UKC

What is The Perfect Album?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
brothersoulshine 11 Jun 2007
The perfect album:

1 - is not allowed to have any duff tracks or fillers on it, or even any that appear a little weak.
2 - excites you with the sheer brimming talent of all that were involved in its production.
3 - creates a unique, and consistent vision and is more than the sum of its parts.
4 - like a good meal, it leaves you wanting more.

This isn't necessarily the same as "best album", mainly because of rule 1 (which rules out every Beatles album).

The one that springs to mind for me is The Stone Roses first album. Not very original or obscure, I admit, but quite perfect.
 CJD 11 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine:

for me, the album I listen to again and again and again, that wakes me up most mornings and I still love it countless listens later, is The Decline of British Sea Power by British Sea Power. I'm not making any claims for it as a classic, but something about it just works sooo well for me.
 Bokonon 11 Jun 2007

Johnny Cash - American IV
Telefon Tel Aviv - Map of What is effortless
Richie Hawtin - DE9 Closer to the Edit (sort of mix/remix album)
OP Anonymous 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Bokonon:

And of course the immortal Our Men in Havannah by The Greens
In reply to CJD:

That's an album I've been meaning to get for a while. Ta for reminding me
 callum 11 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: OK so this will age me but Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is pretty damn near perfect - and it brings back some great memories for me. <shuffles off to get his Horlick's>
In reply to callum:

Good call. I pretty much always skip track 6 though. It'd be perfect without it.
 Dave Murphy 11 Jun 2007

portisheads first one
 Peter Walker 11 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: It does make you wonder, just how many supposedly "classic" albums really genuinely don't have a single duff track?

I mean, for instance, has anyone ever put in a CD of "OK Computer" and felt compelled to immediately skip the first six tracks to listen to "Fitter Happier"?

Personally, I'd nominate Talking Heads' "Remain in Light"
 Blue Straggler 11 Jun 2007
>
>
> This isn't necessarily the same as "best album", mainly because of rule 1 (which rules out every Beatles album).

well said - I am not sure that any of my top 20 albums is "perfect" whereas there are other albums that have not one "duff" track on but which still aren't in my top 20.

Is it worth saying that they can't have tracks on them which require you to be listening to the whole album (thus we might rule out The Stone Roses, for 'Elizabeth My Dear' which you wouldn't listen to in isolation really, and similarly we can't have Kraftwerk's "Radioactivity", I think there are bridging tracks there)

From the top of my head - The Repulsion Box by Sons & Daughters, and The Throes by Two Gallants are recent perfect albums (though there's a couple of songs on The Throes that I only learned to like with repeated listening).

Going back a bit - 'Graceland' - Paul Simon ?

In reply to Blue Straggler:
>
>
> Is it worth saying that they can't have tracks on them which require you to be listening to the whole album (thus we might rule out The Stone Roses, for 'Elizabeth My Dear' which you wouldn't listen to in isolation really, and similarly we can't have Kraftwerk's "Radioactivity", I think there are bridging tracks there)

i realise that this might seem to be at odds with no. 3
"3 - creates a unique, and consistent vision and is more than the sum of its parts. " but I don't think the two are necessarily exclusive.
Not sure that a consistent vision is too necessary - it's NICE but suggests "concept". 'Born Sandy Devotional' by The Triffids fits all your criteria for many people; sadly there's two songs on it that I'm not so keen on
 blueshound 11 Jun 2007

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Lou reed - Transformer
Led Zeppelin - Led Zep I
Neil Young - After The Goldrush
Neil Young (again) - Comes A Time
Air - Moon Safari
Pat Metheny - Question And Answer

so many......
wcdave 11 Jun 2007

Doolittle...The Pixies
Velvet Underground & Nico

If 'London Calling' by the Clash had been 3 sides instead of 4 it'd been in there.
In reply to blueshound:
>
> Air - Moon Safari

I've always felt that this would be a perfect album if "Sexy Boy" were not on it - I don't think it fits the overall tone of the album (it is a great single though!)
I have a tape somewhere that has Portishead's second (and superior!) album on it, and Moon Safari but without Sexy Boy, which was omitted at the time for length, but that tape now works so well...

