UKC

Ball Nuts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 24 May 2007
I picked up one of these little beasties a while ago as they looked interesting, and finally got around to placing it on Wednesday.

The thing went in easily, felt solid and was allegedly easy to remove.

I like it! Time to go out and get a few more I think.
Ian 24 May 2007
In reply to davidbeynon:
pity about the price though...
 Justin T 24 May 2007
In reply to davidbeynon:

Always thought these would be much more popular if priced a bit more reasonably. For thin parallel crack pro they look ideal.
chickenpox 24 May 2007
In reply to davidbeynon: Some just sold on ebay, new, for £12, 13 and £13.50. Missed out there mate!
 CurlyStevo 24 May 2007
In reply to davidbeynon:
the second smallest one is by far the best, in larger sizes 3cus are better and I hardly ever place the smallest one.

I find they fit best in placements with a little dimple the ball can sit in.

Stevo
chickenpox 24 May 2007
In reply to CurlyStevo: Have you got yours set up right? the ball doesn't sit on the wedge facing out (does it), it sits in the groove to control the slide.
 Paddy Duncan 24 May 2007
In reply to chickenpox:
Yes the curved bit goes in the tapered slot, the flat side against the rock. It won't hold the wrong way round.....
chickenpox 24 May 2007

> I find they fit best in placements with a little dimple the ball can sit in.
>
> Stevo

Why I don't understand this post!
OP d_b 24 May 2007
In reply to Ian: Yeah. They are a bit pricy.

I don't think one or two would kill me though - they bridge the gap between my the rest of my gear and micro nuts.

In reply to CurlyStevo:

I will have a look at 3cus. Last time I considered them I was feeling a bit too broke, but I can probably afford one or two now.
 riddle 24 May 2007
In reply to davidbeynon: who makes them?
 mrtom 24 May 2007
In reply to davidbeynon: A company called Trango by the looks of it: www.trango.com/prod.php?id=36

Their cams look interesting too
 riddle 24 May 2007
In reply to davidbeynon: i have a set of their brass nuts, excellent kit use them a lot.
 Justin T 24 May 2007
In reply to davidbeynon:

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Friends___Cams_24.html

At the bottom. Camp make them too then - think they bought the original Lowe design?
 CurlyStevo 25 May 2007
In reply to chickenpox:
yes I have them set up right and the flat side of the ball goes against the rock. I still find for the best placements try and fit the flat side of the ball in to a bit of rock in can't get back out of (like a dimple).

The problems with ballnuts are:
- often in traditional nut slots if you wiggle the device it easily walks along the crack to the wider part and becomes unsafe.
- in perfectly parallel cracks they may hold for an aid placement but may not for a fall.

That's why I use them in placements the ball part fits in to.

Stevo
OP d_b 28 May 2007
In reply to riddle: The ones available in the UK seem to be made by camp.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...