UKC

NEWS: Big, Free and Trad in Norway - Auer strikes again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 21 Aug 2007
Blamannen is a 450-meter granite wall on the Norwegian island of Kvaloya, close to Tromso, which rises to an altitude of 861 meters. It is generally overhanging, compact, solid granite giving well-protected aid routes of around ten to twelve pitches. Centered on the wall is Arctandria.............

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 TobyA 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Congrats to Heid and Auer - an amazing effort. the Rockfax grade tables suggest that 5.13d puts it in solid E8 territory! And all gear place on the lead - just excellent style.

Kvaløya is such a superb place, and not very far from Tromso airport (you could hitch or bus to the start of the walk-in pretty easily I would think) I'm really quite surprised that not more Brits seem to venture there.

There is even a guidebook available now with all the routes, winter and summer and mountaineering traverses in it: http://www.blixt.no/KvaloyaArchives/

On the other side of the mountain to Blåmann (BTW - "å" is the "Swedish o" Mick, so if you haven't got an å on your keyboard I guess writing it Blomann is closer to the Norwegian) is Hollenderan which has more reasonably graded trad routes which many who have climbed there reckon to be amongst the best granite crack climbs in Europe - from the one I've done which didn't get many stars I have no reason to doubt this, the views are superb!

Every climber who thinks of themselves as a serious mountain rock climber should try and make the effort to visit! It's a fantastic place.
 ebygomm 21 Aug 2007
In reply to TobyA:
> ... to Blåmann (BTW - "å" is the "Swedish o" Mick, so if you haven't got an å on your keyboard I guess writing it Blomann is closer to the Norwegian)

Blaamann would be better, aa can replace å in Danish and I'm pretty sure it's the same in Norwegian
 TobyA 21 Aug 2007
In reply to ebygomm:

> Blaamann would be better, aa can replace å in Danish and I'm pretty sure it's the same in Norwegian

<is there a Norwegian in the house? Any Norwegians please? And none of you southern softies from Oslo - we need a proper northerner with the right accent!>

John2 21 Aug 2007
In reply to TobyA: Actually I'd have thought that 8B climbing protected by two copperheads was closer to E9 than E8, not that I have any experience of operating anywhere near that level.
 ebygomm 21 Aug 2007
In reply to TobyA:

<hijack> cont...

from wiki
Transcription
Since Å is a letter with a distinct sound, not an A with an accent, it is best to keep it when referring to Scandinavian words and names in other languages. However, in Danish and Norwegian, Aa is widely known as the old way of writing Å, used until first part of the 20th century, and a fully functional transcription for Å when using a foreign keyboard.

Ok, so it's wiki so may be wrong but...

</hijack>
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Aug 2007
In reply to TobyA:

å is alt+a on an Apple

Chris

PS. I am still struggling with Ørsvågvaer, my attempts always make my Norwegian hosts laugh!
 duncan 21 Aug 2007

Good to see this is now official news. It sounds like a fantastic route. There is a previous thread including a comment from Markus Haid here:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=254083
 GDes 21 Aug 2007
Mick, can't help but notice your report bears an uncanny resemblance to the one at Alpinist.com!

Anyway, great effort. looks like a stunning climb
 TobyA 21 Aug 2007
In reply to duncan:
> There is a previous thread including a comment from Markus Haid here:
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=254083

Thanks Duncan - I totally missed that, I think I was in my car somewhere between the Midlands and Finland at the time!
 Nj 21 Aug 2007
In reply to TobyA:
> <is there a Norwegian in the house? Any Norwegians please? And none of you southern softies from Oslo - we need a proper northerner with the right accent!>
>
>

Harstad is far enough North!

Å is indeed aa
Ø is oe
Æ is ae

That's what we all write on foreign keyboards. And web adresses which can't hav å ø æ in.

Blåmann is pronounced Blormann for and english person.

Ørsvågvaer would be pronounced Uurrgh-sh-vorg-ver (ver sounding like 'where' with a v)

Stå på!

datoon 21 Aug 2007
In reply to TobyA: Thanks for the info Toby looks like a really good place to go...

Plans maybe afoot!?!
 TobyA 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Nj:

> Å is indeed aa

So how do you pronounce the town at the end of Lofoten which is just delightfully called Å? It's the opposite to Llanfairgylgn...yadayadayada...gogogoch in Wales.
OP Michael Ryan 21 Aug 2007
In reply to GDes:
> Mick, can't help but notice your report bears an uncanny resemblance to the one at Alpinist.com!

It is that report. As it says, by Alpinist, and the source, and the credit.

by Alpinist

Lindsay Griffin reports at Alpinist.com

( Source: Alpinist )

I think I may announce news on the forums under the byline "UKC News" in future.