How about 'Gentle Creatures' - Tarnation (not the re-release that has 5 bonus songs tacked onto the end) - actually that IS in my Top 20, hmm
 callum 11 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: Yes I'd, mercifully, forgotten about track 6. OK, then Rumours sans Songbird!
G'night!

skarabrae 11 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: for me its "hot fuss" by the killers, one of the few albums (in fact only one)that ive liked every track.
 marie 11 Jun 2007
In reply to blueshound:
> (In reply to brothersoulshine)
>
> Air - Moon Safari
>

I was just about to add that but see you've beaten me to it!

Another album I really like and don't skip any songs on is INXS - Kick. Nothing outstanding I know, it just does it for me.

Sorry to sound like a broken record (hah!) but can we define "fillers" here? There's some ace albums that have odd little 10 second "songs" between real songs (Throwing Muses have done this at least once), some that have stuff like a "piano reprise" of one of the big tracks, some where the CD includes "Radio Edits" of singles that are actually quite long and that had been re-mixed for radio play, some where a song includes a minute of silence at the end in order that the next track's intro is really felt..etc

One that doesn't fit these and is truly perfect according to all your criteria is:

Quique - seefeel
 coinneach 11 Jun 2007

Where are the fillers on Revolver, Sgt Peppers or Abbey Road?
 marie 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Blue Straggler: I dont think I'd have found Air if it wasnt for the Sexy Boy track!!

u2 achtung baby

rem automatic for the people

suede suede

franz ferdinand you could have it so much better

radiohead ok computer

and the bends, for that matter

and maybe green day american idiot

cheers
gregor
 Blue Straggler 12 Jun 2007
In reply to marie:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) I dont think I'd have found Air if it wasnt for the Sexy Boy track!!

Nor me, and I said it is a great single, indeed I have the 12" with the Francoise Hardy vocal on it iirc. But it doesn't sit well on the album.
 woolsack 12 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: Nevermind Nirvana.
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
>
> radiohead ok computer
>

As someone else mentioned: Fitter, Happier? You don't think that's filler, or "weak"? It's even in small font on the tracklisting!
 fedster187 12 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: Pink floyd pulse concert best album ever
 Mystery Toad 12 Jun 2007

Roxy And Elsewhere (Zappa)
My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (Byrne/Eno)
Bartok's String Quartets (Juliard)
Overnight Sensation (Zappa)
The Yellow Shark (Zappa)
Clear Spot (Beefheart/Magic Band)
Toward The Within (Dead Can Dance)
Best Before (Crass)
Best Of Sandy Denny
etc etc etc
 Mystery Toad 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Mystery Toad:

The real "perfect" albums tend to be jazz, but I've never been a big consumer of jazz releases as admirable as they often are.
brothersoulshine 12 Jun 2007
In reply to coinneach:
>
> Where are the fillers on Revolver, Sgt Peppers or Abbey Road?

The duff tracks are:

Dr Robert
Within You Without You
Octopus's Garden

By filler I had in mind full length tracks that shouldn't have made it on to the album because they're not very good but it would have been too short without them.

Those little 10 second jobbies you're talking about are fine.
 Steve Perry 12 Jun 2007

Stone Roses first album
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Rage against the Machine - first album
Radiohead - The Bends
Radiohead - OK Computer (the first songs are good, listen)
AC/DC - Back in Black
Smashing Pumpkins - Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness
INXS - Kick
Spiritualised - Ladies and Gentleman we are Floating in Space.
Oasis - Definately Maybe

nivarna - smells like teen spirit
radiohead - the bends
reef - glow
also going to nominate the new kings of leon album (because of the times) but is probably a bit soon to be sure.
 hutchm 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Shaun L:

Talking Book, Stevie Wonder
 mickwood 12 Jun 2007

How the hell can there be so many replies to this thread and NO ONE has even mentioned

Jeff Buckley - Grace......WOW!
Verve - Urban Hymns?

OMG....almost missed....
Ocean Colour Scene - B sides, seasides and Freerides

and a couple of new one's for the pot

The Kooks - inside in/inside out
Dirty Pretty Things - Waterloo

oooh I could play this game all day!
 Tony the Blade 12 Jun 2007

It's still, after all these years...

