UKC

NEWS: Dave MacLeod completes 8c+ in Glen Nevis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave C 04 Aug 2007
I see Mr MacLeod has finished up a ten year project up in Glen Nevis, well done that man!

http://davemacleod.blogspot.com/2007/08/ring-of-steall-project-sent.html
 Simon 04 Aug 2007
In reply to Dave C:

He's a Machine. What can't the bloke do?!!

I know - next project - make butties for the boys in the Hard Rock Team in Cheyrl when Sams wanging her round hairpin corners - thats harder than any E11 or 8c+ !

;0)

Si
 Michael Ryan 04 Aug 2007
In reply to Dave C:

Cheers Dave.

I particularly like this comment, "Having completed this route, if I had to give up climbing tomorrow due to some disaster, I’d be satisfied with my effort."

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 pigeonjim 04 Aug 2007
In reply to Dave C:
And his mate is Niall doing well too

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=255780&v=1#3769214

These lads are getting better all the time it seems

Well done to the pair of them
In reply to Simon:

"He's a Machine. What can't the bloke do?!! "

Lead Indian Face?
 pigeonjim 04 Aug 2007
In reply to notbadforafatlad:
He prob could He certainly found the climbing within his limit He just didnt like the route Being hard doesnt make a route great but looking at some guide books you would not believe that because some of them give any thing above a certain grade 3*!!! Also we are all individuals and we like different things in a route so you may hate my favorite routes
banned profile 74 04 Aug 2007
In reply to pigeonjim: nah he will fake a cramp again so he doesnt have to go on a proper death route rather than just a scary route thats hard
 pigeonjim 04 Aug 2007
In reply to beastofackworth:
Hehe might be true but he trains like a machine and is doing well climbing the sort of very hard routes that suit him
In reply to pigeonjim: I agree wholeheartedly that we all have routes and styles of climbing which we like or dislike. However, if I had lead E1 (after toproping) then toproped Sunset Slab, VS but pulled out of leading it because it was not my preferred style of route my friends would call me a Mary and I would never be allowed to forget it. Why is it not the same for Dave Mac?
 pigeonjim 04 Aug 2007
HAHA so true id get slagged till i died for backing out of that too Never let it down
The top roping thing is true as well Why ok for top climbers to headpoint but not punters like me?
 robin mueller 04 Aug 2007
> if I had lead E1 (after toproping) then toproped Sunset Slab, VS but pulled out of leading it because it was not my preferred style of route my friends would call me a Mary and I would never be allowed to forget it.

Who are you climbing for? Yourself or your mates?
In reply to Dave C: Ring of Steall project? Is Dave a closet hillwalker?
In reply to robin mueller:
> (In reply to notbadforafatlad)
> [...]
>
> Who are you climbing for? Yourself or your mates?

its called peer pressure,have you never had any friendly competition with your climbing mates?
OP Dave C 04 Aug 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I think it's kind of amusing that a UK climbing website gets this news from someone in Australia who actually was alerted to it by a link to Dave Macleod's blog on an Australian website!
 Michael Ryan 04 Aug 2007
In reply to Dave C:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) I think it's kind of amusing that a UK climbing website gets this news from someone in Australia who actually was alerted to it by a link to Dave Macleod's blog on an Australian website!

That's how it is these days Dave. Everyone is a news reporter.
 Stuart S 04 Aug 2007
> (In reply to pigeonjim) nah he will fake a cramp again so he doesnt have to go on a proper death route rather than just a scary route thats hard

So unless he's prepared to risk death, he doesn't deserve any respect no matter how hard he climbs? What a load of macho bullshit.
 Michael Ryan 04 Aug 2007
In reply to Stuart S:
> (In reply to beastofackworth)
> [...]
>
> So unless he's prepared to risk death, he doesn't deserve any respect no matter how hard he climbs? What a load of macho bullshit.

Remember Stuart, the beastofackworth says on his profile, " been climbing for 11 years and i only boulder now."

Obviously not prepared to risk death or has an understanding of falling from great heights onto solid ground.....unless "the beast' has bouldered around Bishop of course.

M

In reply to Stuart S:
> (In reply to beastofackworth)
> [...]
>
> So unless he's prepared to risk death, he doesn't deserve any respect no matter how hard he climbs? What a load of macho bullshit.

hahahaha nope nothing like that,he top roped it first then said it wasnt his style of climb and not a good route and he had cramp in his feet ect,struck me as a bit of an excuse.

In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to Stuart S)
> [...]
>
> Remember Stuart, the beastofackworth says on his profile, " been climbing for 11 years and i only boulder now."
>
> Obviously not prepared to risk death or has an understanding of falling from great heights onto solid ground.....unless "the beast' has bouldered around Bishop of course.
>
> M

nah seeing your mate fall about 600 foot to his death and having to climb down to recover the body while waiting for mountain rescue kinda puts you off dangerous stuff

Michael Ryan 04 Aug 2007
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> [...]
>
> nah seeing your mate fall about 600 foot to his death and having to climb down to recover the body while waiting for mountain rescue kinda puts you off dangerous stuff

In that case you will understand why Dave MacLeod made the decision he did.

Before you get grade-ist on me, consider that most high 'E' grades are bullshit.

In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: im far from gradeist but if i went on indian face and though sack that its death and im not prepared to put myself in that situation then thats what i would tell people.
 Michael Ryan 04 Aug 2007
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) im far from gradeist but if i went on indian face and though sack that its death and im not prepared to put myself in that situation then thats what i would tell people.

I think that what is Mr. MacLeod said. He wasn't prepared to take the risk, for the reasons given on his blog.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007: Thoughts about Indian Face.

http://davemacleod.blogspot.com/2007/06/thoughts-about-indian-face.html
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
This was the initial blog entry. The one posted by Mick Ryan is in response to a mail from Neil Gresham and posts in this forum (I think).

http://davemacleod.blogspot.com/2007/06/e9-but-no-major-traumas.html
 Jesus Christ 04 Aug 2007
In reply to notbadforafatlad: hear hear!!
In reply to Jesus Christ: it was the original blog comments i was refering too not the new one mick
 Fiend 05 Aug 2007
In reply to various:

Dear God not the IF fiasco again. I scarcely believe this was worth any debate the first time around let alone again.

Climber looks at dangerous route. Climber decides route is not in his prefered style and is too dangerous for him, and explains why online. Internet explodes in furore....??

Anyway, good effort Dave on another route, nicely written up too. He really needs to start rattling off some F9s though!!
 TobyA 05 Aug 2007
> However, if I had lead E1 (after toproping) then toproped Sunset Slab, VS but pulled out of leading it because it was not my preferred style of route

Err... do you know me?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...