UKC

Dave Gregory accident

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jude calvert-toulmin 07 Jun 2001
The climber Dave Gregory, who I know some of you have climbed with before, but in the event you haven't seen him for a bit, has had a very serious climbing accident at the Roaches. Apparently the medics thought he wasn't going to live but he's pulling through. He's in Stoke Hospital if any old friends want to send him a card.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 Jun 2001
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin:
Just a word of caution everybody, Dave is not yet out of danger, he is still in intensive care and in a serious condition, though has shown some improvments today. Our thoughts are with him and his family,

Chris
Laurie 07 Jun 2001
I can only wish him a speady and full recovery, best wishes Dave, my thoughts go out to you and your family. I hope you recover soon.

Laurie
samt 08 Jun 2001

Best wishes going out to dave and his family.

Hang it there!!

Sam (an ex Lady Mannors pupil)
OP steve 08 Jun 2001

Best wishes to Dave and his family.

He was one of the people who inspired me and my partner to take up climbing. We sheltered from the rain in a big Base tent of his in the Duddon Valley and in the conversation were enthusiasticly recommending some of the fabulous scrambles we had discovered. He kept quiet initially about who he was and strung us along. We left the tent over an hour later, a little embarrassed but highly entertained and very keen to extend our scrambling to proper rock climbing.
peter stone 08 Jun 2001

I was really shocked to read of Dave's accident. I hope he recovers really quickly and my thoughts are with him and his family.
jude calvert-toulmin 09 Jun 2001
charles has put some information about dave's accident on the news section of rockfax. it looks like cards should now be sent to 52 Cobnar Road, Woodseats, Sheffield. cards from people you thought had long forgotten you are always a really positive psychological boost to recovery, i think.
OP Gary Gibson 09 Jun 2001
Dave is in Ward 11 (Multiple Injuries and HDU) at the North Staffs Royal Infirmary Site, not COPD or City General which are the other sites of this hospital. This is situated in Hartshill, Stoke-on-Trent.
johnwarburton 09 Jun 2001
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin: DEAR JUDE I WAS CLIMBING WITH DAVE ONLY A WEEK LAST WED.ON FROGGAT,TELL HIS FAMILY THAT BRUCE,TINA WARBY,GUY,AND ALL HIS MATES ARE THINKING OF HIM AND ARE PREYING FOR HIS SPEEDY RECOVERY.PLEASE KEEP ME INFORMED AS TO HIS PROGRESS.THANKS JOHN WARBURTON.
 Simon 09 Jun 2001

This certainly brings home the serious nature of climbing, and like the rest of you I am hoping that Dave will be ok.

Dave Greg was my physics teacher at Lady Mannners School, Bakewell and gave me a load of kit to get started climbing.

I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Best wishes to him & all his family

Simon
A couple of details I didn't get into the news story:

- the medics reckon that he stands a better chance of recovery because he's fit for his age: thank climbing! (And did you note it was his sixth climb of the day? I'm hoping to be going that well at 67.)

- there was a team and an oxygen cylinder and two trained first-aiders at the scene, through luck. Chris C was worried that Dave was dead when he landed; his message is "get first-aid training. It'll see you right."

I'll put up some more news after the weekend.

Charles
Bill (Daves son)& Sharon 15 Jun 2001
We all appreciate everyones thoughts and messages. Just to let you know that Dave is making a good recovery. He came out of the multiple injuries unit on Thursday (9 days after the accident) and is now on an orthopaedic ward. He is obviously still uncomfortable but thankfully out of danger after a rather hairy week. He must be feeling better as he perks up when the young female physios come round, and can do the Guardian crossword (well he can fill in the spaces and looks convincing).
almost sane 15 Jun 2001
In reply to Bill (Daves son)& Sharon:
Our thoughts and (from those that believe) prayers are with you and your Dad.

I am glad he has made good progress.
 sutty 16 Jun 2001
In reply to Bill (Daves son)& Sharon:glad he still has an eye for a young lady, it will help him a lot in his recovery. Not seen him for thirty years but found he was generally pushing others at club meets when we met. Glad he is getting better, Keith Sutcliffe
OP justin c 16 Jun 2001
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin: My respect to Dave. . . . . .

Hope you are ok mate! i think you will be.fingers crossed?

when and what route did he peel from?
Clare A 16 Jun 2001
In reply to justin c:

Justin, I think your question displays idle curiosity and tactlessness. Why did you need to know this?

It's probably bad luck too - just superstition no doubt, but for the same reason we don't generally photograph rescue helicopters

Clare
OP justin c 16 Jun 2001
In reply to Clare A: Sorry but you got the wrong end of the stick>
I was out a few weeks ago and saw a guy pop off pretty badly.
just wanted to know if this was the guy thats all.
Mr G 16 Jun 2001
In reply to Clare A: This is bollocks.