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Deja Vu
 Andy Farnell 12 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: Pearl Jam - Ten, VS, Yield
AIC - Dirt
Soundgarden - Superunknown
TooL - Aenima, Lateralus
Rush - Moving Pictures, Permamnent Waves
Led Zep - I, II, III, IV
Metallica - MOP, RTL
FNM - Angel Dust

Andy F

Jimmy D 12 Jun 2007

Highly predictable I know, but Van Morrison's Astral Weeks is pretty much perfect I reckon.
XXXX 12 Jun 2007

When I argue for OK Computer being the greatest album of all time I often have to fight this illogical Fitter Happier discrimination. It's not a filler song, in the sense that Yellow Submarine on Revolver is. I like the way it exists to separate the two halves of the album. Seeing Radiohead tour the album, it fitted perfectly as an intro to the live set. They walked on to it and then burst into Airbag which was and still is the most mind blowing start to any live set I've seen.

One of the criteria is that the album must be more than the sum of its parts. Yet, later we have to be able to listen to each song individually? No way. An album should be more than a collection of singles and for that reason, OK Computer is definitely allowed. Fitter Happier for no other reason than it fits.

It didn't get put on to fill up time. IIRC OK Computer is an hour long. It got put on because it feels right in the context of the album.

<and relax>
 Jimmy D 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Jimmy D:

As is The Velvet Underground and Nico
Sesh 12 Jun 2007

An album I never skip any tracks on is Eric Clapton and J.J. Cale's The Road To Escondido. I wouldn't say it was the "best album", but the songs fit together perfectly, and there are no duff tracks.

I was going to second Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, but then I remembered that I do often skip tracks on that to go straight to the absolutely fantastic alternate take on Flamenco Sketches.
In reply to Eric the Red:
>
> It didn't get put on to fill up time. IIRC OK Computer is an hour long. It got put on because it feels right in the context of the album.
>

I totally agree. No way is it a filler.

johnsdowens 12 Jun 2007

JJ Cale - Really
The Stone Roses
Ian Brown - Music Of The Spheres
 PeterM 12 Jun 2007

Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins
Dust - Screaming Trees
Live and Dabgerous - Thin Lizzy

PeterM
m wilson 12 Jun 2007

BOB DYLAN
BLOOD ON THE TRACKS

perfection!
 graeme jackson 12 Jun 2007
> Those little 10 second jobbies you're talking about are fine.

in that case i'll nominate The Yes Album.

>
>
> One of the criteria is that the album must be more than the sum of its parts.

That was the OP

> Yet, later we have to be able to listen to each song individually? No way.

That was me, later

> An album should be more than a collection of singles

I agree.
I still exclude Electrelane's 'Axes' because, although I've learned not to skip "Business or Otherwise", I would never single it out. Working outside the album is not the same as "being a single"

And there are far worse songs on OK Computer than "Fitter, Happier"
>
> I still exclude Electrelane's 'Axes' because, although I've learned not to skip "Business or Otherwise", I would never single it out.

And it has a silly 7 second "song" on it.
Similarly I exclude "Rock it to the Moon" cos there's a 10 minute silent gap after the last song, and a daft acoustic ditty right at the end. Maybe if I had it on vinyl and didn't have that bit, it would be perfect!
 callum 12 Jun 2007
In reply to graeme jackson: I prefer 'Tales from Topographic Oceans' but even the worst Yes album is still sublime!

I'd also add to my list Doobie Brothers 'Sibling Rivalry'.
johnj 12 Jun 2007

it could become an endless list which is personal to an individual, for me they are timeless albums, which when you come back to, they sound as good as when you first heard them

this best ever album concept i never really did get, as music is art and has no measures such as sport does, therfore if the most people like something, that makes it the best, does that not make it the most diluted, working on the lowest common dinominater.

anyway a few imperfect gems, which i like

sum 41, all killer no filler
john coltrane, a love supreme
dinosaur jr, you're living all over me
red hot chili peppers, blood sugar sex magic
happy mondays, pills thrills and bellyaches
iron maiden, piece of mind
In reply to johnj:

OP says "this is not necessarily the 'best' album" and many of us have elaborated on this throughout the thread.
Removed User 12 Jun 2007

Ones that spring to mind are:

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits

But there must be others I've not thought of yet.
johnj 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Blue Straggler: i read the op, your point being?
In reply to johnj:

Might it have been your use of the word "imperfect"?
johnj 12 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: this is what perfection is, the little peices of imperfection, which makes some people get it so much, that it seems to them to be perfect
 coinneach 12 Jun 2007
> (In reply to coinneach)
> [...]
>
> The duff tracks are:
>
> Dr Robert
> Within You Without You
> Octopus's Garden

All subjective I suppose but three songs that any other bands of the time would have cut their right hands off for

Removed User 12 Jun 2007

Leonard Cohen's greatest hits.

