UKC

Compton Verney - Warwickshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian Archer 02 Jul 2007
the access database in 04' says no climbing - anyone have any upto date info?
 BennyBoy 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Ian Archer: Apparently if you send a letter requesting permission to climb there you may well get it. My friend and me asked the staff and they gave us the contact details for the guy in charge but we didn't follow it up. The boulder looks very loose in places!
 Matt Rees 02 Jul 2007
In reply to BennyBoy:

My cousin got thrown off of it by a securuty guard quite recently, so I'd say it was probably closed.
 Fidget 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Ian Archer:

I wrote the update in 2004, gives you the address of the guy to write to. Can't say if it's still accurate, but I would expect so. Might be best to just call them? http://www.comptonverney.org.uk/?page=home
 Andy Fielding 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Ian Archer:
It's about 4 miles from my house. I'll call in at the weekend and see what the situation is.
OP Ian Archer 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Andy Fielding:
Thats good of you - thanks.
O Mighty Tim 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Andy Fielding: Ditto. Where are you?

TTG
loopyone 03 Jul 2007
In reply to O Mighty Tim: Ditto also. (plus a few extra) Where are you?
 Matt Rees 03 Jul 2007

Andy Fielding!

How are you mate?
O Mighty Tim 03 Jul 2007
In reply to tatty112: Bishops Itchington these days, with Vlad n Joe the Grey...

Not much vertical around here, apart from a tiny bit up on Burton Dassett!
 Andy Fielding 03 Jul 2007
In reply to O Mighty Tim:

Wellesbourne
 Andy Fielding 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Matt Rees:

Very well thanks. I've replied to your email.
loopyone 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Andy Fielding: Moreton in marsh............says it all
 granticus 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Ian Archer:
Heh... That's my boulder!!! I was there at the opening...I used to climb on that thing regularly had some good problems, including a full low girdle traverse 'twas pretty hard as I remember! Used to live 5 mins away but moved South West in summer 2004... They asked people to stop climbing on it winter before that and eventually fenced the boulder off. Before that we had quite a good relationship with the security guard who turned a blind eye! The reason they stopped bouldering on it is because water got into the boulder, then it got cold and froze and then big lumps started falling off..That's when it was fenced off through fear of litigation! Is it still there??? I gather the gallery is open and all the refurbishments to the building are done. That was the nearest thing to 'real' bouldering we had in Warks.
 granticus 04 Jul 2007
Harbury boy me... Which would make anyone from Bishops Itch my sworn enemy. lol
 Andy Fielding 08 Jul 2007
In reply to Ian Archer:

Ian, I called in today and the situation is this.

The boulder is not fenced off but there is a sign saying "Please Do Not Climb". Nevertheless I asked about climbing on it and was given the following contact details.

Cranmer Webb - Operations Manager
Compton Verney
Warwickshire
CV35 9HZ
Tel: 01926 645500
Email: cvht@comptonverney.org.uk

I wasn't given a definative yes or no but I guess granting permission would involve signing some kind of waver should you come to grief whilst climbing on it.

I hadn't been before and to be honest I expected more. It's relatively small and as BennyBoy said there are bits breaking off it. When I looked today there were two such fresh looking pieces laying on the ground under the over hanging section.

Hope that helps.
 CJD 08 Jul 2007

it's primarily been placed there as an artwork though! I know Johnny Dawes set some problems on it but I'm not sure that it was ever intended as a major bouldering site.

as a piece of art it's by John Frankland, iirc.
 Andy Fielding 08 Jul 2007
In reply to CJD:

But is it art, or is it just a piece of crumbling limestone?
 CJD 08 Jul 2007

argh! I don't know! bit of both?

hey! I've had an idea! let's bolt statues! or reinterpret them as boulder problems! I wonder if you could get a sit start on the Venus de Milo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...