UKC

Strength To Weight Ratio

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
00spaw 06 Mar 2007
Can anyone do arm locks?

what is the best way to build up your arm strength?

i managed to climb a 30ft metal rope ladder today twice in quick sucession but the rest of the group couldnt.

what is the best way to build up their strength?
 Alex1 06 Mar 2007
In reply to 00spaw:

chin ups - enjoy
 Alun 06 Mar 2007
In reply to 00spaw:
> Can anyone do arm locks?

Yes, lots of people.

> what is the best way to build up your arm strength?

Doing a quick scan of the 'Walls and Training' forum!
 JLS 06 Mar 2007
In reply to Alun:

>"Doing a quick scan of the 'Walls and Training' forum!"

I've done that but I don't feel any stronger! Should I drink a protein shake while scanning?
In reply to 00spaw:
When you say arm locks, do you mean methods of restraint common to some martial arts, or static lock offs as part of a training regime?
To answer both points, I am better at the first than the second!
Rob
 Marc C 06 Mar 2007
In reply to 00spaw: visit, read and apply some of the sessions on rosstraining.com
 Wilbur 06 Mar 2007
In reply to 00spaw:

i can

boulder lots on overhangs! do some frenchies and or assisted one arm pull-ups.

Doesn't help with your climbing though... much better to get strong all round on the bouldering
 Paz 06 Mar 2007
In reply to 00spaw:

Well done on geting it right. Strength to Weight is indeed a ratio, where as the often talked about Power to Weight quantity is a velocity, not a ratio.
00spaw 06 Mar 2007
In reply to Robfromcornwall:
> (In reply to 00spaw)
> When you say arm locks, do you mean methods of restraint common to some martial arts, or static lock offs as part of a training regime?
> To answer both points, I am better at the first than the second!

ill stay away from the wrong side of you.

00spaw 06 Mar 2007
In reply to Paz: ok
great
00spaw 06 Mar 2007
In reply to Marc C: rosstraining looks ok. not seen it before
 Simon Pelly 09 Mar 2007
In reply to Paz:
> (In reply to 00spaw)
>
> Well done on geting it right. Strength to Weight is indeed a ratio, where as the often talked about Power to Weight quantity is a velocity, not a ratio.

Power to Weight is a speed - the vector component has been eliminated

steve456 09 Mar 2007
In reply to Simon Pelly, 00spaw: Please stop muddling scalar + speed and vector + velocity. Power to weight is neither a velocity nor a speed. You can't say whether it is a scalar/vector until you define exactly what you are talking about anyway.
 lost1977 09 Mar 2007
In reply to 00spaw:

overall for arm strength for climbing try muscleups
 philo 09 Mar 2007
In reply to 00spaw: i can lock off but not for long, ive been climbing 8 months and alot of pull ups mixed with lowered rope off the chin up bar and training one armers has helped alot.
holding all your weight on one arm and 2 fingers on the othr hand, then practice with worse fingers (i.e. little and second little?) i used to do this and pull ups like this.
also, dont try to lock in a certain place, your body will naturally find a position that it is comfortable with.
other than what other people have said and watch out for tendonitis
 davidwright 09 Mar 2007
In reply to Paz:
> (In reply to 00spaw)
>
> Well done on geting it right. Strength to Weight is indeed a ratio, where as the often talked about Power to Weight quantity is a velocity, not a ratio.

being padantic I think the quatity your interested in is Power to Mass.
 Paz 09 Mar 2007
I never said I was dealing with vector quantities to start with you equally sad bastards.

In reply to davidwright:

Power (rate of working) is force times velocity.
 Si dH 10 Mar 2007
In reply to Paz:
You are right, but as Ive discovered before, having a maths debate with the average ukc user who thinks hes einstein because he got a B in gcse maths and thinks he therefore knows everything, is somewhat useless.

PS. Lock-offs are easy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...