I know it can't count but it's got to be one of the only greatest hits albums that truly stands out inits own right.
 toad 12 Jun 2007
Kate Bush Hounds of Love
Talking Heads Stop Making Sense (are we allowed live albums?)
Peter Gabriel PG4
Guns 'n' Roses Appetite for Destruction

Not my favourites by any stretch, but near perfect examples of the art of the 45 minute album.

All original vinyl releases - Do CDs encourage padding albums because the space is there?
XXXX 12 Jun 2007

Genuinely interested here. What songs don't you like on OK Computer?

In reply to toad:

> Kate Bush Hounds of Love

I'll second that one, and the earlier nomination of AC/DC's 'Back in black'. I'll also add

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
John Martyn - Solid Air
Camel - A live record
Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink

> All original vinyl releases - Do CDs encourage padding albums because the space is there?

Good point that, and I'd have to agree.

T.

BelleVedere 12 Jun 2007

I'm sure some one probably mentioned it already but the K&D sessions is tied together very well, and is one of my fave listens
MarkM 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

John Martyn - Solid Air:

Have to agree with this - saw him recently on his 'Solid Air' tour (where he played the whole of the album - though not 'in order') and no fillers there.

Would offer Gillian Welch's Time (The Revelator)

Mark
 Bob Hughes 12 Jun 2007

Coldcut - 90 minutes of madness.
Cymande - The Message (actually three albums on a two-disc set. Brilliant. Or do "best of" albums not qualify?)
 Andy Saxby 12 Jun 2007

I agree with The Stone Roses eponymous album falls into this category & would like to add two more:

The Smiths: The Queen is Dead
Lou Reed: New York

Andy
 Sean_J 12 Jun 2007

RX Bandits - ...and the battle begun
Thrice - Illusion of safety
 jeni222uk 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Dave Murphy:
>
>
> portisheads first one

Dummy? Great album. Also Finley Quaye - whatever happened to him?

Removed User 12 Jun 2007
In reply to jeni222uk:
> (In reply to Dave Murphy)
> [...]
>
> Also Finley Quaye - whatever happened to him?

One song was great (sun is shining?) but the album was pants.
 jeni222uk 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Removed User:

That explains that one then.

Genuinely forgotten the name but it's one in the middle that sounds like a rejected Queen b-side! It's too rawk and really doesn't fit. Disregard all my comments about Fitter Happier, it DOES work on the album, I just caught up in someone else's witterings. Is it Electioneering? I'll check tonight.

I was never that keen on Karma Police either; I know I say I don't pay much heed to lyrics normally but the lyrics on this are a bit ham-handed.

btw I own this album on vinyl and CD, you know. And I've got a clear 7" of Creep signed by the band (and a shirtpocket signed by Thom). And their set at Glasto 1997 was one of the best things ever. Just so you don't think I'm on some anti-Radiohead bandwagon!

Throwing Muses' first album
In reply to brothersoulshine: The perfect album? Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys. Perfection at its very best.
 Rampikino 12 Jun 2007

REM - Automatic For The People. Crammed full of quality tracks and flows beautifully.
 jeni222uk 12 Jun 2007

Like a clay pigeon?
 Peter Walker 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:
> "Perfection at its very best."

Arf!

Peter Walker 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Rampikino:
>
> REM - Automatic For The People. Crammed full of quality tracks and flows beautifully.

I'd say that Automatic has its own "Electioneering" in "Ignoreland".... noisy rocker that would fit perfectly on their next album, but not in amongst mostly acoustic ruminations on life and death.
In reply to jeni222uk:

Je ne comprends pas
In reply to Peter Walker: What are you arfing at?
 Peter Walker 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: The tautology, sir
In reply to Peter Walker: Thanks for noticing Peter, it was intentional.

