UKC

NEWS: "Scrambling is the New Climbing," ..Dave Birkett

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 03 Jun 2007
You'd think that with all the copy in Trail, TGO magazine and Outdoors Magic dot com that millions upon millions had taken up scrambling, or at least had bought the gear or were thinking of buying the gear (what gear?) to do it. It's all about perception right? Often touted as way to make the transition to rock climbing from hill walking, in reality it is far more dangerous and is good training for alpine rock, where you must not fall or else you die

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 John Wakeman 03 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Not forgetting ukscrambles.com - an excellent resource with mostly better route descriptions and pictures than Outdoors Magic, plus a forum, gallery and other stuff.
 sandywilson 04 Jun 2007

The Morrissey look was obviously popular in Ambleside yesterday =
 Will Hunt 05 Jun 2007
"Birkett is the new climbing" is what should have been said. The man is pure skill as the video Set in Stone shows.
Terry Cheek 05 Jun 2007
I have been rock climbing for 40 odd years and have recently taken up scrambling. For those of us who find it difficult to find a partner or who moan about the rain Scrambling is the answer. Following a natural feature such as a gully or ridge with minimum or no gear and probably on an unrecorded line is like taking a breath of fresh air. I would argue that Scrambling is true traditional climbing with a history going way back into the last century, so its not the new climbing. Also the overlap into climbing is further than Diff, some routes have waterfalls or steps which go at 4a / 4b. but are never likely to be visited by modern rock climbers. I agree with John. If you want to try it go to http://www.ukscrambles.com/Database/
 sutty 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Terry Cheek:

bookmarked that link, some people should be able to add some routes to it.
 gingerkate 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Terry Cheek:

It must be morphic resonance, I've recently started scrambling too ... all the fun of easy routes without the hassle of ropes ... loved it. Found I even like scrambling down stuff ... and I hate downclimbing with a vengence, so that was a bit of a surprise.
 nikinko 06 Jun 2007
In reply to gingerkate:

I'm a fan. Long adventurous ground covering days!

interested that people are assuming scrambling is an unroped activity though? I'd carry one if doing more than grade one, and would rope up from the start of anything harder than grade two.
 gingerkate 06 Jun 2007
In reply to nikinko:
I've not done any scrambles hard enough to need a rope... don't think I'd like them so much, it's the lack of rope/hassle and feeling of freedom that I liked!
 nikinko 06 Jun 2007
In reply to gingerkate:

yeah, but that's why you go Alpine Stylee on them.
 nikinko 06 Jun 2007
In reply to nikinko:

which of course for me, means moving together for a while, then whimpering and demanding a 'proper belay' at the slightest sign of something hard! ;¬)
 gingerkate 06 Jun 2007
In reply to nikinko:
I've only done it as the 'more experienced person' (ho ho)... and there was a point where I wished I'd had a rope for my companion. (I'd thought they were the more experienced person, you see, if that sounds a bit remiss, as they'd scrambled before and I hadn't, but I hadn't realised how useful climbing is as a prelude to scrambling... I thought I'd be scared stiff on the down scrambles, but I loved it).

Sorry that was really wittery!

I think I would def like the alpine stylee thing if I was the one needing holding!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...