UKC

NEWS: Hard Rock Challenge -1 More Scottish Route, Then South

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 08 Aug 2007
Two days ago it was "Not Really Going to Plan," now they are having a celebratory curry before their last route in Scotland, The Bat on Ben Nevis.

Rich Mayfield and Mark Stevenson have completed 44 routes out of Ken Wilson's Hard Rock book and have 16 route to do in 10 days, these routes being the...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Simon 08 Aug 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Keep going team - its bound to be the hardest part of the trip & I can't imagine how its been for you all - I had the easiest leg it seems and I was shattered after that!

The Challenge is such an awesome event & I don't think it will sink in until the Party & even well beyond that -

In the meantime - dig deep and push on - just think of the Cornwall leg where its all ice cream & sun kissed granite...

Go team!!

;0)

Si
OP Michael Ryan 08 Aug 2007
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
>
> Keep going team - its bound to be the hardest part of the trip & I can't imagine how its been for you all - I had the easiest leg it seems and I was shattered after that!
>
> The Challenge is such an awesome event & I don't think it will sink in until the Party & even well beyond that -
>
> In the meantime - dig deep and push on - just think of the Cornwall leg where its all ice cream & sun kissed granite...
>
> Go team!!
>
> ;0)
>
>
> Si

Did you quote all that verbiage from some motivational 'how to win friends and influence people and make a stack of ££££££££" book.

Or did you think it up yourself ?

Mick
 Norrie Muir 08 Aug 2007
> (In reply to Simon)

> Did you quote all that verbiage from some motivational 'how to win friends and influence people and make a stack of ££££££££" book.
>
I hope you are not imlying he sounds like a Cheerleader. Anyway the boys are doing fine, after The Bat it is all downhill.
 Simon 08 Aug 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> [...]
>
> [...]
> I hope you are not imlying he sounds like a Cheerleader. Anyway the boys are doing fine, after The Bat it is all downhill.

The peak leg was a rollercoaster - and so just giving big up to the team - I can't even begin to understand 9 miles to a crag to climb it & not be able to!!

The cheerleaders can be arranged although - Mick have you ever seen me in skirt?

Ask Sutty - I carry it off alright by all accounts at his birthday party!

si
 Mark Stevenson 09 Aug 2007
In reply to Simon:

Hi,

Firstly I have to say how proud I am of the boys. No complaining and lots of enthusiasm despite the horrible conditions they've been climbing in most of the time.

Well the boys set off to climb the bat at half six this morning in glorious sunshine! They were both up and out in record time ... It's amazing what a couple of days of sunshine can do.

Sam has also wandered off to catch some footage of the boys taking a very excitable tufa with her. I've been left with cheryl to smile sweetly at anyone who comes near me and attempt to extract more donations.

I'm hoping that they will all be back at about 12 then the plan is back down to wales via liverpool.

Sam is doing a great job of getting us places and deserves a medal for all the hard work that she's put into this venture.

Anyway, a huge thank you to everyone who has made a donation so far. The rest of you please consider giving something to mountain rescue via the hard rock website!

Thank you

Panda
Aka cook, baker, kicker of people who don't want to climb in the rain and adder up of the cost of this trip to the guys! What a way to spend the summer holidays.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Aug 2007

Well done guys, you have sure showed some staying power.
Good luck with the last few - don't worry about Great Wall - its only E3!
Also a hint for Slanting Slab, carry a good length stick up then you can clip the peg on the lip from the ground!

Stay with it,

Chris
OP Michael Ryan 09 Aug 2007
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Good luck with the last few - don't worry about Great Wall - its only E3!

Grade obsessed, Craggs!
 Mark Stevenson 09 Aug 2007
Latest update:

Heading south past Loch Lommond in the sunshine after climbing The Bat in great weather this morning. The ascent was made in 'original' style with me doing a surprise 'Bat' impersonation thanks to the crux corner still being slightly wet. Carn Dearg is a great cliff and I'm sure we'll be back for Torro and Titan's Wall.

Anyway, back to Wales and fingers crossed that Cloggy is dry.

Mark via mobile phone
 Simon 09 Aug 2007
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Go Mark - Go Mark..!

Si in Cheerleaders uniform - Mick likes that image...

;0)
 Simon 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Mark - get them last routes in Wales ticked off asap - as your in for crap weather this (not that its ever stopped you lol!)

Get on down to Cornwall and put your feet up with an Ice Cream or two!

Hopefully see you at the Party!!

Cheers

Si
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 12 Aug 2007

I'm not grade obsessed, just giving a bit of moral support!

I'll be interested to know what grade they thought it was?

Chris
OP Michael Ryan 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Chris Craggs:
>
> I'm not grade obsessed,

Yes you are. All Peakies are.

> just giving a bit of moral support!

Dig deep into that pocket.

> I'll be interested to know what grade they thought it was?

Told ya Chris, obsessed.
Sam M 12 Aug 2007

check blog!

Sam
 Caralynh 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Thank fk for that
Nice one!!
 littleduck 13 Aug 2007
In reply to Caralynr:
Which routes left to go now?
They must be nearly there!
Sam M 16 Aug 2007
In reply to littleduck:

ONLY ONE LEFT!!!!!!

can't believe it...

Time to put your money where mouth is folks!
 Simon 16 Aug 2007
In reply to Sam M:
> (In reply to littleduck)
>
> ONLY ONE LEFT!!!!!!
>
> can't believe it...
>
>

Nor me - I should have realised that the boys are slightly Mad and would climb nearly everything in the rain - thats squaddies for ya!

Well done team and I guess the celebrations will make it all sink in just what has been achieved - your all even bigger stars than before!!!

whoo hoo!

;0)

Si
 littleduck 16 Aug 2007
In reply to Simon: well done!!!!

will be on plane tomorrow so won´t get update til tomorrow night by which time you will all be partying!!!!!

so happy for you all!!!

sarah
 Simon 16 Aug 2007
In reply to littleduck:

Effort you guys as well -

Can't wait for September & falling of blanca crimestone into the Med - its keeping me going through the wet days & boring office mundanity!

;0)

Si
 sutty 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Simon:

Phoned Sam just before lunch and the lads are on the last route, climbing in sunshine for a change. I think there will soon be an update to say mission accomplished.
Slugain Howff 17 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty:

Good effort. The watershed must have been the transportation along Loch Muick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...