UKC

commitment levels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CJD 09 May 2007
would you be able to cope if you were told that you could never climb again, or would you fall apart and fall into a huge slough of despond?

if not climbing, what one pastime could you not live without?

personally, whilst I love climbing and try to get out every weekend (or thereabouts - sometimes more, sometimes less) if you told me I could never climb again I'd be gutted, but nowhere near as gutted as I'd be if I was told I was never going to be able to read another book again (and yes, pedants, let's include braille and audiobooks in that).

what about you?
OP CJD 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

n.b. I'm aware that all of this is purely speculative as many of us are, at this moment, lucky enough not to be in a position of having to face that news or make that decision.
 Ridge 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

Walking. Just recovering from a cracked toe, and I can't believe how depressed I was not to be able to get out in the hills.

As regards climbing, I'm starting to drift away from it. Not climbed for maybe 6 months, just not got the taste for it. Took me ages to be a mediocre climber at best, and I just can't be bothered to start again from scratch.
MartF 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

If I stay away from the countryside too long I start to go a bit insane and irritable. Anger almost.

As such I reckon I couldn't live without getting up into the hills.
 John Wood 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

My phsyio recently slapped a ban on climbing and running and after a month I was completely dispondent. Especially as I've got a place in the great north run that I may have to differ.

My mood changed completely once I joined a gym and could get an endorphin hit on the machines.

On the basis of that I'd say that as long as I could be active one way or another I could cope but basically I'm a 12 year old boy and need to tire myself out...
 Caralynh 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

I'd be upset, of course. Very much so. Then I'd get a sense of perspective, depending on WHY I couldn't climb. If it were a disability, I'd try to find another outdoors activity I enjoyed, even if that meant wheelchair or prosthetic limbs. If it were that climbing as a pastime were banned, again, I'd think of something else to do.

One thing I couldn't cope with is being told I could never go to the mountains again in any capacity, not even wandering round at lowland level. Not that that's likely. And I'd find going blind worse than deafness or physical disability, I think.
 Rubbishy 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

Rock climb - I would be upset but would handle it

Ice and alpine I would be completely gutted but it would allow me to slope off Tilman like to the boat...
 JimR 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

I'd find something else to do, i've often had huge gaps when I've started doing something else like fishing,surfing sailing,drinking However I've always returned to climbing.
 cathsullivan 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

I think I'd find it very hard if I had to stop going climbing but I suppose I would adapt. I had quite a long period (well, a few months but seemed very long to me) when I couldn't exercise at all - couldn't even walk very far - and it made me quite depressed. Since then I've often thought that being 'banned' from one activity wouldn't be too bad because I could probably find a different one that I could still do. But being restricted from all physical activity would be very hard for me, I think.
 HC~F 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD: I'd be gutted, but it wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. That would be losing the pastime of....

Walking. Basically not being able to get out into the hills and have that feeling of freedom would be a killer. Having to struggle to get into the hills from London has made me depressed enough, I can't imagine what I'd be like if I was told I could never walk in the Lakes/North Wales/Scotland etc again.

I'd really struggle with reading as well though..
OP CJD 09 May 2007
In reply to HC~F:

i think just losing freedom full stop would be horrendous. I sometimes see the prison trucks going down to the court in town as I grumble my way to work, and I (being driven to thinking too much from time to time) start to think about how it'd be to be in that truck, looking out at people wandering along the street, and know that I wasn't able to do that.
 climbingpixie 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

I probably would fall into a slough of despair if something stopped me from climbing, especially if it stopped me from finding another other physical activity to replace it. I'm an active person and for the last five years or so I've had physical hobbies. So my worst nightmare would be full paralysis, even worse than not being able to read or listen to music.
OP CJD 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

hmm, from the (admittedly small) response so far I'm finding this interesting if slightly curious, but I suppose it's logical that people who consider themselves climbers will be more likely to position themselves as motivated by physical activity.

for me there's gotta be a balance between the physical and (for want of a less affected term) the intellectual . The thought of having the freedom/right to read taken away from me is horrible. Or maybe a bit broader than that, the freedom to hear stories.

anyway - carry on - it's interesting me.
 omerta 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

Listening to music. I started playing the piano at 4, clarinet at 8 (I was an awful precocious primary school kid but had that battered out of me at secondary....), etc...so have been brought up by parents who loved music, whose parents in turn ran courses and awarded bursaries. I've got something in the upper-ridiculous thousands of CDs and quite simply, couldn't live without music. No way.
>
>
>

