UKC

Distance Measuring Software

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Liam M 03 May 2007
A while ago someone posted a link to some software that had OS maps (I think) and allowed you to plot a series a waypoints on it and gave you the distance. I was just wondering if anyone could remember the URL or knew of any similar packages.
 Maestro 03 May 2007
In reply to Liam M: You can do that sort of thing on memory map which you have to buy or "borrow". The only online thing i can think of at the moment, which is actually quite good, is
bikely.com

Hope that helps
 Castleman 03 May 2007
In reply to Maestro:

www.gmap-pedometer.com

depends how accurate you want.
OP Liam M 03 May 2007
In reply to Liam M: Cheers - I'll have a look at them. I'm just wanting to check roughly how far I'm running. I did the string along a map thing earlier, but convinced myself the result was too far, so just wanted to find something else to check I'm vaguely in the right ballpark. Now I just need to start timing the runs.
 Dr Avid 04 May 2007
In reply to Liam M: www.mapmyrun.com uses google maps
 Martin W 04 May 2007
In reply to Liam M: You may be thinking of http://www.magic.gov.uk - it's actually a tool for local authority planners and the like. Click on Interactive Map, select something like Administrative Areas from the "what do you wish to view?" list, enter a postcode, grid reference or whatever and the map should appear (you'll need to disable your pop-up blocker if you have one). You can measure distances using the area measuring tool - it's the ruler with the dotted loop above it in the Map Tools tab. The pop-up window shows the length of the "perimeter" as you trace your route on the map. It's better than the tools based on Google Maps (eg mapmyrun, runstoppable) for routes in open country but you can't save routes (that's not what it is intended to be used for anyway) and it doesn't show elevation profiles. The Google Maps tools can be OK for routes in open country if the satellite photos of the area in question are sufficiently high resolution.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...