UKC

NEW REVIEW: Mont Blanc Range - What can I climb first?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 20 Jul 2007
".........the French side of the range is the most popular climbing spot of the Alps, and Chamonix the self-proclaimed European capital of mountaineering.

Every year, many thousands of beginners at the alpine climbing game come here, often clueless, and the first question they may ask themselves, is “What can I climb first?”

The obvious answer is often to attempt the Big One itself (sometimes with dire consequences), or to crowd the few well known, ultra-frequented classics like the Cosmiques Ridge or the Petit Aiguille Verte. “The Mont Blanc Range” - a translation of what was originally an entry in the “Montagne Evasion” French series, published by Glenat - attempts to move away some of this excessive traffic towards a wider choice of targets."

Writes Luca Signorelli in a review of Mont Blanc Range - Classic Snow, Ice and Mixed Climbs

Read it here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=479
 Doug 20 Jul 2007
Maybe for Luca, what's the title of the French guide ? and for anyone who can read both languages which is the 'better' guidebook ?
In reply to Doug:
> Maybe for Luca, what's the title of the French guide ? and for anyone who can read both languages which is the 'better' guidebook ?

They're very similar, but the British editions add some touch trying to state clearly that these routes need some kind of experience to be negotiated safely.

Normally I always suggest to read books in their original language, but it this case the Brit editions will do excellently.

Rather interested in other comments to the review (or the book, or the routes)
In reply to Doug:
> Maybe for Luca, what's the title of the French guide ?

Ooops, didn't notice the first question:

"Alpinisme Plaisir Dans Le Massif du Mt. Blanc"
 Doug 20 Jul 2007
In reply to Luca Signorelli: Many thanks

Will we see you in Cogne next week ?
In reply to Doug:
> (In reply to Luca Signorelli) Many thanks
>
> Will we see you in Cogne next week ?

Possibly, as I'll be passing in the area next Saturday or Sunday, maybe even Friday evening (plenty of things to do next weekend). I'll get in touch!

BTW - if you're interested in books similars to the one reviewed, the authors, Jean Louis Laroche and Florence Lelong, have written other two MB related selection of routes:

"Sommets du Mont Blanc" - that's rather similar to the book I reviewed, basically 57 route from F to D, including, lo and behold, 4 routes on the Italian side and 4 on Switzerland!

and

"Ascensions au Pays du Mont Blanc" - another sampler of routes from AD to TD, 27 on MB (1 in Italy and one in Switzerland, the rest in France) and 10 >around< MB, 6 in France, 2 in Italy and 2 in Switzerland.

These book share most of qualities and defects of the one I reviewed, presentation is excellent, detail more than adequate, great picturwes, etc, but grading could be used with a pinch of salt, the French focus is debatable, and the somehow forced happy go lucky tone after a while goes on my nerves. But maybe is just me!

Both books (published by Glenat) are widely available in Cham and VdA, so you may interested in taking a look.

Null 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Luca Signorelli:
> (In reply to Doug)
> [...]

> Rather interested in other comments to the review (or the book, or the routes)

Bravo, Luca!

It's great to read a book review from somebody who actually knows what he/she is talking about.

Grazie

In reply to Gavin Taylor:
> (In reply to Luca Signorelli)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> Bravo, Luca!
>
> It's great to read a book review from somebody who actually knows what he/she is talking about.

Thanks Gavin, but I've just discovered a serious typo (my fault):

"the French Normal routes are simply more approachable and a better choice for someone who has some serious previous experience (or is not being guided)."

should be of course read as

"the French Normal routes are simply more approachable and a better choice for someone who has NOT some serious previous experience (or is not being guided)."

Thanks for your comment!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...