UKC

Quiet Stanage grit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si Withington 12 Apr 2007
Ay up.

Off to Stanage Saturday with a mate who is proficient at about 6a lead indoors but aint been out on the rock properly yet. I'm after a quiet crag somewhere (can't be doing with climbing in a 'theatre'!) on the Stanage with a couple of nice Diff/VDiff to Severe type climbs where he can get used to placing gear and stuff.

Any ideas Gritmeisters?

Cheers lots,

Z.
 Caralynh 12 Apr 2007
In reply to zebedoo:

Far End is usually pretty deserted. Or the Causeway Crags area (not great routes, but fine for practise stuff).
If you have the new Eastern Grit guide, there are symbols to show how busy particular areas are likely to be.
 Fiend 12 Apr 2007
In reply to zebedoo:

Crow Chin is the place you want to go to.
 orge 13 Apr 2007
In reply to zebedoo:

Another vote for Stanage End. Lovely rough grit, with a good selection of routes at those grades. I would have thought you will have the place to yourselves, more or less...

Approach is easiest from the Cuthroat Layby, if you can't park at the top of the hill.

J

P.S. Don't leave anything of value in your car, as you do get break-ins down there.
 Angie Lester 13 Apr 2007
In reply to zebedoo: Zeb just to let you know as you said you wanted quite, we'rwe doing a climbing meet there this w/e for our club "the Mountain Club" .... sorry dude! there only about 6 of us on the say and pos 10 on the sun...
Chris Tan.Clone II 13 Apr 2007
In reply to zebedoo:

Apparant north, usually deserted and catches all the sun from early morning onwards.

You might bump into the odd blodderer or two after midday.
 Adam Long 13 Apr 2007
In reply to zebedoo:

Listen to Fiend, Crow Chin.
 GrahamD 13 Apr 2007
In reply to zebedoo:

> Off to Stanage Saturday

and

>I'm after a quiet crag somewhere

That is illogical, captain.

Simon Caldwell 13 Apr 2007
In reply to Fiend:
The only problem with Crow Chin is that it is commonly known as a quiet place to go, and can often therefore be busy with people seeking solitude :-|
 Monk 13 Apr 2007
In reply to zebedoo:

Some of the smaller buttresses around High Neb can be quite quiet (either side of Blurter buttress) and have some pleasant routes.

I'd agree about Crow Chin though - I've never had that area to myself, despite it's quiet reputation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...