Glad to hear Dave's on the mend, But, if we're being honest. The first thing that happens when someones hears someone has fallen off a climb is the world splits into climbers and non climbers. The climbers (I guess even Dave himself) ask: "what route did he fall off" and the non climbers, something like why was he up there. The climbers then think "which move"

I read this in an article about a guy who had fallen off and bust himself up badly (Great Slab at frogatt (the traverse)) But in my experience its true.

... and before you all jump on the band waggon of attacking me, just remember your own initial reactions.
Clare A 16 Jun 2001
In reply to Mr G:

I would admit to wondering which route, which move, how, why etc. I just think it's tactless to ask. Maybe I'm extra-squeamish.

If Justin saw a fall his curiosity might be more justified and less 'idle' - but he didn't say so in his first post.

Clare
OP justin c 16 Jun 2001
In reply to Mr G: RESPECT!
SO THERE CLARE.
im not sick in the head. lol
Clare A 16 Jun 2001
In reply to justin c:

I didn't say you were sick in the head. I said you were tactless. Let's not carry on this debate on this thread, guys - we're all very pleased Dave Gregory's on the mend

Clare
Mr G 16 Jun 2001
In reply to Clare A: I agree, its not good to see or hear of anyone fall, and i'm pleased he's getting better
jct 16 Jun 2001
In reply to all today. come on guys and gals. i wanted to print this out for Dave once he's feeling a bit better. it's best wishes only from now on OK?
squawk 16 Jun 2001
In reply to Bill (Daves son)& Sharon: Please pass on Claudie and my best wishes and hope Dave makes a full and speedy recovery. It's always a shock when an accident happens to someone you know but it is amazing what the medics can do and how well the body fixes itself with a bit of time.

Best wishes

Squawk & Claudie
Clare A 16 Jun 2001
In reply to jct:

absolutely, Jude - which was the intention of my original post. Didn't mean it to turn into a fight!

Clare
ian smith 16 Jun 2001
In reply to Bill (Daves son)& Sharon: Bill, great news, much relieved here, give Dave and your mum very best wishes from Ian and Viv, our thoughts are with you all.
OP Anonymous 16 Jun 2001
Dave. You don't know me personally and
I don't know you. I work as a paramedic- I'm no stranger to serious injuries- but, when "one of your own" is hurt, ones own mortality is brought
into focus and the seriousness of our
hobby is realised. It becomes a very personal thing. Every climber on earth
that either knows you, or has heard of you, is thinking of you now. Please
make a full and complete recovery and we all hope to see you back on your feet (and your fingers!) as soon as possible. Mike Buddle.
John Horscroft 17 Jun 2001
Great to hear you're on the mend Dave. The Peak BMC Meetings wouldn't be the same without your keen intelligence, seemingly limitless knowledge of the history of Peak rock climbing but, most of all, your sense of humour. Come back soon.

OP David Simmonite 18 Jun 2001
Dave
Good to hear that you are getting better
All the best to you and you're family
Here's to a speedy recovery

David
Simon Cox 18 Jun 2001
In reply to Bill (Daves son)& Sharon:

Hi Bill and Sharon,

Your update was good to hear. Long may his recovery continue; these things take time to recover from but having a positive attitude makes a huge difference - I sense Dave will be OK on this front.

See you around,
john 18 Jun 2001

Dave

I don't know you, you don't know me, but I enjoyed your book and all those photos of you in the Stanage guide wearing Helly and red socks. I just hope I can still (nearly!) lead Central Route when I'm your age.

Best wishes for a full recovery

John Cox

Best wishes to Dave from myself and my father Mike who climbed with him in the 60s.

Alan
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Jun 2001
Dave is now back in Sheffield, battered and bruised but very much on the mend. An impressive start to his recovery in exactly two weeks. Ward 6, Huntsmans, Northern General for any old climbing mates who want to surprise him

Chris
OP Anonymous 19 Jun 2001
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I hope my old School teacher will be able to see a member of staff from the NGH.

I work in Personnel & I will try to get to Huntsman to see Dave.

If any one wants to go to the Northern General & needs to Know where to park etc or indeed where Huntsman ward is you can contact me on (0114 271 5463)
Simon Jacques 19 Jun 2001
In reply to Anonymous:

Oops sorry I am anonymous.......didn't finish,

As I was saying If any one needs any assistance at the Northern, I am contactable on (0114 271 5463)

It's a pretty big ol place, but go into the main entrance & Huntsman is the 1st ward. There are plenty of signs.

Best buses from sheff are 47 & 48 (from flat street) or 97, 97a.

I will bob in to see him & wish him the best & am so glad to hear he is doing well.........

Simon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...