UKC

NEWS: What's in a 'route' name? Raisin Frumpsnoot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 20 May 2007
Climbers enjoy naming routes. Sometimes they name them after a song or a book, sometimes a distinctive single word name that can end up as climbing product, Ben Moon's boulder problem, Cypher at Slipstones comes to mind, which is now also the name of Ben Moon's best-selling climbing pant.

Arthur Dolphin reputedly spent almost as much time devising a suitable name for a climb as he spent climbing it.

But how did Adam Wainwright come up with Raisin Frumpsnoot, a new route he recently climbed near Llanberis?

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 GarethSL 20 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

> But how did Adam Wainwright come up with Raisin Frumpsnoot, a new route he recently climbed near Llanberis?
>

dont know how did he?

long 20 May 2007

I don't know why Kipling's groove is called Kipling's groove?

Why?
 Tony Little 20 May 2007
In reply to douglas:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> I don't know why Kipling's groove is called Kipling's groove?
>
> Why?

I think it was because it was Ruddy 'ard. Read that in one of the biographies, either the hard years or the villain.
 whispering nic 20 May 2007

'Darkinbad the Brightdayler' has a sort of mythical feel as a name.

'I ran the bath' is a top quality moniker for silliness

'I drink, therefore I am' as a corruption of the Descartes quote from Discourse on Method is quite witty.

Ian Hill 20 May 2007
In reply to whispering nic:

careless torque

four door dostoevsky

tequila mockingbird
 Nj 20 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Hands down, no questions asked, best route name is... Naddyn Ddu, from Brown (or was it Willans), genious, Northerner meets Welsh.
 simes303 20 May 2007
"Visions from the dark side"
 beegsyboy 20 May 2007

The Only Fear Is a Flat Planet

Caralynh 20 May 2007
In reply to Nj:

And similarly, "Hardd"
 Will Hunt 20 May 2007

A Dream of White Horses

Wings of Unreason

I think the name of a climb has often lead to me wanting to do it as much as the route itself. That said, next FA I get if its on a popular crag will be named it "Thats so Les Dennis" if it fits the bill. If you copy this name I will chip your route and then turn it into a bolt ladder. Ethics be damned.
 Tyler 20 May 2007

Think you might have made a mistake in the report, the following description was actually the definition of Forsinain Motspur, an old Trevor Hodgson route near to Adam's new route:

"Apparantly it has something to do with the fourth wheel of a supermarket trolley which looks identical to the other three but renders the trolley completely uncontrollable and a word used to describe the right of the lord of the manor to molest dwarves on their birthdays"
Ackbar 21 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I don't quite understand. Does the molesting take place on the Lord's birthday or the dwarf's birthday?
 rc 21 May 2007
In reply to Tyler:
Agreed...from the online transcript of 'the meaning of liff' http://folk.uio.no/alied/TMoL.html
FORSINAIN (n. archaic): The right of the lord of the manor to molest dwarves on their birthdays.
MOTSPUR (n.): The fourth wheel of a supermarket trolley which looks identical to the other three but renders the trolley completely uncontrollable.
Origin of Adam's route name is here: http://www.dmmclimbing.com/newsArticle.asp?id=32
 TobyA 21 May 2007
In reply to beegsyboy:

> The Only Fear Is a Flat Planet

Unless you mean a different route to Garthwaite and Clarke's route on Ranoch wall, tt's not "The Only Fear Is a Flat Planet" because if it was it wouldn't be nearly as good a route name. It is "Fear of a Flat Planet", as in "Fear of a Black Planet" the seminal and superb Public Enemy album.
 TobyA 21 May 2007
In reply to Will Hunt:
> If you copy this name I will chip your route and then turn it into a bolt ladder. Ethics be damned.

Sometimes people just come up with the same name by chance. I recorded a route on Jetty Crag near Gairloch maybe 10 years ago, only the next month to read OTE to find someone had given their new sports route at Portland - completely the other end of the county - the same name (Shallow End of the Gene Pool). I had just sent my route details to the SMC so there was no way they could have read the name in mag or whatever. We must of both heard the phrase on the radio or something.

I heard a good April fools gag last month on American radio about a new comedy series based on the wacky antics of some wannabe terrorists, all of whom are called Ahmed. The title of this made up show was "Jihad to be there" (say it quickly if you don't get it) and I thought, I'm havin' that! So yesterday I climbed the probable first ascent of three star narrow chimney - a struggle (the best translation of Jihad) indeed, and one that will only be appreciated by those who "accept the experience": so now I have given it that name. Maybe somewhere out there there is an American climber who heard the same programme and thought "That's funny. I'll use that as a route name", but hopefully I've beaten them to it!
OP Michael Ryan 21 May 2007
In reply to rc:
> (In reply to Tyler)
> Agreed...from the online transcript of 'the meaning of liff' http://folk.uio.no/alied/TMoL.html
> FORSINAIN (n. archaic): The right of the lord of the manor to molest dwarves on their birthdays.
> MOTSPUR (n.): The fourth wheel of a supermarket trolley which looks identical to the other three but renders the trolley completely uncontrollable.
> Origin of Adam's route name is here: http://www.dmmclimbing.com/newsArticle.asp?id=32

Bingo!

Is there a route called Bingo?

