UKC

HP printing problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nic 30 Jan 2007
Given that Rocktalkers are the font of all knowledge, I figured I'd ask this here and get a faster response than if I emailed HP, so here goes:

I'm printing to a HP Deskjet 840C - characters in colour come out just fine; however, characters in black have their bottom third missing..on each line. I've just installed a new black ink cartridge, which I guess is therefore part of the problem...but why?!

Any help much appreciated

Nic
Profanisaurus Rex 30 Jan 2007
In reply to Nic:

Has the printer lain idle for a while? Sometimes the ink nozzles get clogged up with dry ink. The HP printing utility on the PC should have a "clean" function on it...

Oh, I forgot you're a Mac user. Clearly more money than sense. You need a new printer...
In reply to Masood:

PS, ;-P

lcb
OP Nic 30 Jan 2007
In reply to Masood:

If Apple made printers I wouldn't be having this problem - now feck off and get on with the decorating...
In reply to Nic:

Hehe...
 Katie Weston 30 Jan 2007
In reply to Nic:
> If Apple made printers I wouldn't be having this problem - now feck off and get on with the decorating...

Oh if only they did. I really need a new printer, my current one is putting regular blue lines over everything. Problem is deciding which one will decide to stop working after the longest time!
If Apple made one I'd be prepared to pay an extra £50 because I know it would work!

OP Nic 30 Jan 2007
In reply to Masood:

Right - I've found the print utility, done the cleaning, aligning, praying to the print gods etc...and the b*stard machine is still only printing 2/3 of my text. Any more bright ideas?

Nic

(PS will call re boot disk)
 Katie Weston 30 Jan 2007
In reply to Nic:
Have you tried a good kicking?

it won't fix it but it will make you feel better!
Printers are the stupidest things ever.
 marie 30 Jan 2007
In reply to Nic: I had the same problem with a Lexmark printer...

I never did get it to work properly again (and havent had a printer since it knackered about 3 years ago!)

I am looking to get another one though, just so the kids can print stuff from the internet for their homework and stuff.
Profanisaurus Rex 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Nic:

I forgot to mention, I threw out my last printer for the same reason. Try cleaning it several times, then give up. Once the ink nozzles are clagged with dry ink sometimes you just can't shift it. Laser printers are becoming very reasonably priced, and the print quality is MUCH better...
OP Nic 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Masood:

NOW you tell me...hmm, looks like landfill time for the beast then...
In reply to Nic:

What floor is your office on, and do the windows open? Loads more fun than landfill....

Katie Weston 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Nic:
I love the fact that the knowledge of UKC can usually fix any problem, however with a printer it's reduced to run the cleaning cycle, and find the most entertaining way to destroy it!
 sutty 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Katie Weston:
There is one last gasp thing before you dump a printer with clogged heads, do a search for head cleaning problems and some sites tell you how to do it with something like meths or some other cleaner, used in an old cartridge. If it works you have a usable printer, if it doesn't you buy a new one.

http://www.marrutt.com/inkjet-cleaning.php

http://www.valueshop.co.uk/printing.asp

Cats 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Masood:

Hp Cartridges include the head, which is why they cost more than Epson & Canon. So, since the OP has changed the black cartridge he should have fixed any clogged heads.
In reply to Cats:
> (In reply to Masood)
>
> Hp Cartridges include the head,

Not all of them...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...