UKC

Plumbing Help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have a pipe going through a rough hole in a wall in the bathroom which I need to hold securely in place. The fit isn't tight with a ragged gap around the pipe through the hole but the gap is never much more than 5mm or so at most. The pipe moves back and forth through the hole if pushed but is reasonably solid when left alone. I can only access one side of the hole.

I want to seal the gap around the pipe with something that will hold the pipe in place solidly, and also provide a watertight seal. Silicone bodge won't work since the pipe moves too much, besides, it is crap stuff anyway.

What I want is some sort of bomb-proof waterproof cement but I don't know what to get since a lot of fillers and things on sale in Wickes tend to be fairly weak when it comes down to it.

It did occur to me that resin might work as well but I have only ever placed expansion bolts so don't know what resin to get.

Any advice appreciated.

Alan
Kev on the road 13 Mar 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
Gripfill is you best bet on this on.
It is a waterproof adhesive along the lines of the resin you use for bolts.
Just squirt it in the whole and keep going until it starts to come out.
Wet your finger and then smooth over until you get a reasonable looking surface.
You can get lots of this type of stuff in Wickes it goes under the name of Liquid nails or No more nails but i prefer Gripfill as it is the original and best.
Or you could just buy a bag of sand and a bag of cement and do it properly.

Hope this helps.
dogjogger 13 Mar 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC: you can use a ready made filler the type that comes in a tube squeeze some into a
syringe then seal round pipe or use cement grout,have a
look in the screwfix catalogue for grout guns hope this is of help cheers simon
dennis may 13 Mar 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Expanding squirty foam or evo stick Nail'n'seal.
Profanisaurus Rex 13 Mar 2007

Try fill & fix foam. It squirts out of the can, expands to fill gaps, and sets rock hard. You can then file or sand it smooth. Great stuff!
superfurrymonkey 14 Mar 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC: If you are going to use cement make sure the pipe is protected by a piece of plastic pipe as cement corrodes copper, thats what they told us at college when I did my level 2 mechanical services (posh name for plumbing). Cement is waterproof if you put waterproofer in, pack the plastic pipe in with cement and seal the gap between the plastic and copper pipe with silicon.
 Nic 14 Mar 2007

Chewing gum? Seems to work for the staples I've placed on Portland?

Simon Pelly 14 Mar 2007

As mentioned above. Recommend that you put some sort of sleeve over the pipe before filling
 Fraser 14 Mar 2007

What's the construction of the wall? (presumably solid external masonry?) And what does the pipe connect to and/or contain - is it drainage?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...