UKC

NEWS: Climbers Protest About Closure Of the School Room

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 24 Jul 2007
Sheffield climber and film maker Richard Heap, said: "The climbing facility, is one of the best in the country and is internationally renowned as producing some of the best climbers in the world.

I've climbed all over the world including in the Himalayas and on the big walls of Yosemite, USA, but I always come back to the School Room to train. It's a completely unique training facility with nowhere better to get strong. Closing it down would be sacrilege - equivalent to Sheffield losing Brendan Ingle's boxing gym."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Fume Troll 24 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I've never heard of Brendan Ingle's boxing gym.

Cheers,

FT.
 seagull 24 Jul 2007
In reply to Fume Troll:

Most people in Sheffield will have though and it's a local newspaper article which is why Rich will have referenced it. I would have thought.
 Simon 31 Jul 2007
In reply to seagull:

The Council has agreed not to sell the Building now & negotiate ....

Sheffield Star - 28th July

U-turn over plans to sell off community centre

By Polly Rippon

SHEFFIELD Council has made a U-turn over plans to sell a community centre in a listed building - after the scheme was opposed by people who said they hadn't been consulted.
Following a protest the Grade II listed Heeley Bank Community Centre, home to artists’ studios and an internationally-acclaimed rock-climbing training facility, has been taken off the market.

The planned sale had been reported in The Star this week.

Sheffield Council leader Coun Jan Wilson said the centre was one of two buildings the authority had wanted to dispose of due to their deteriorating condition. The pair were to be replaced with one alternative building.

But she told The Star the council is willing to reconsider.

"Users have come back and said we don't want you to dispose of it,” she said. “We have taken notice and taken the building off the market so we can talk to users about its future."

Campaigners against the closure put up a huge banner on the building and signed a petition to save the 130-year-old former school.

They say they were not consulted about the plans and only found out about the sale of the building when they were served with notices to leave.

Climber Seb Grieveo f the Save Heeley Bank Centre campaign said: “We have a meeting with council represen-tatives next week so we will see what happens then. We are very pleased they have taken it off the market.”

I didn't know Seb was Spanish!!

;0)

Si
 Paul B 31 Jul 2007
In reply to Simon: Thanks for posting that Si, things were trickling through but weren't overly clear...
 Simon 31 Jul 2007
In reply to Paul B:
> (In reply to Simon) Thanks for posting that Si, things were trickling through but weren't overly clear...

No worries - I got the paper on saturday running about with the hard rock team - & as our staff are planning to strike & were front page headlines ...!!!

saw it nice to see some good news for once!!

;0)

si
 Paul B 31 Jul 2007
In reply to Simon: yeah definately the mood certainly changed somewhat during mondays session on hearing the news...(thankfully it also means i may have a little longer for my comeback, which removes a bit of pressure)
 Simon 31 Jul 2007
In reply to Paul B:
> (In reply to Simon) yeah definately the mood certainly changed somewhat during mondays session on hearing the news...(thankfully it also means i may have a little longer for my comeback, which removes a bit of pressure)

Get off here then & cranking young Jedi!!

;0)
 Paul B 31 Jul 2007
In reply to Simon: 1 day on, 1 day off, its the future (actually its probably more like the past). Today is an off.
TimS 31 Jul 2007
In reply to Simon: Great news, hope they decide to keep it open!
 Simon 31 Jul 2007
In reply to TimS:

Fingers X'd - although I can't pull on any of them probs - its a great trainning place for the bredrin...

Si

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...