By the way, another hoary old chestnut I know but Dark Side of the Moon is fairly perfect:p

Great thread!

My picks are:

The Sundays - 'Blind'

Iron Maiden - 'Live after Death' seminal live album and not a single duff song.

Jeff Buckley - 'Grace'
TimS 12 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: Bloc Party - Weekend in the City fulfills all of your criteria for me, but then again so does their first album Silent alarm, so I may be blinded by favouritism...
In reply to TimS:

Bloody good album that and massively underrated.
Removed User 12 Jun 2007

Hotel California must be a contender.
XXXX 12 Jun 2007

I thought you might say Karma Police as it's the most immediate! I reckon you're talking about Electioneering.

I know you aren't an anti-Radiohead chap, that's why I was interested.

ALF 12 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: There are many good albums, some very special albums and I have many favourite albums, some of which have been mentioned, HOWEVER, there is only one perfect album:

ZIggy Stardust

Nick

PS I know it's not the full name
 mickwood 12 Jun 2007

Been trying to work out which one was better

"OK Computer"
or
"Pablo Honey"

??
lloyd f 12 Jun 2007

Paul Weller's Days of Speed.
A must for any live music fan. Every track a classic.

TimS 12 Jun 2007
In reply to mickwood: The Bends.
In reply to TimS:

No, it's ok computer. The bends is a better album but contains that silly "you do it to yourself" song so fails on rule 1.
Removed User 12 Jun 2007

How about the Pogues' Rum Sodomy and the Lash?
 omerta 12 Jun 2007

Blackberry Belle - The Twilight Singers
The Smiths - The Smiths
Brown Sugar - D'Angelo
A Hundred Days Off - Underworld
A Weekend In The City - Bloc Party
Ride The Tiger - Yo La Tengo
Oscar Peterson 75th Birthday Celebration (all 3 discs!) - OP
 PeterM 12 Jun 2007
In reply to sarah79:

> Blackberry Belle - The Twilight Singers

A most excellent choice.

PeterM

Dave Murphy 12 Jun 2007

bat outa hell

meatloaf
 omerta 12 Jun 2007
In reply to PeterM:

Greg Dulli is a verrry talented guy. I love The Whigs too.......in fact, 1965 - The Afghan Whigs; classic album
 PeterM 12 Jun 2007
In reply to sarah79:

Yep, hugely talented. Managed to catch the Whigs at a small venue in Edinburgh in the late 90's but have failed miserably to catch the Twilight Singers live. Would love to see No.9 live with Mark Lanegan (who's also worth listening to.) 'Gentlemen' is probably my pick of the Whigs' albums.

PeterM
 omerta 12 Jun 2007
In reply to PeterM:

I don't think they tour very much, but would love to see them live, along with The Whigs - what were they like live?
samantha.t 12 Jun 2007
Dark side of the moon, Pink Floyd
TimS 12 Jun 2007
> (In reply to TimS)
>
> No, it's ok computer. The bends is a better album but contains that silly "you do it to yourself" song so fails on rule 1.

I contest the failure of that song - i believe your view is obfuscated by the recent rubbish cover and it's radio air play - the original is excellent
soveda@work 12 Jun 2007
> (In reply to TimS)
>
> No, it's ok computer. The bends is a better album but contains that silly "you do it to yourself" song so fails on rule 1.

That's not filler or weak!

OK computer is so dull and apart from paranoid android and no surprises it fails to keep my attention. Kid A on the otherhand is a masterpiece but not a perfect album.

White light white heat - The Velvet Underground
Throwing Muses (eponymous first album)
Rage against the Machine (eponymous)
A singsong and a scrap - Chumbawamba
If you're feeling sinister - Bella and Sebastian
The Dirty Boogie - Brian Setser Orchestra

Would be my votes.

Probably others but those are the albums I can always listen to the whole of without a break.

Ade
In reply to TimS:
> i believe your view is obfuscated by the recent rubbish cover and it's radio air play

can't say that i was aware of the existance of a cover
 PeterM 12 Jun 2007
In reply to sarah79:

The Twilight Singers played T in the park and I think T on the Fringe last year, but they always sell out so fast. As for the Whigs live...they were fantastic. To this day it is one of the best gigs I've ever been to, especially for that smiley, wish-it-wouldn't-stop feeling,(sad or what!).