TobyA 21 Aug 2007
In reply to datoon: There are some pics in my gallery of Hollenderan and the area around. If you climb at E4 you'll have loads to go at - but take a shed full of cams with you! Even if you go in midsummer you could also take an ice axe and crampons and go alpine mountaineering in Lyngen as well.
cogo 21 Aug 2007
In reply to TobyA:

You can pronounce Å by saying "or" without the r.
 Tom Briggs 21 Aug 2007
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> Every climber who thinks of themselves as a serious mountain rock climber should try and make the effort to visit! It's a fantastic place.

Put my name down. The place looks amazing!
 TobyA 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: It's funny I thought of you Tom. The pics from your trip to California a couple of years ago reminded me a bit of Hollenderan.

I've got a load of crag shots of Hollenderan at home. I'll try and stitch them together and post them on UKC so people can get some idea of how extensive the cliffs are there.

Perhaps the only thing against it is that there aren't that many easier routes - we did one of the easier-graded ones and that was HVS/E1-ish. But for people climbing in the low to mid E grades who like amazing granite multipitch cracks, it looks like heaven. I'm going to go back sometime, hopefully with someone who can lead the hard pitches!
 Tom Briggs 21 Aug 2007
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor) It's funny I thought of you Tom. The pics from your trip to California a couple of years ago reminded me a bit of Hollenderan.

Funny you should say that. I had the same feeling looking at this news report as I did when I saw Greg Epperson's superb photos of Airstream - Croft's 13a on the Incredible Hulk in the High Sierra's. Though Croft's route was excellent, it was slightly marred by the number of bolts he had used. Though it would not be considered cool to diss Croft, it's even more inspiring to see hard lines being done in Norway on similarly great looking rock, but with minimal fixed gear. I bet the weather's not as good as California though
 TobyA 21 Aug 2007
 dycotiles 24 Aug 2007

What would be the "E" grade of this route? By the looks of it, close to E9?
maarten 27 Aug 2007
In reply to TobyA:
To see some more pics from the guys cruising the incredible Arctandria, take a look at: http://www.blixt.no/KvaloyaArchives/slideshows.html
There are also some general pics from the climbing on the island there.
 TobyA 28 Aug 2007
In reply to maarten:

Maarten - or should that be Mårten? (see above discussions!)

Thanks so much for the link. The photos are superb, and the climbing looks equally superb. For me there is something very special about granite from an aesthetic point of view. I know lots of sport climbers talk about certain hard limestone routes being wonderful lines, but I often can't see it myself. I've never found limestone a particularly pleasing rock to climb on, it often feels like it is line of bolts that shows you where to go. This I know is personal, beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc. but the photos of that P2 of Arctandria Free just so granite climbing at its best - like the best pitches in Yosemite, there is clearly only one possible way to go.

The other slide show is superb as well - although the ice climb "Smørstabben" makes me shiver just to think how terrifying leading something like that must be! The picture of Brensholmen brings back happy memories of last summer. My mate lead one of the sports routes next to where the people are climbing on the left, a 6a+ I think, and I then toproped it but unusually for me got completely psyched out by the exposure and the horrible feeling of swinging out from the rock over 30 mtr drop, compounded by the fact we were using a new skinny 9mm single rope! I felt like a total beginner and completely pathetic, but after that 'warm-up' I led Stordiedret (the very obvious corner in the middle of that photo) reasonably competently and went on to enjoy the rest of the day there.

Great pics. I hope the new guidebook is selling well!
 TobyA 28 Aug 2007
In reply to maarten: p.s. What grade is "Thanatos"? This pic: http://picasaweb.google.com/Marten.Blixt/KvalYaSlideshow/photo#505379951816... is enough to get even me to the climbing wall this winter. The stuff of dreams.
 duncan 28 Aug 2007
In reply to maarten/TobyA:

Thank you for posting these photos. The place looks amazing. I think I'll have to give Norway another go. When is the rock climbing season?
 TobyA 28 Aug 2007
In reply to duncan: We went in mid-August and had pretty good weather. Soggy snow seems to cause trouble approaching Blåmann and Hollenderan early season, although if you had firm snow - getting up there might be easier than when its snow free?
maarten 28 Aug 2007
In reply to TobyA/duncan:
The summer climbing season goes from about May to October, with sketchy periods in both ends. Best season for the long trad routes is usually July/August (driest), but in mid-August the midnight sun disappears.
Thanatos is simply a magic route, it is norwegian grade 7+, around french 7A. What that means in the E's and stuff you through around is beyond me.
For the note, there are few places on the planet with the same quality on the granite.
/Mårten
 duncan 28 Aug 2007
In reply to maarten:

Thanks you.

> Thanatos is simply a magic route, it is norwegian grade 7+, around french 7A. What that means in the E's and stuff you through around is beyond me.

About E4 I would guess. 6+ was usually E2, 7 around E3 from what I remember. Although American grades would be most appropriate. A truely amazing looking line.

> For the note, there are few places on the planet with the same quality on the granite.

I believe you!
 TobyA 29 Aug 2007

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...