Tiggs 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD: The first time my back went badly and I had to have surgery, I thought I would go out of my mind not being able to do what I wanted to do and rely on others. I was incredibly bad tempered and bossy, but I adjusted and became more accepting of the limitations, I had to or I would have gone mad and I had a small child who did not need a mad Mum. Before my fusion op I spent 5 months virtually bed bound and then after that 3 months with v. restricted activities. So nearly 9 months totally out of doing anything. I adjusted, that's all I can say, I have various cross stitch pictures that mark the various times I was laid up, they helped to keep me sane. However, when I was fit enough again it was wey hey!

At least I could still think for myself and make decisions. Not being able to use my mind would be horrendous for me.
 Ridge 09 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

This is a fascinating thread. I can relate to the horror of going blind, or the terrifying thought of being paralysed as the worst things that could happen, but the intellectual side of things, such as CJD's reading and your love of music just don't resonate with me. Something like Alzheimers is as bad to me as physical infirmity, but books and CDs would be pretty near the bottom of my list of the worst things to be without.
Not being critical, but I just can't comprehend it.

Then again I am tone deaf and thick
 sutty 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

Having had to give it up for ten years it only bothers me that I cannot get out in the country now, although after working hard at getting fitter after my wife died and then getting hit with DVT having to stop again was hard.
So, I can only potter round now, do my diff/vdiff circuit on good days, and be a babyminder or point people at routes, just getting out with climbers stops me getting down now.

Certainly not as bad as being totally housebound, that would tip me over the edge.

omerta 09 May 2007
In reply to Ridge:
> (In reply to sarah79)
>
..the intellectual side of things, such as CJD's reading and your love of music just don't resonate with me. Something like Alzheimers is as bad to me as physical infirmity, but books and CDs would be pretty near the bottom of my list of the worst things to be without.
> Not being critical, but I just can't comprehend it.
>
>
>
>

I guess it's 'cos I sat here and thought about what I can comprehend living with out, and music is probably it....anything beyond that, physical injury or gross limitation foxes my ability to even begin to empathise. I went for the most day-to-day thing that I know I rely on to get me up, pull me through and cheer me up...and I guess further, that music, particularly, isn't an intellectual pursuit as far as washing up with my iPod stuck in my back pocket goes. It's as visceral a rush as climbing, when the tune goes with the mood....but yeah, I do understand what you're saying
OP CJD 09 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

e'zackly. I thought I was being weird (wouldn't be the first time...)
Bambi 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

Of course you would be able to cope, if you had something more important to focus on...
OP CJD 09 May 2007
In reply to Bambi:

oh yes - it's all hypothetical, isn't it? I mean, if I was in a war zone, I can't imagine I'd give much of a shit about climbing or that, but I suppose the bit that I qualified a bit further down about sharing stories - that's a basic thing that humans do. I'd miss that if it didn't happen. I could live without the book-as-physical-object.
 woolsack 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD: Having been 'obliged' to stop climbing for too many prime years, if you can find an equally satisfactory alternative it goes some way to recompense: white water kayaking did serve as a suitable adrenaline substitute but it lacked the diversity of climbing.
 nz Cragrat 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

In my younger days <wise old sage voice> I used to be a mountaineer, it was a place I needed to be. Rockclimbing was just training for the real thing. I was quite disparaging when even talking about it. Dismissive even.

Living in th UK for a while made me have to rockclimb but I wasn't really into it. That came with time at Smith Rocks, a month in Yosemite,Squamish, Fire rock shoes, a month in Arapiles and realising how much time I spent being wet cold and miserable or stuck in a hut while back on the lower levels the sun shone and there were new crags opening up. One pushy alpine climb had me questioning why and if this was why I originally started doing it so I stepped away from Alpine climbing something I never thought I could do.

So rockclimbing became a major focus with the assistance of a government climbing grant for a while. New routes all sorts... fit climbing well etc.

Somewhere along the way a bit of real life kicked in. Grades plummeted (annoying since most of my peers are climbing teh same or harder than they did 10 years ago). The mind games set in.

I suppose now I am up and down. Quite involved but I don't NEED to climb to anything like the same extent. I do but I think I could let it go. But I suspect I would have some involvement in some way still even if not as actively.

