news, in the vast majority of cases the news source is credited by an author and by a link so that you can view the source.

Check a print climbing mag, you get none of the above when in fact they gather news in exactly the same way. In fact check an issue of a climbing mag in two months time, in most cases the news that you read there will have been on here or another climbing site first.

Mick
can I go climbing now?

Mick
 nz Cragrat 28 Jan 2007

Yes
 AJM 28 Jan 2007

> It is unfortunate that one news item that say Si isn't interested in clouds his view of the bigger picture.

Can I ask you a serious question Mick - do you really believe that this is the only article which lets down the news section in the eyes of him or others? And please, a real answer, not just trotting out a list of article titles and saying "are these all not relevant then".

I'm sure you have responded on a lot of the previous "oh my god how on earth is this news" type threads, usually to drop in the same line about "wow, its varied, all sorts of things are news, and it might be of interest to somebody" rather than taking the criticism on board in any way.

Having said that, I think seperating the sections out into News and Off The Wall is the best thing to have come out of the news section in ages. It would act as a filter for the more esoteric items which you inculde in the news.

AJM

And of course, all news items are linked to the forums so that they can be discussed and there have been several memorable discussions about the news recently. Some news items warrant discussion others not so.

You can check here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=1&na...
In reply to AJM:

I think I answered that above. First it depends how you define news, we all have different opinions on that. As I said there is a real mix of topics and styles. Some like their news dry and factual, others a little livelier. You are right I think, it would be better if we could seperate the solid news items from the lifestyle/celeb/whimsical stuff and I have brought this up with Alan James not ten minutes ago.

Question. Is this news?

http://planetfear.com/news_detail.asp?n_id=6092
 Si dH 28 Jan 2007
I have no axe to grinf Mick. Indeed on simialr threads in the past (of which there have been many) Ive always held my peace. However I do think a lot of it is rubbish despite some uselful articles and hterefore thought I'd let you know my opinion. At the end of the day we only improve from criticism and acting upon it. Or, thats one good way of improving anyway.
In terms of what is news, I suppose you have ot draw the line somewhere. My advice would be to draw it a bit higher though.
Si
 Si dH 28 Jan 2007
In reply to Si dH:
the only other thing that gets me about the news is when its lifted from another thread and is a day late, which always seems a bit funny.
In reply to Si dH:
> (In reply to Si dH)
> the only other thing that gets me about the news is when its lifted from another thread and is a day late, which always seems a bit funny.

There is a simple answer to that Si. Not all read the forums. Some go straight to the news page.

However, I do now fairly religously refer to the original thread.

Mick

John Kirk 28 Jan 2007
In reply to Si dH: If you paid for the news you might have a right to complain - but as it is free - who cares ?
 JLS 28 Jan 2007

You can't please all of the people all of the time but I can confirm your news column pleases some of the people some of the time.

Thanks for your effort.

PS. I've got a story for you. Weak punter allows Sunday to go to waste, being too tried to climb after two consecutive evenings at the wall and a few hours bouldering in Northumerland on Saturday.
Stac Pollaidh 28 Jan 2007
In reply to JLS:
i agree.

Mick, hearing significant wintry news from down your way, get reporting!
 AJM 28 Jan 2007

The thing which occurred to me as I was driving to Portland (nice to be out, but too tired to be productive sadly) was there is a difference between news people aren't interested in, and news which isn't actually news. You did attempt to deflect Si's point by portraying it as simply moaning about news he wasn't interested in. Thats just not a valid defense IMO.

For example, hard new routes/problems in the Peak are reasonably uninteresting to me, but yet I still recognise they are newsworthy. On the other hand, the news article referenced by this thread is in my opinion (and clearly that of several others) not news, rather than simply being news which is of little interest to me. And I recognise that whilst a page showing a table of where has sensibly-timed low tides for climbing at the weekends would be of great interest to me, that doesn't actually make it newsworthy.

I'm glad the idea of seperating it into News and Esoterica sections is being considered though. It could make the whole thing more digestable.

AJM
In reply to Stac Pollaidh:
> (In reply to JLS)
> i agree.
>
> Mick, hearing significant wintry news from down your way, get reporting!

I'm in Spain.

Witkacy 28 Jan 2007

Could you please summarise this world news item more specifically than she did two different activities? I've just done that in the gents' room.
 Marc C 28 Jan 2007
In reply to Witkacy: What an awesome climber, and, never really noticed before, but quite a cool chick..

http://climbing.com/exclusive/problog/josune/bereziartu1/
 GrahamD 29 Jan 2007

Funny how her achieveing another 9a is no longer news in its own right !
Witkacy 29 Jan 2007
In reply to GrahamD:

> Funny how her achieveing another 9a is no longer news in its own right !

I thought she 'tried' it . . . the day after she 'did a different activity'.
 220bpm 31 Jan 2007

Ignore the snipers Mick. Its an individuals preference as to whether they deem the news particularly worthy of web space or not.
I mean, the 6'o'clock news sometimes has a right load of old p!sh as content.
Keep up the good work for those of us who don't scan t'interweb fervently for the latest climbing happenings.
 GrahamD 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Witkacy:

You're right - it does say "tried it" and there isn't really any other information on the blog. Curious to call this news.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...