UKC

Flat panel or featured walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Morgan Woods 02 Feb 2007
Which do you prefer?

Me - flat panel because indoors i just want to do the moves with a minimum of fuss, see the holds better and not worry about 17 different possibilites for my feet....plenty of time to worry about technique on real rock....indoors i just want to get strong!

that said i do like to throw in some bouldering on a resin wall now and then.
 Wilbur 02 Feb 2007
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Dullard!
 Chris the Tall 02 Feb 2007
Featured - more realistic, improves your footwork and body positioning, makes route less height dependent and better for those either more shorter or much taller than the average
Removed User 02 Feb 2007
In reply to Wilbur:

Feature every time provide its good.

I tend to do ther routes with features only fror feet to improve my generally poor footwork

gary.
 IanJackson 02 Feb 2007
In reply to Morgan Woods: i prefer flat panel when iam climbing indoors. But the only reason o climb indoors is to keep fit.

For the other 80% including groups feature walls make it interesting and more realistic.

I think a wall with varying angles is better. eg roofs. make it more fun.

I still think one of the best bouldering walls that I've used is the Foundry. Good realistic feet but still steep enough to train hard.

The trick is setting quality. Flat panels need good setting and will still almost always suffer heightist problems.
In reply to Morgan Woods: flat panel all the way. no confusion as to what is allowed etc....
TimS 02 Feb 2007
In reply to Morgan Woods: Flat panel - featured walls are a thing of the past. The ability to move every hold and foot hold means locals don't just stick their feet automatically in the right place, regardless of where the handholds have been moved to.
OP Morgan Woods 02 Feb 2007

Flat panels would also be cheaper....hypothetically translating into reduced wall fees.
 El Greyo 02 Feb 2007
In reply to Morgan Woods: Small features, usually just to give more options for the feet. Absolutely essential for a good wall - otherwise it becomes just an exercise in joining the dots. Too big and it's the features that define the route/problem. None at all and you don't need to think or use technique and it becomes very tedious. I think Alien Rock (1 and 2) have it about right. Some of the best problems at AR2 are features only.
i.munro 02 Feb 2007
In reply to El Greyo:

Just right IMO. Also like being able to go back on old problems after a layoff to judge progress. Impossible if there are no features.

Ian
 BelleVedere 02 Feb 2007
In reply to TimS:

Aren't features normally out though, unless specified as in. They do give you more scope when woking your own problems though. I quite like doing easy routes but with features for feat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...