UKC

Hanging a moon fingerboard - screw sizes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alexpez 09 Mar 2007
Just received a moon fingerboard in the post and i was wondering what length screws people are using to tap these to walls?

I have some 65mm long self tapping screws here, anyone using something that length for the job of hanging fingerboards?
 Fraser 09 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez:

What material(s) are you screwing into and through?
alexpez 09 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez:

The wooden cross beams in the attic that are visible through the attic door (if i push the attic door (its not hinged, just rests) up into the attic i can see 2 beams that are 6inches by 1 1/2 inches by length of the house - looks like timber).

I was thinking if i hang it there then i can always close it to stop the missus complaining that it looks ugly in the house.

The 65mm screws protrude just under 1 1/2 inches from the back of the fingerboard.

(please excuse my laymens building terms above)
 lost1977 09 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez:

how many screws you going to use ? if you can i would probably use longer
 lost1977 09 Mar 2007
In reply to lost1977:

i take it you are attaching it directly to the beam
alexpez 09 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez:

There are 6 holes on the board itself, but theres a studded metal plate in position on both of the beams that i can see which connects two ends together, so only able to use 5 of the screws.
 fivestar 10 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez: You may be better off getting some t-nuts and proper heavy duty bolts. This is typically what is used to connect holds at indoor walls. I would imagine M10 or M12 bolts would be the right kind of diameter. As for length, it would be smart to have more than 1.5 inches coming out of the finger board if your beam is 1.5 inches thick.

Hope that helps

Cheers

James
 Fraser 11 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez:

One more question: how heavy are you?!

I would think having a 'bite' of 1.5" is probably sufficient over 5 evenly spaced fixing points, but it'd be better if they were slightly longer perhaps. I've used 6 screws for my Metolious Simulator board, which is screwed directly into a solid timber frame, which is apx. 5" think.

Obviously you'd have to introduce a backing member behind the truss you're fixing into, as you're pretty much right through the existing 1'5" timber as things stand at present.
 Matt Maynard 11 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez: Dont screw mate!
You can set up a fully detachable set up as below which you can move around your house to watch telly or chat to whoever is wherever when doing your work out.

Get a pull up bar that adjusts to the size of the wall and wedges in place by friction 10 quid at argos.

Then the clever bit. mount your fingerboard as usual. Then take 8, 90degress bend brackets and attatch each one to another till you have a three quater sided open box. This sounds confusing I appreciate but, keep with it, then take each doubled up bracket and attach them to the back of your wooden mount, evenly spread along its length. you can now hang your board on the pull up bar and it wont swing as long as the board mount is wider than the door frame. this is an awesome set up and if you are intersted i could take a picture and post it in my gallery for you to take a look at if you want?
 SebCa 11 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez: i have the exact same board, mine is up with Nigel Bens (2" 10) Wood screws, i weight near on 14 stone, and it does not even quiver.

M10's are a wee bit excessive
rlovatt 12 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez:

are there any jugs on the moon board for pull ups?
 galpinos 12 Mar 2007
In reply to rlovatt:

No absolute jugs. It's all reasonbly fingery. Best combine with some sort of bar for pull-ups/warm up.
 Nj 12 Mar 2007
In reply to Matt Maynard:
> (In reply to alexpez) Dont screw mate!
> You can set up a fully detachable set up as below which you can move around your house to watch telly or chat to whoever is wherever when doing your work out.
>
> Get a pull up bar that adjusts to the size of the wall and wedges in place by friction 10 quid at argos.
>
> Then the clever bit. mount your fingerboard as usual. Then take 8, 90degress bend brackets and attatch each one to another till you have a three quater sided open box. This sounds confusing I appreciate but, keep with it, then take each doubled up bracket and attach them to the back of your wooden mount, evenly spread along its length. you can now hang your board on the pull up bar and it wont swing as long as the board mount is wider than the door frame. this is an awesome set up and if you are intersted i could take a picture and post it in my gallery for you to take a look at if you want?

Take the pic, I am keen to see what the funk you are talkin about!! Cheers
 jkarran 12 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez:

Bolts are very excessive! If I had them to hand and had access to the back of the beam I'd use them but if I had to buy fixings I'd just use 4 to 6 2" steel chipboard screws, ~4mm dia + thread (not sure what no. these are - chipboard screws have a very deep thread and exceptional holding power in soft wood).

A bear doing pullups on that won't shear the screws!

jk
 jkarran 12 Mar 2007
In reply to jkarran:

... actually, a big bear might! Just thought how big bears get

jk
alexpez 12 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez:

Thanks for the responses guys.

Im about 11 stone, and have used 5 of the screws mentioned above, and it seems (at present at least) to be rock solid.

There arent any jugs as such on the moon fingerboard, but i have a pull up "powerbar" that attaches to door frames for pull up work.
 SebCa 12 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez: do the pull ups on the top right corners, pretty good for your fingers, hard like but you will notice the benefits
 Matt Maynard 12 Mar 2007
In reply to Nj: check out mattyork2 gallery for pics, may be a while before they get accepted by ukc though so bare with me
FraserCam 14 Mar 2007
so each time you train you will have to jump 6 feet into the air to get your hands through the manhole gap and onto your board,
or do you use a ladder?
or do you have a really low roof...
maybe your 7feet tall?

Theres no chance you could do that in my house, youd fall and break both legs!!
alexpez 14 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez:

The ceiling is 91inches above the floor, add an inch or two for the space between the bottom of the hatch and the bottom of the fingerboard.

I just push the hatch through when i want to use it, and close it back up when im done.

I can jump and reach the top of the thing from the floor, but its easier to just place a chair under it and raise my legs (use some core muscles whilst im hanging).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...