Like CJD though I think losing my sight - ability to read/photograph would be harder a challenge for me to accept.
 eppa 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD: knee popped on Monday and am awaiting doctors opinion as to whether or not I've knackered my meniscus. If I have I'll probably have to stop climbing or face very early arthritis so, not wanting to sound too melodramatic, I'm bricking it a bit because I've really only just started climbing and love it to bits. I want to get so much more done and be so much better than I am now that if my progress and enjoyment were suddenly limited I'd probably become quite bitter about it as it's one of only a few things I've really given a toss about thus far.

If I lost my sense of taste I'd be very upset. Reading would be a great loss, yes. Loss of hearing I would probably place after sight; I can't think of many sounds I would miss, and there is so much noise, but seeing things feels like a really vital ability to me.

hey, girlfriend just thought of one related to my being on anti-flammatories for the knee (that can cause stomach ulcers): red wine. I think I'd miss red wine if I couldn't drink it any more due to an ulcer!

there are probably lots of things not missed until they're gone and you look back on their loss.
 coinneach 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

HHmmm!

A subject close to my heart after a recent very close thing.

When I sort of came to in the hospital my immediate thoughts were not how I would have coped without climbing, mountain biking, sailing and all the other pursuits that make an outdoor lifestyle such a brilliant thing.

Rather how I would have been able to survive without the seemingly more mundane stuff.

Playing football with my 6 year old in the garden.

No more proper hugs from my daughter.

Unable to go for Autumn Trogs along the riverbank.

How would I get to the pub?

Play the guitar?

Believe me when "It" happens it's amazing how differently you prioritise you life.

Coinneach
 tonanf 09 May 2007
In reply to CJD: I woyuld say karate, but if i couldnt climb i probably couldnt do that.

The sensible answer, i reckon, is reading.
 deepsoup 10 May 2007
In reply to CJD:
If I couldn't climb, the chances are I wouldn't be able to work anymore (not roped access, but work at height and quite physically demanding). On a good day, I enjoy my work maybe even more than climbing for fun - weird but true.
So, yes there would be a huge slough of despond (accompanied by a period of extreme skint-ness). Hopefully it wouldn't be a terminal one though, and followed by some kind of new direction. I hope I never have to find out.
 Jamesclimb 10 May 2007
In reply to CJD: That would depend on the reason i couldn’t climb.

If it was due to physical injury then i would probably become a depressed and withdrawn person.
Would roll the wheelchair over a large cliff, make sure it looks like an accident and after taking out as much life insurance as I can afford so friends and family can have some cash.

If i still had all the same abilities i currently have then i would probably find something just as exhilarating and interesting to pursue as a pastime.
Macaroon 10 May 2007
In reply to Jamesclimb:

I was thinking along a similar vein.
It would all depend on the circumstances and how much perspective was put on it.
But yes i would miss climbing but the reality is its not the be all or end all. I have plenty of other interests which could fill the gap if something happened so doesnt really bother me too much
OP CJD 10 May 2007
In reply to Macaroon:

but back to my original question, what one thing *would* you be devastated if you could never do again?

it doesn't have to be about climbing!
Macaroon 10 May 2007
In reply to coinneach:

Thats very true. I was in a similar sitation a few years ago before i really started climbing and yes your focus does change and the real priorities in life come to the fore.
Climbing is a fantastic pastime, but getting home safe to my son and wife are far more important to me personally and that plays a major part in how hard i push things and the risks i take. not that im going to sit on my ar*e all day and play it safe as that would be a bit dull!! But its about striking the right balance
Macaroon 10 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

My family
In reply to CJD:
> would you be able to cope if you were told that you could never climb again, or would you fall apart and fall into a huge slough of despond?

The day hasn't yet arrived and hopefully never will, but on being told that I had MS I had a long look at that place. I remain in one piece and rather chipper.

> if not climbing, what one pastime could you not live without?

A life without listening to music would be a very grey life indeed.

