UKC

physics problem/does my arse look huge in this?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
martin k 05 Apr 2007
puzzled of high peak writes "when i weigh myself, and the scales are on a hardwood floor, i weigh 12st. when, moments later, i weigh myself on the same scales but on a carpeted floor i end up weighing 12st 7. what the heck's going on? isn't it a case of equal and opposite reactions? surely i weigh the same whatever surface i'm on?"

discuss
In reply to martin k: would that aply to the surface of the moon?
 S Andrew 05 Apr 2007
In reply to martin k:

It's the extra gravitational pull of the carpet.
Regis Von Goatlips 05 Apr 2007
In reply to martin k:

Oy gevalt. Stand on a floor scale. Now lean back and forth and watch what happens.
 Andy Say 05 Apr 2007
In reply to martin k:
Well if you've got a really springy carpet the pile will be pushing up at the same time that your body weight is pushing down; thus producing a greater 'compression' force which the scales reflect. The wood floor just quietly lies there doing nothing.
OR
Walking across the carpet has produced a static charge in your body which is attracting the base of the scales thus producing a higher measurement.
OR
There is a gravitational anomaly in your house.
OR
You really have to stop binge snacking as you walk around you various weighing sites, martin.
thesiaus 05 Apr 2007
In reply to martin k:

is it not the three and a half bags of sugar you just stuffed into your pockets?
 Pythonist 05 Apr 2007
In reply to morphus:

Great, isn't it... Four Cambridge students do a final year project on why people weight more on carpetted flooring, and an article in New Scientist to boot. What's education coming to?
bergalia 05 Apr 2007
In reply to Andy Say:
> (In reply to martin k)
> Well if you've got a really springy carpet the pile will be pushing up at the same time that your body weight is pushing down;

Yeh, sounds like a problem of piles...
 Andy Say 05 Apr 2007
In reply to bergalia:
Increasing his weight by seven pounds? Don't go there!
shadrachyrci 05 Apr 2007
In reply to morphus:

WOW Martin K can read and article and reproduce it ...well spotted Morphus and another later on

have you see the video...

youtube.com/watch?v=ztYnh1dD7MI&
 Blue Straggler 05 Apr 2007
In reply to Pythonist:
> (In reply to morphus)
> [...]
>
> Great, isn't it... Four Cambridge students do a final year project on why people weight more on carpetted flooring, and an article in New Scientist to boot. What's education coming to?

Er

That's one of the jobs of "science" - to explain commonly observed everyday phenomena. I don't have a problem with it (I didn't read the article but I am aware of the question, it came up a few years ago). A final-year project doesn't tend to take a year. My final year undergrad project didn't take long at all (and most of the lab time was spent in a coffee shop due to accessibility issues)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...