UKC

BASE jumping : anyone tried ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
diablo 20 May 2007

or would like to ?
 eileenrobley 20 May 2007
In reply to diablo:

I THINK I'd like to....... Have parachuted and loved it, but haven't quite worked out whether for me, base jumping would be a leap too far (sorry!!). I guess I'm just not sure quite where the line of acceptable risk lies with base jumping. Maybe one day....

Have you? Would you?
Flaming_climber 20 May 2007
In reply to eileenrobley: i would love to do it but i just need the money. You need to pass you skydiving licence which cost around £1500-£2000. Then you have about 500 jumps under your belt before you are allowed to base jump.
 Adam Lincoln 20 May 2007
In reply to Flaming_climber:
>before you are allowed to base jump.

You can base jump after no sky dives if you want, though its not advised. There is no set amount you have to do first.

In reply to Adam Lincoln: http://www.freefalluniversity.co.uk/bas_jumping.asp

You must have at least 200 skydives.
 Matt Rees 20 May 2007

I think the point Adam is trying to make is that if you have a rig and choose to (and are stupid enough), you could go and find your nearest big thing and hurl yourself off to your heart's content.

There aren't any regulations and you wouldn't be breaking any laws (apart from the ones that any experienced skydiver would in doing the same jump).

200 jumps is presumably, a requirement set by that school.
 Dr Avid 20 May 2007
In reply to Flaming_climber: I suspect telling base jumpers you'd just been on a base jumping course may be seen as deeply uncool....
brothersoulshine 20 May 2007
In reply to diablo:

I'd really love to. I posted this vid on here the other day

http://broadbandsports.com/node/1861
 Matt Rees 20 May 2007
In reply to diablo:

Idly clicking - it looks to me as though for just over a grand and after 7 jumps you can be throwing yourself out of a plane on your own. MAD! I always thought it would take much longer with more instruction before you can do a solo jump.

diablo 20 May 2007
In reply to eileenrobley:

havent and no i wouldnt

but i tremendously admirre people that do

In reply to Matt Rees:
> (In reply to Flaming_climber)
>
> I think the point Adam is trying to make is that if you have a rig and choose to (and are stupid enough), you could go and find your nearest big thing and hurl yourself off to your heart's content.
>
> There aren't any regulations and you wouldn't be breaking any laws

You are breaking laws if you base jump of a bridge, building, tower, etc without permission. That is why a lot of base jumpers get arrested now and again. You are trespassing. But the only legal way to jump of a building etc apart from the earth is to go with a school or get permission. And to do that you need to have a minimum requirement of skydives. I have looked into all of this. I really wanted to do it.
 Adam Lincoln 20 May 2007
In reply to Matt Rees:
> (In reply to Flaming_climber)
>
> I think the point Adam is trying to make is that if you have a rig and choose to (and are stupid enough), you could go and find your nearest big thing and hurl yourself off to your heart's content.
>
> There aren't any regulations and you wouldn't be breaking any laws (apart from the ones that any experienced skydiver would in doing the same jump).
>
> 200 jumps is presumably, a requirement set by that school.

As the man said.
 Ashley 20 May 2007
In reply to Matt Rees:
> (In reply to diablo)
>
> Idly clicking - it looks to me as though for just over a grand and after 7 jumps you can be throwing yourself out of a plane on your own. MAD! I always thought it would take much longer with more instruction before you can do a solo jump.

One of my mates did his first parachute jump as a solo jump, they had 2 days of instruction and on the 3rd day (after a night out on the lash) they jumped. It cost him significantly less than a grand too.
 eileenrobley 20 May 2007
In reply to Ashley:
That's how I did my first, albeit on a static line
Clauso 20 May 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine:
>
> I'd really love to. I posted this vid on here the other day
>
> http://broadbandsports.com/node/1861

My God... That video's left me sick with vertigo.
 drunken monkey 22 May 2007
In reply to Flaming_climber: I'm pretty sure that Base jumping in the UK is Illegal. Regardless of how may freefalls you have done..
 Mikkel 22 May 2007
In reply to Ashley:

i paid what will be like 100 pounds for my parachute course.
Course was one day, and i jumped alone end of the day.

It is quite simple realy.
You just go through over and over again what to do incase the parachute doesnt open. (cut away main chute and hope backup one works)
 Matt Rees 22 May 2007
In reply to Mokkel:

Is that static line or skydiving?
 Mikkel 22 May 2007
In reply to Matt Rees:

static line, seems to be alot cheaper in Denmark to do it, probably because you do it in Non profit making clubs...
Flaming_climber 22 May 2007
In reply to Mokkel: Have you got a licence now? Because it usually costs alot to get a licence.
 Philip 22 May 2007
Why do UK base jumpers get arrested? Trespass (apart from on railways, military bases and things) isn't a criminal offense.
 Mikkel 22 May 2007

no i never did it again, for medical reasons.

Not sure how it works over here, but i got this logbog where it list what jumps i can do and how heigh i can jump from etc. Only cost involved for me to get more things aproved would have been the cost of each jump, which back then was around 13 pounds. And the annual membership fee for club.
 SecretSquirrel 22 May 2007
In reply to drunken monkey:
Don't think its illegal in UK.

Is definitely illegal in the US... apart from one day every year when people travel from all over the world to jump off the bridge over the New River Gorge in West Virginia.
http://www.wvbridgeday.com/

Looked into this a while ago, really want to do it but you have to have logged 50 skydives/basejumps before they'll let you take part.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...