UKC

Dentelles de Montmirail

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cormorant 15 Mar 2007
Does anyone know of a climbing guide book for the Dentelles de Montmirail, Southern France, or, if included in a more general guide book (ie: selected/best/favourite routes in France type book etc.)preferably in English Please.

Mike Thornton
 Rob Kennard 15 Mar 2007
In reply to cormorant: I seem to recall that this crag is in the same guidebook as the Buis de Baronnais, I think- do a search for that one,
Rob
 Doug 15 Mar 2007
In reply to cormorant: Don't have the book here to check but think its included in the Birkett guide to French rock climbing, but thats now a bit old & only gives one or two routes per crag anyway. French topos are pretty easy to understand, even for a linguistically challenged Brit.
 El Greyo 15 Mar 2007
In reply to cormorant:

Jingo Wobbley do a guide to that region, but it's not to everyone's taste. I find their grading is very strange.

I think it's better to get the local topo guide which you can get in Vaison-la-Romaine and probably other towns around the area. It's in French but is perfectly useable by a non-French speaker like me.
 Jimmy D 15 Mar 2007
In reply to cormorant:

Dentelles de Montmirail :
Régis Leroy, Olivier Gaude, CAF Avignon, 1999, 90 FF (épuisé/exhausted, prochaine édition 2003).

You're also in luck because it's in the brand new Jingo Wobbly Avignon guide:

http://www.jingowobbly.com/AVS/AVS-data/Dentelles.html

Fabby climbing slap in the middle of the Gigondas and Beaumes de Venise vineyards. Sounds pretty much like heaven!
cormorant 16 Mar 2007
In reply to Jimmy D:

Thanks Jimmy, looks like just the place
 hutchm 16 Mar 2007
In reply to cormorant:

It's an excellent place. I think I picked up the topo either in Vaison or in the village on the way into the crag - there's a tourist info place there. Don't think it's the same guide as Buis-des-Barronies, which is another great place to visit, if it's an extended trip.

Make sure you do a 'sampling' trip around the vineyards....
 Exocet 19 Mar 2007
In reply to cormorant:Jimmy D says it all. Great climbing, great wine. Ideal place for an early holiday, but don't go in the summer. Although Gigondas North is a great crag and you can climb there when it's hot, they have started the anti fire climbing ban that other regions have had for a few years - June, July and August I think. April is a good month - though it can rain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...