UKC

NEWS: Aged 16-25?...Become A Sponsored Climbing Hero

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 15 Mar 2007
Scarpa UK part of the Mountain Boot Company, based in Newcastle, are offering four young climbers a substantial product placement contract for 12 months, including, rock shoes, approach shoes and supporting accessories.

More details at the news page of UKClimbing.com.. http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 jl100 15 Mar 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Nice I suppose you have to be good to do it though which would rule me out. Although, if not how do i go about getting free stuff?
 Marc C 15 Mar 2007
In reply to JoeL 90: Sorry, but think it's aimed at young, hard climbers like me.
 cidersoak 15 Mar 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: scarpa... lovely brand, but not as good as five ten or evolve as the rubber is shite!...
 Padraig 15 Mar 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

"Brand Ambassadors" AND
Expert coaching and commercial guidance from Andy Earl
Attendance to Scarpa team meetings and an opportunity to climb with and learn from Pro' stars.
A years free access to the Climbing Works in Sheffield.
A chance to meet the Scarpa rock shoe designers and be part of a superb and dynamic brand development.

HAUD ME BACK!!!!
 andi turner 16 Mar 2007
In reply to cidersoak:

Careless Torque, ground up..... Body Swerve..... must be rubbish.
Anonymous 16 Mar 2007
In reply to cidersoak: their boots have been redisigned and the rubber changed for this year and I haven't heard anything but good reports.
 Marc C 16 Mar 2007
In reply to Anonymous: Yeah, but what have this lot ever done?

http://www.scarpa.co.uk/team/
 Rob Naylor 16 Mar 2007

Can they specify age limits like that? I thought rules had recently changed.

Our ads for people have had to be completely re-vamped recently to avoid any possible age-related connotations.
Iggy_B 16 Mar 2007
In reply to Rob Naylor: So perhaps Children's BBC competitions shouldn't just be for the under 12s?
 jl100 16 Mar 2007
In reply to Rob Naylor: Its probably not a great idea because the vast majority of climbers in the UK are aged about 30-50? there certainly aren't that many 16 year old ones anyway, I hardly ever see people under 25 at the crags.
 Rob Naylor 16 Mar 2007
In reply to Iggy_B:
> (In reply to Rob Naylor) So perhaps Children's BBC competitions shouldn't just be for the under 12s?

Different situation, I think. It's one thing to have age categories in competitions, etc, another to discriminate in employment-type activities on grounds of age.

I've had to re-word ads recently to cut out such words as "experienced" (would discriminate against school/ uni leavers), "dynamic" or "energetic" (implies youth). Mention of age ranges is a complete no-no. So wondering whether sponsorship has to stick to the same rules.
 Ed Booth 16 Mar 2007
In reply to JoeL 90: I know loads of people my age who climb. a lot of the [people i climb with are slighty younger as well. Ed
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: are they offering Grivel and Scarpa ice gear and boots to be tested by young winter climbers and aspiring alpinist like myself? no where near good enough on rock for sponsorship.
In reply to JoeL 90: I see lots of folk of 25 and below both at the wall and the crag.
Bingly Bong 16 Mar 2007
In reply to Rob Naylor: Would they be 'employed' though? It's only the employment law that has changed (I think)
 jl100 16 Mar 2007
In reply to Richard Bradley: yeah theres penty climbing at the wall. I just never see any when i climb at Widdop, Heptonstall or Armscliff in fact i hardly ever see any at stanage. Maybe I go to the wrong places or at the wrong time? Im sure they do but we're certainly not the age group with the most climbers in.

Just out of intrest where do you normally climb?
 willhunt 16 Mar 2007
I would love to apply but I can only flash E3 on slate and thats probably not good enough. Wouldnt be able to take time out from school stuff which is a pain too. Wouldnt have a clue where to start on a CV for climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...