PeterM
TimS 12 Jun 2007
http://www.rapsterrecords.com/MarkRonson/

i only think it's rubbish in relation to the original, I think it stands up quite nicely if you forget what it's based on.
 omerta 12 Jun 2007
In reply to PeterM:
> (In reply to sarah79)
>
> especially for that smiley, wish-it-wouldn't-stop feeling,(sad or what!).
>
> PeterM

Not at all! I get that all the time when I listen to 'Feathers'
 IainSunderland 12 Jun 2007

Opeth "Blackwater Park".

Not an album I listen to all that frequently, but every time I put it on I am blown away. The overall atmosphere of the piece is consistent and clear. The musicianship and writing are amazing with some really epic structures. Excellent balance of the necessary clean/harsh juxtaposition of their particular style. Not a duffer in sight.

Not ideal for all occassions, but still a perfect album.

omerta 12 Jun 2007

Tourist by St Germain
 The Crow 12 Jun 2007

Ogden's Nut Gone Flake? Definitely satisfies 3. the Faces tracks are pretty much all good, Sir Stanley' ramblings are fillers but they're essential to the album. Perhaps not perfect?

Bridge Over Troubled Water has to be a contender though...

S Andrew 12 Jun 2007

Ocean Rain

Electric Ladyland

Dark Side of The Moon

Zeppelin III

The Space Ritual

What's Going On

Misplaced Childhood
 Adam W. 12 Jun 2007
In reply to The Crow:

Primal Scream: Screamadelica
Johnny Cash: Live at San Quentin
Massive Attack: Blue Lines

Fine Young Cannibals: Raw and the Cooked
 Squirrel Bill 12 Jun 2007
Well the perfect album is one you can listen to and really enjoy.
 Spangle12 12 Jun 2007
Sigur Rós - Agaetis Byrjun
Perfect!

Reign in Blood - Slayer.

10 tracks 28 minutes every song a killer.

Leftfield - Leftism
 beermonkey 12 Jun 2007

I'm going to throw in Gorillaz, Demon Days, massive collection of artists and talent, some great and very different songs that all flow together into a great album. And Dennis Hopper narrating!
brothersoulshine 13 Jun 2007
In reply to TimS:
> (In reply to brothersoulshine) Bloc Party - Weekend in the City

Thanks for that. I'd never even heard of them before. I've been listening to nothing else for the past few days.
OP Anonymous 14 Jun 2007

John Coltrane : A Love Supreme.

Gothic Voices : A Feather On The Breath Of God.

King Crimson : Discipline.

Cosmic John.
Serpico 15 Jun 2007
In reply to andy farnell:
I'm surprised you didn't mention QOTSA -Songs For The Deaf.
How about:
Van Halen - 1
Paul Weller -Paul Weller
Weezer - Green Album
FNM -King For A Day
And my favourite:
Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions
tension 15 Jun 2007

The Eels - Beautiful freak album!!!!!
 BelleVedere 15 Jun 2007
In reply to Conquistador of the usless:
>
> Leftfield - Leftism

Indeed

I also like to add in Public Enemy - it takes a nation of millions
and
AiM - Cold water music
to my original suggestion of K&D sessions.

I'd also stick in the nominations pot, John Peels Fabric session
 sandywilson 15 Jun 2007

The Bends - Radiohead
 climber123 19 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: Captain Beefheart and his magic Band --- 'Trout Mask Replica'
brothersoulshine 19 Jun 2007
In reply to climber123:

nahh...
 DougG 19 Jun 2007

Buenos Hermanos by Ibrahim Ferrer
 Rob Exile Ward 19 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: Desire, Bob Dylan. Ticks every box.
 Ian Jones 28 Jun 2007
The DOORS by The DOORS
Strange days by The DOORS
Rum, Sodomy and The Lash by The Pogues
This Is The Sea by the Waterboys
Hot Rats by Frank Zappa
Who's Next by The Who
Sticky Fingers by The Rolling Stones
Get Yer Yas Yas Out by The Rolling Stones
Abbey Road by The Beatles
Thrills, Spills 'n' Bellyaches by The Happy Mondays
Beggars Banquet by The Rolling Stones
Come Taste The Band by Deep Purple (Mk 4)
Stormbringer by Deep Purple (Mk 3)
brothersoulshine 28 Jun 2007
In reply to The Purple Pimpernel:

