UKC

Sigma 10-20mm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tris 02 May 2007
Does anybody own/has used one of these lenses? Are they any good?

Thinking of getting one - can't afford the Nikon 12-24mm.

Dr Avid 02 May 2007
In reply to Tris: Well I'm thinking of getting one too if it helps.....from what ive read the only complaints are its a bit slow and possible build quality....was looking at a 15mm fisheye, as on 1.5 bodies it becomes more of an ultrawide than a fish, but its not quite as wide as the 10-20 and there is still distortion. I still cant quite decide as fisheyes are great for snowboarding etc, but they only really have a single use, whereas the 10-20 could have loads of uses....
 sandywilson 02 May 2007
In reply to Dr Avid:

I wouldn't get one after reading this http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison.htm

However, Tokina looks a good bet!
OP Tris 02 May 2007
In reply to Dr Avid: thanks - yeah, I have dismissed the fisheyes and edging towards a super-wide for the same reasons..
Hadn't heard of the speed issue, but was aware of the build quality. Will do some more research.
OP Tris 02 May 2007
In reply to sandywilson: I had read that, but this review seems to say the opposite:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_1020_456/index.htm
 Dr Avid 02 May 2007
In reply to Tris: Kenny boy isnt a big fan of Sigma......everyone I know that has one loves it.

However, Jethro has a Tokina i think? I'd be interested to hear his opinion....
Pepperoni 02 May 2007
In reply to Dr Avid: YEah Ive got one and love it on my 350d. Just had it in INdia with me and great for architecture and landscapes with people/interesting foregrounds. Obviously ultra wide gives a unique perspective and there is fairly heavy distortion especially at the edges when a subject is close to the lens - e.g. someone walking in the corner of the frame will have their arms/body stretched. Build quality on mine is great. Feels solid and IQ is nice, sharp and bright.

Lens is fairly slow but you aren't really gonna be using an ultra wide hand held in low light. composition etc takes a bit of getting used to but now I wouldnt give it up as it gives some unique takes on scenes.
 sandywilson 02 May 2007
 Marek 02 May 2007
In reply to Tris:
I have one - no complaints. Seems very sharp and contrasty at both ends. Decent build quality. Good hood.
10mm take getting use to - the perspective can be odd.
The Ken Rockwell review seems a bit whingy - "works well but I don't like it".
In reply to Marek:

My Sigma 10-20mm arrived 20 minutes ago from Foto Sense!
 sandywilson 02 May 2007
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:

What are you doing on here then?

Just reralised the iso setting was on 800,Doh!
 orge 02 May 2007
In reply to Tris:

I also have a Tokina 12-24 and can vouch for its builld qulaity and excellent pictures.

J
 jethro kiernan 02 May 2007
In reply to Tris: I have the tokina lens which I think is brilliant for the money, it has a fixed maximum aperture which is important for me as I often shoot in manual, the build quality is better than sigma and I have no complaints about the optics. I have been led to believe the difference in the quality of the tokina v nikon is not enough to justify the price difference. All in all a big thumbs up, any of the recent pics in my gallery that are obviosly wide angle have been shot with this lens.
 jethro kiernan 02 May 2007
In reply to Tris: for the price of the nikon 12-24mm you can get the tokina and the nikon 10.5mm if you hunt around? am thinking of saving up for the 10.5mm we will see?
OP Tris 02 May 2007
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.: thanks for posting your shots, they look great... looks like you're going to be having fun experimenting!
OP Tris 02 May 2007
In reply to jethro kiernan: I would get the Tokina, but I wanted a lens I could use with the D40 I just bought. The AF is not compatible and I tend to be lazy and not use manual much.

Having seen your superb wide shots on here made me think about a new lens. Keep up the good work!

Tris
 sandywilson 02 May 2007

Oh god!! You sell Buffs as well as red socks =

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...