T.
 callum 10 May 2007
In reply to CJD: The obvious one is be with my partner <where's that bucket?> but if I was told I could never do martial arts again I would be very distraught, I started in 1979 and its been good to me over the years. I suppose also birding as its linked to my profession and its something I automatically do wherever I am (even driving on mountainous roads in Majorca - whoops!).
 stevomcd 10 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

Agree with coinneach, when I was lying in hospital having been told I'd broken my back but not given any more information on what the implications were, I was more worried about the everyday things than the fun stuff. The one thing that did keep coming back to me was whether or not I'd be able to snowboard again. If someone told me I'd never ride powder again, that would be really hard to take.
Nao 10 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

When I was out of action for a while due to broken wrist (about 6 months), I did get really frustrated and upset about not being able to climb. But really I think it was the other implications of not being able to climb than the climbing per se (not being able to drive, which restricted my independence enormously; not being able to participate in a lot of outdoor activities, over summer, when all my friends were doing them; not being able to do simple things like get dressed without difficulty). If someone said I could never climb again but I could do other sports, well I'd just do the other sports. I'd be a bit upset but it would not kill me or anything.

If I couldn't read then I would get very depressed (and if I couldn't read because I went blind then I'd be gutted, as that would curtail all the above mentioned things as well). I suppose what I'm saying is that I can't imagine an instance where one of my past-times would be eradicated without affecting the others. Just one isolated past-time - I think you can get around that as there are plenty of others. But a main hobby eradicated because of a wider deficit (blindness, disability) - that would be far more devastating.
OP CJD 10 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

cheers everyone.

I think I phrased my OP rather unintelligently.

I was just wondering if there was a pastime people cared about more than climbing.

but, as is painfully obvious, I didn't say that.

d'oh.
 gingerdave13 10 May 2007
In reply to CJD: depends if i was broken limbed etc.. even then i still think i'd find a way..
Nao 10 May 2007
In reply to CJD:
> I was just wondering if there was a pastime people cared about more than climbing.

How about 'Is there anything you like more than climbing?'

No, that won't do... they'll put things like 'my wife' and 'my kids'.

How about 'Is there a past-time that you care about more than climbing?'

I think that would do.

OP CJD 10 May 2007
In reply to Nao:

oh well.

brain has turned to mush.
 Ridge 10 May 2007
In reply to Nao:
> (In reply to CJD)
> [...]
>
> How about 'Is there a past-time that you care about more than climbing?'

The period between 1984 to 1990?
In reply to CJD:

> I think I phrased my OP rather unintelligently.
>
> I was just wondering if there was a pastime people cared about more than climbing.

Given the degree to which people are capable of applying their own interpretations (and wilful misinterpretations) of anything written here, you'd probably have to write a question in the strictist legal wording to get the exact answers you were after. And wouldn't that be tedious?

How about 'If your spare time became extremely limited such that you could only indulge in one of your favourite pastimes, what would that be?', though I can imagine that question would provoke a fair number of answers that might have to be read after the watershed.

T.
 El Greyo 10 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

I'm quite surprised at the number of people who have said 'If I couldn't climb, but was otherwise fit and able, I'd just find something else to do.'

I've never found another activity that I find as satisfying as climbing. And if I can't climb, I'm a grumpier and, let's be frank, less pleasant person.

I'm facing something like this situation now. I've had finger injuries every year for the past five years and have had to spend a lot of time either not climbing or climbing easier stuff, which just isn't as satisfying. After the latest pulley tear, about a month ago, I'm starting to think that maybe that's it, job's knackered, I'll never get back to climbing at a satisfactory level again. Which has depressed me a lot.
Nao 10 May 2007
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> How about 'If your spare time became extremely limited such that you could only indulge in one of your favourite pastimes, what would that be?', though I can imagine that question would provoke a fair number of answers that might have to be read after the watershed.

Eat chocolate naked with a friend?
In reply to Nao:

> Eat chocolate naked with a friend?

Mmm, challenging. I think it would be easier with a nut key.

T.

Al Evans 10 May 2007
In reply to CJD: Well somebody did this to me, it did transform my world for almost a year, but I think, just think I have got over it.
I will never forgive them of course but I guess it was not the same as having a proper serious reason for not climbing and that would be devastating, I have had to solo mostly but at least I could get out, I'm not sure how completely being unable to would affect me.
In reply to CJD: would you rather give up climbing or ukc?
OP CJD 10 May 2007
In reply to Shaun L:

UKC, obviously
In reply to CJD: hmmmn. not sure i believe you...
OP CJD 10 May 2007
In reply to Shaun L:

how nice for you.

In reply to CJD: you'll be the ukc queen again soon.

they won't let regis be the ukc queen anymore since he started advising folk to top themselves.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...