I don't think you read the question properly.
 Dale Berry 28 Jun 2007

Radiohead The Bends
Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dreams

Maybe also JJ72 and MatchBox 20
 icnoble 28 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: Rhumours: Fleetwood Mac
 The Pylon King 28 Jun 2007

Closer - Joy Division
topout123 28 Jun 2007
AC/DC's 'Back in Black'. It had to be a great album to follow the death of the late great Bon Scott, and it worked. A rock classic.
 Bulls Crack 28 Jun 2007
In reply to icnoble:
> (In reply to brothersoulshine) Rhumours: Fleetwood Mac

Not sure I know that one.
 John Lewis 28 Jun 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine: Just a few

Obviously REM Automatic for the People,
U2 Rattle & Hum plus others

But two that have always been perfect albumbs for me

Marillion Misplaced Childhood and Fugazi both have to be listened to begining to end as they take you on a journey
 DougG 28 Jun 2007

Nádurra by Capercaillie would be my current suggestion.
Slugain Howff 28 Jun 2007

Waterboys - Fishermans Blues. Can still bring a tear.
 DougG 28 Jun 2007
In reply to Slugain Howff:

Has that got You saw the whole of Dunoon on it?
 pigeonjim 28 Jun 2007
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
NIN - Downward spiral
Aphex Twin - Richard D James
Slugain Howff 28 Jun 2007
In reply to DougG:

Thankfully no.
 midgelt 02 Jul 2007

'attack of the grey lantern' by Mansun
 Fredt 02 Jul 2007

Graceland - Paul Simon
Speaking in Tongues - Talking Heads
The Who Live at Leeds.
From The Cradle - Eric Clapton
 BrianT 02 Jul 2007
Clear Spot or Lick My Decals of Baby, by Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band.
I'd have said Tim Buckley's 'Starsailor' too but that iffy french song blows it. Otherwise flawless though.
Bitches Brew or Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
Locust Abortion Technician - Butthole Surfers

Blue Straggler 02 Jul 2007
> The perfect album:
>
> 1 - is not allowed to have any duff tracks or fillers on it, or even any that appear a little weak.
> 2 - excites you with the sheer brimming talent of all that were involved in its production.
> 3 - creates a unique, and consistent vision and is more than the sum of its parts.
> 4 - like a good meal, it leaves you wanting more.

Worth bumping these criteria from the OP.

Fulfilling 2, 3 and 4 in spades, is the album whose very mention seems to anger a few of those strange people who follow and remember my posts
Yes, it's Le Grand Music Hall d'Israel by Troupe Officielle de L'Etat d'Israel.
The musicianship and ambience is astonishing, the variety on offer is wonderful, it all sounds uplifting and inspiring and, for me at least, it seems unique.
I might use this album as my main justification to buy some gizmo to digitise my music, as I'd hate to wear out the vinyl - I can't find any trace of the existence of this album outside my own house, so it's pretty irreplaceable.

Can't say whether it has any "duff" or filler tracks, as I tend to just put it on and let it do its stuff, and it is possible that I may be a bit forgiving of any weaker songs on there (oh irony, I think a weaker one has just started as I typed that!)
brothersoulshine 02 Jul 2007
In reply to BrianT:
>
> Locust Abortion Technician - Butthole Surfers

Gosh, do you know, I think you're right about that. I'd never thought of it before.
 Blue Straggler 02 Jul 2007
>
>
> Can't say whether it has any "duff" or filler tracks, as I tend to just put it on and let it do its stuff, and it is possible that I may be a bit forgiving of any weaker songs on there (oh irony, I think a weaker one has just started as I typed that!)

Bollocks, I've now concluded that there is a duff SECTION in the middle
brothersoulshine 02 Jul 2007

Oh sorry, I made you think about it too much
 mattsccm 03 Jul 2007
"The Ramones" by guess who.
 mike123 03 Jul 2007
blue afternoon - tim buckley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...