Mick

andi turner 21 May 2007
In reply to Ackbar:
Does the molesting take place on the Lord's birthday or the dwarf's birthday?

The clue is in the name, but I'm not sure who Ian is.

danm 21 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Favourite route names: Weasels Rip My Flesh, and Subterranean Rabbit Launcher
 Nic 21 May 2007
In reply to TobyA:

>>> Sometimes people just come up with the same name by chance. I recorded a route on Jetty Crag near Gairloch maybe 10 years ago, only the next month to read OTE to find someone had given their new sports route at Portland - completely the other end of the county - the same name (Shallow End of the Gene Pool). I had just sent my route details to the SMC so there was no way they could have read the name in mag or whatever. We must of both heard the phrase on the radio or something.

Indeed, that's my route, and I had no idea you'd come up with the same! IIRC I had seen the phrase in a magazine or something, and <non PC alert!> thought it well described the characteristics of the local population. Also in keeping with my "dual meaning" approach to route naming, it was the route at the shortest end of the crag.
 TobyA 21 May 2007
In reply to Nic: Excellent! The description to my route was something like: "climb the obvious groove using various very wobbly flakes for handholds. Place the gear behind the slightly less wobbly flakes." So in this case the name was more self referential!
 popebenedictus 21 May 2007
In reply to TobyA:

I still think "Crow Man meets the Psychotic Pheasant" at Burbage West is a bit of an odd name. Anyone happen to know where that came from?
 JDSwain 21 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Portland is great for rourte names, 'Busty wedlocks needs coil of prevention' is my favourite!
 CJD 21 May 2007

my favourite route names are things like High Flying Adored, Breaking the Barrier (both nicely aspirational) and Dives/Better Things, which I think is just great, but I don't know the reasoning behind that one.

oh, and Paul Pritchard's naming seemed pretty darned spot on to me, things like Enchanted Broccoli Garden and Super Calabrese.
He did I ran the Bath, didn't he?
 John2 21 May 2007
In reply to CJD: Dives / Better Things is from the typically nasty Christian parable of Dives and Lazarus - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_and_Dives
 CJD 21 May 2007
In reply to John2:

ah, thank you for that. My biblical knowledge is somewhat sparse.
 BigMac 21 May 2007
"Raisin Frumpsnoot" is an anagram of "Rasputin if morons"

Totally useless offering to this thread
I always liked "The Snail and the Goat meet Mr.Dali and his Amazing Exploding Flapjacks".

Never climbed it, but I did follow Chris Plant up a climb in Chee Dale called "Generously Cut Trousers" - just for the name, as it was a heap of choss (sorry, I mean "a climb for the connoisseur").
levitate me 21 May 2007
where did wings of unreason come from?

If anyone hasnt seen the extracts from the old 'new routes' book on Brian Croppers climbing page then do so. aside form being a little rude there is some great banter between steve bancroft and the woodwards regading new routes and naming etc.
 Will Hunt 21 May 2007
"The Flying School" is appropriate. (Frogsmouth Quarry)
nionyn 21 May 2007
In reply to BigMac:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> "Raisin Frumpsnoot" is an anagram of "Rasputin if morons"
>
> Totally useless offering to this thread

and of Forinsian Motspur.

James Moyle 21 May 2007

Derek the flightless hedgehog - symonds yat

My Crane and My Camel - Curious holes quarry
(First climbed by Mike Raine and .. well you work it out!)
 whispering nic 21 May 2007
In reply to TobyA:

Even better is 'Fear of a Crap Planet'

Well it appeals to my cynical side anyway...
 Chris F 22 May 2007
> (In reply to rc)
> [...]
>
> Bingo!
>
> Is there a route called Bingo?
>
>
I know about a farmer who had a dog and Bingo was his name.
Tim Chappell 22 May 2007

"Infinite improbability drive."

Now that's a route name.
 HappyTrundler 23 May 2007

I think a really brilliant name for a mega hard route would be 'Wilderness of Mirrors'...it is the title of a book about CIA and Kremlin counter intelligence in the cold war...it would certainly sound a bit silly for a V Diff...
levitate me 23 May 2007
In reply to Will Hunt: where did wings of unreason come from????
 Pete 23 May 2007
In reply to Swain16:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Portland is great for rourte names, 'Busty wedlocks needs coil of prevention' is my favourite!

I have always been intrigued by 'Captain Lob meets The Nipple Pincher' at Blacknor. It says that it describes a gnarly first ascent by leader and belayer alike. I would like to know what happened!

Doug 23 May 2007
In reply to HappyTrundler: There's a VDiff called 'walk on the wild side' near Kinlochewe so why not ?
 Nic 23 May 2007
In reply to Pete:

I understand the "Captain" took a lob, and his lady partner's belay device proved closer to one of her delicate parts than was advisable in the circumstances...
 Carless 23 May 2007

Have you all forgotten "Pigs on the Wing" put up by a couple of coppers?

There's also my classic "Too Loose for a Virgin" on the Maiden stacks which got written up as "Maiden without a Hole" by mistake
 Jon_Butters 24 May 2007
I know its a completely obvious one but 'Flying Butress' has to be the coolest name going.
 Calvi 24 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

Also "Fruity Pear in a Veg Shop Romp"
Lord Percy 24 May 2007

"Jesus built My Hot Rod"

class

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...