UKC

NEWS: Ratho Re-Opens

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 30 May 2007
The Edinburgh International Climbing Arena formerly known as the Ratho Adventure Centre re-opened last Friday (25th May). Managed by Edinburgh Leisure on behalf of the City of Edinburgh Council the centre was the brainchild of Edinburgh climbers Rab Anderson, Duncan McCallum and architect David Taylor.....

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 220bpm 31 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

I didn't think it was that elitist at all before the overhaul. As a lowly 6c on a good day type climber there was plenty to keep me busy. What I thought was really good was the lower grade routes (6a-6c)available on the competition wall.
These routes on the competition wall have now gone (mostly 7+ now) eliminating a whole wall from my scope. Bit unimpressed by that, but not all that surprised either.
They have, however, opened lead routes at grades 3-4 which is good for beginners.

Still, it's a great venue and I can't wait till they get the boulder room open as well. Plus its 10min from my work
gaffer 31 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I notice from the price list that the gym does not seem to offer concessionary rates. As the other gym prices are identical to those of any other Edinburgh Leisure gym, this seems unfair on the elder and non-employed citizens of the Ratho area - or any other concession card holder who fancies a change of gym!
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Ratho reopens....until it closes for the next time....
 pigeonjim 31 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Have they fixed the heating or do we still need down jackets?
 Judd_IV 31 May 2007
In reply to pigeonjim:

Take your down jacket.

tracy.m 31 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Yip it's still a great place to climb, not too much changed apart from many harder routes. I've not been since it's been fully re-opened but there twice before that when it was only £5 to get in (that was fab). Yeah the price is up again now but it won't stop me going. The height of the routes are excellent though i've always found it more dificult during the week after work as it takes me 40 mins to get there so very few routes done. I find it best on days off where as the smaller walls are great of an eve (lots of mileage).

Pleased to hear they'll have a bouldering wall again - i kinda liked the bit that has gone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...