UKC

NEWS: Hard Rock Challenge - 9 routes left to do

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 12 Aug 2007
Mark Stevenson and Rich Mayfield have nine routes left to do.

Sam Mayfield reports on Day 30 of the Hard Rock Challenge.

"The Grooves - tick
Great Wall - tick
Vember - tick

Boys on the way back down (in the rain) what a great day!

I really did not think we would get this far and am so happy for them both.

So whats left?"

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Simon 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Terrible weather forecast from Tues onwards - so best get the rest of Wales ticked today & tomorrow chaps!!

si
Sam M 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Simon:

We know chuck, we should be finished here and then down south.

Sam x x
 SteveSBlake 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Sam M:

The guys are doing great stuff Sam. I sent Mark an email he may not have got. Please give them my regards and a metaphorical pat on the back for a great effort.

Best,

Steve
 sutty 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Sam, tried to mail you last night but got the on tour reply and did not want to phone so mailed V12 with message.

That is, when did the lads do The Groove, Llec Ddu in the Carnedds? Has it slipped your minds, pity to maybe put a dampener on things but you will feel reet pissed off if you forget a route by a simple mistake.

Good luck, weather forecast on countryfile is crap till Wednesday with gales and lots of rain but improving Wednesday just enough to snatch victory. good luck.
Sam M 12 Aug 2007
In reply to SteveSBlake:

Will do Steve, I am just off to find a launderette in Bangor, how my life has got exciting!" but better that sitting up at Cloggy again!

Sam x
Sam M 12 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty:

They did that on the morning of the 21st day, before they did The Big Groove on Gogarth. Sorry if the blog does not say that.

Sam x
Sam M 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Sam M:

I just checked the blog and I think I might have got the name wrong and the spelling of the place!

Sam :0)
 ray 12 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty: look at the blog, it was on day 22.
Stephen Reid 12 Aug 2007

r/e your news report Mick: Cenotaph Wall ?????!
 Simon 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Good good, I can't belive you really are going to make me eat my words!!

ha ha! - keep going!!

Si
 sutty 12 Aug 2007
In reply to ray:

Found it, thought it was in the second Welsh visit so all is well, and on course for a BIG celebration, and dry clothes for over 24 hours at the end.
 Bob 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Brilliant effort so far! Just hope that you get the weather for the last few.

Once the boys get their breaths back, one question - how did they do the top (aid) pitch of The Scoop? I was under the impression that the bolt that Doug Scott placed was in very poor condition if it was even still there.

boB
OP Michael Ryan 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Stephen Reid:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> r/e your news report Mick: Cenotaph Wall ?????!

Ta Stephen.

Stephen Reid 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Bob:

>
> how did they do the top (aid) pitch of The Scoop? I was under the impression that the bolt that Doug Scott placed was in very poor condition if it was even still there.

They used a Clipstick to bypass it!

Panda :o) 12 Aug 2007

Llanberris and the pass are hot and sunny ... guess where the only black cloud is sitting?

Tiny little smiles may be sneaking out every now and then as the end really does appear to be in sight, though I've never known Mark to be so quiet and shattered ... don't know how on earth he's going to get back to work on Monday morning!

Just want to echo what Sam said earlier, I'm so proud of both of them, it's not nice to be constantly wet and having to climb when the conditions are minging!

Thanks again for all the donations, if you haven't donated then please do, even better why don't you come to the party? Sounds like Keith is organising a great one!

Enjoy the sun if you have it

Panda
Sam M 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Simon:

Maybe not!

Check the lastest Blog entry!

Its not looking good at the moment, they cant get up Slanting Slabs and the dry days are running out!

Sam :0(
 Caralynh 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Fkn hell, so near and still plagued by the weather
What's your deadline? Midnight of the last day? Have you got headtorches / floodlights on standby for the last few routes??
Strangely, despite the current situation, I have faith that they'll do it. I didn't think it would happen when you started due to weather in Scotland, but it will all come together OK now I'm sure.
Fingers crossed for them today
Sam M 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Caralynr:

We need a miracle I think, if I am worried then its bad!

They cant get up the rock on Slating to try to dry it out, I suggested a load of towels stuffed in the water from above, but the boys reckon you cant get down from the top!

Any suggestions anyone?

Sam
 Caralynh 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Mad dash down South then back to Wales? Like you did in Scotland? OK so it may mean you don't finish where you want to, but it could mean the challenge being completed?
Sam M 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Caralynr:

Maybe! but we have to be a Berryhead on Friday as too many press commitments, boats, TV etc etc

Lastest news! they are back on it and Mark has moved past the bit that stopped them before!

Fingers crossed!
 Bob 12 Aug 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Here's hoping...

I always thought that the stoppers would be: The Scoop, Shibboleth and Slanting Slab.

Looks like it's going to the wire, gulp!

boB
 Simon 13 Aug 2007
In reply to Sam M:

They made it then - what a relief!

Si

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...