UKC

Grateful Dead

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Geoffrey Michaels 03 Apr 2007
I have American Beauty, Working Man's Dead and Shakedown Street. Which should be my next purchase?
 Ross McGibbon 03 Apr 2007
In reply to Donald M:
Live albums. Any of them. Far better as a live band.
If you drop me an email I will copy you a few gigs to CD (not official releases). The Dead were cool with people trading shows that hadn't been released.
You might want to go to Yahoo Groups and join Eurotraders, where a load of Deadheads hang out.
I was lucky enough to hear them play once, in 1990 and it led to an obsession with listening to live shows.
What a band!

Ross
Removed User 03 Apr 2007
In reply to Donald M:
> I have American Beauty, Working Man's Dead and Shakedown Street. Which should be my next purchase?

Prozak and LSD.

You've actually listened to American Beauty and want to buy another Dead album? Jesus.

pog100 03 Apr 2007
In reply to Ross McGibbon:

Heard them play a five hour set including a thunderstorm, in 1973, so there! *smiles*

Good band, even my 17 year old likes 'em.

Mike
In reply to Donald M:

Legitimate free live 'Dead downloads:
http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

Or buy Live/Dead, Steppin' Out With The Grateful Dead - England'72, Two From The Vault followed by a million others:
Dick's Pick's: http://stores.musictoday.com/store/dept.asp?band_id=171&dept_id=1541&am...

Off to re-tie my greying ponytail...

S Andrew 04 Apr 2007
In reply to Donald M:

Live Dead is good.
Also Reckoning, the skull & roses one and Stepping Out...

Do you actually like Shakedown St?
Geoffrey Michaels 04 Apr 2007
In reply to Irton Pike:

Not really, it is a bit boring and when I first heard it I thought that poor old Gerry was in the pay of EMI or something.
 overdrawnboy 04 Apr 2007
In reply to Donald M:
Seek out "Live in Europe 72" wonderful versions of most of their classic tracks.I think it's the best compilation they (or anyone)did.I've had the vinyl version since 74 and now have it on CD, my alltime no 1 choice.
There is a free website called Deadshow. org with masses of live recordings from gigs in 1977. It's a bit chaotic but virtually their whole repertoire is there, some great stuff if you have a bit of patience.
 Jimmy D 04 Apr 2007
In reply to Donald M:

Recently bought my first Grateful Dead Album - In The Dark, for their original version of 'Black Muddy River', which I'd heard performed by Norma Waterson. That track is pretty good, but the rest is dire.
 graeme jackson 04 Apr 2007
In reply to Donald M: Live is definitely better than studio as far as The Dead go. You must get Live/dead, the first properly recorded live album. The most recent release - Live at the Cow palace is excellent, as is Live in Europe '72. I particularly like the closing of winterland album. As far as studio albums go, Blues for Allah is good as is terrapin station.
 John2 04 Apr 2007
In reply to Donald M: If you can afford it, the Golden Road boxed set contains everything you'd ever want with the exception of Reckoning. To me the two best are Live Dead and Skull and Roses.
joachimn 04 Apr 2007
In reply to Removed User:
"You've actually listened to American Beauty and want to buy another Dead album? Jesus."

That's right! What more do you need?

Geoffrey Michaels 04 Apr 2007
In reply to joachimn:

More?
Regis Von Goatlips 04 Apr 2007
In reply to overdrawnboy:
> (In reply to Donald M)
> Seek out "Live in Europe 72"

AB-SO-LUTELY.

Regis Von Goatlips 04 Apr 2007
In reply to Regis Von Goatlips:

Coincidentally I believe it's entitled simply "Europe 72". May be mistaken.
In reply to Donald M:

Just been on a site where you can download all these ones for nothing.

1967 - Grateful Dead
1969 - Aoxomoxoa
1969 - Live Dead
1970 - American Beauty
1970 - Workingman's Dead
1974 - From The Mars Hotel
1975 - Blues For Allah
1977 - Terrapin Station
1977 - What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
1980 - Go to Heaven
1981 - Dead Set
1981 - Reckoning
1987 - In The Dark (mpc)
1990 - Without a Net
2003 - The very best of (Remastered)
1974 - Skeletons from the closet (best of)
1991 - Infared Roses
2004 - Rockin The Rhein
Benjii 04 Apr 2007
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor:

Jeez only the first time i hear Aoxomoxoa mentioned and its in a discography!! wat an album!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...