UKC

NEWS: Cheddar Restrictions and Openings - Plan Ahead

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 07 May 2007
Cheddar Gorge has received a makeover in recent years; newly equipped routes (300 of them), a new guidebook, an extended climbing season, and very positive collaboration between local climbers, the BMC, the National Trust, and Cheddar Caves and Gorge.

If you are planning a trip to Cheddar make sure...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Moacs 07 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Hi Mick

Forgive me for being dense. I am looking at the diagram of crags where summer climbing is allowed. Are the crag names in BOLD the allowed ones or the red boxes? How far onto high rocks is climbing allowed?

Cheers

John
 AJM 07 May 2007
In reply to Moacs:

I have to confess I'm not entirely sure of this one either.

The calendar has a list of the crags to which summer access is allowed, which may help you figure it out (it hasn't me, but I might just be being more dense), and to be fair you will probably need the Crocker mini-guide to get much out of a trip there. It is definitely more than just the red boxes though, and the bold names appear to miss some out as well (Horseshoe Bend Buttress for example).

As for High Rocks, I think (but don't quote me) that basically if its single pitch (starting from the ground) its probably included, and that if its multipitch its almost 99.9% certainly out. Its just the wings, in other words - from a memory of my mate's mini-guide (I need to buy one. Any idea where apart from the Caves shop sells them - I'm generally down of an evening after the shop has closed), things like Shangri-La, Still Waters Run Deep, Twilight of Imperialism, stuff like that.

AJM
OP Michael Ryan 07 May 2007
In reply to Moacs:

I'll try and get some clarification John.

Mick
 James Moyle 07 May 2007
The New calendar now makes it really clear when you can climb and on which bits. A vast improvement on the RAD's confused message. Well done the BMC. However to not jepordise the new arrangements, a few signs in the car parks would help those that are a little confused.
 Paz 08 May 2007

It's a really nice first draft. Have they got the existing extended access for the reservoir walls (Consolation etc.) on too?

It's a difficult task to summarize 6 different access regimes,
(Existing Winter, Reservoir walls+Swine cliff, Cheddar Gorge climbing Project restored routes, North side open, North-side-don't-drop-rocks-on-the-public-in-summer, North side-blind-eye-low-profile-we-rather-you-didn't).

It should get the simple message across to people that no you can't climb Coronation Street at the moment.
 Paz 08 May 2007
In reply to James Moyle:

John Alcock brought this up at the open meetign ages ago, and basically they aren't keen on putting signs up in the gorge. Ordinary members of the public might start thinking they can go climbing too if they see signs advertising it.
 James Moyle 09 May 2007
In reply to Paz: I thought that might be the case. What about the BMC posting a copy of the calendar, to members most likely to visit, i.e. up to a couple of hours away - too expensive?
Also, what about colour coding the map with the same colours as on the calendar to show which walls are restricted to winter, etc.
Basically, its not easy, is it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...