UKC

UKC photo meet on 15 September

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CJD 28 Aug 2007
hello all

further to Richard Carter's thread about the photo meet on 15 September in Staithes (North Yorkshire)

what time is everyone meeting?

ta
 TN 28 Aug 2007
In reply to CJD:

Have a good day - we're off to Magna.
and at the same time...
 kathrync 28 Aug 2007
In reply to CJD:

Ok, that's obviously not working...

How about we just make a time. 10??

K
 Richard Carter 28 Aug 2007
10am
again incase you need it my mobile number is 07966892147
Franklin the pedantic cat 28 Aug 2007
In reply to CJD:

C, we'd have loved to do this, but as so often this summer we're booked. Taking Sue's youngest to Uni for the first time.

And it's CANTERBURY!!!

Could he have chosen a uni further away????????
OP CJD 28 Aug 2007
In reply to Franklin the pedantic cat:

hello!

this time it's definitely nowt to do with me, I just bumped for a time for it.

hopefully see you soon, though!
Yrmenlaf 28 Aug 2007
In reply to CJD:

10:00 is relaxed for me - assuming I can get away.

Anyone needing a lift from Durham (station), just email me through this forum, or drop a line here.

Y.
 kathrync 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

You have mail

K
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

so who else is planning on attending this?
 kathrync 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

I've just re-read the original thread. It was only you, Richard, Yrmenlaf and myself who said a definite "yes". There were a couple of maybes as well.

Come on people, the more the merrier, and we won't frighten you away with our big scary cameras, honest!

K
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

or small, scabby cameras, as the case may be...

ah well. Just thought I'd bump it anyway.
 Blue Straggler 05 Sep 2007
I'd been a maybe but sadly can't really come as I have houseguests arriving from Hluboka at 11pm on the Friday and I live 180 miles from Staithes and I am not sure they'd appreciate continuing their odyssey so soon!
If it were a week later that would be good.

However you will have such a splendid time and turn out such good photos, that people will inspired to arrange more of these! Hurrah!
 graeme jackson 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: I can't come as I'm taking my eldest to aberdeen to start her Art degree. (at last, now I can let out her room)
 Richard Carter 05 Sep 2007
Hmmm, it doesn't sound like it'll be a huge turn out
Should be ok though! Where should we meet then, I'm struggling to think of a suitable location in Staiths.
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Carter:

yeah - I've never been to Staithes before, so even though it's not huge, a recommended meeting place would be good.
> Hmmm, it doesn't sound like it'll be a huge turn out

Indeed. Imagine a group of10 or more, it'd be a nightmare!
Sounds about right to me.

> Should be ok though! Where should we meet then, I'm struggling to think of a suitable location in Staiths.

In front of Northside Cottage (named after the Madchester also-rans!)

http://www.northside-cottage.co.uk/

kathrync 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

No, I've not been there either. Yrmenlaf is picking me up at Durham Station, but we might be a bit late as my train doesn't arrive until 9.13...the previous one would have had me sitting in Newcastle for 3 hours!

I'll make sure I take a note of Richard's number in case we get delayed.

K
 John Wood 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

I'd put myself down as a possible, hope to see you all.
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to John Wood:

excellent - I'd offer a lift but I'm not heading back to Hudders that night.
Should be fun!
I'm thinking I might take my fuji for a change. The only thing is I've been spoilt with the d40 and love not having any weight to carry around :-P
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007

oo, decisions, decisions... Rollo will be getting an airing (so Kathryn can be persuaded that she also needs an ancient camera), and my canon, and I was thinking i might bring some film and some lenses for the Nikon because I haven't really messed around with the lenses yet, but I don't think the lightmeter on the body's working very well - I'm not sure how it's influencing the shutter. I see if I can figure out what's going on with the assistance of a separate lightmeter.
 kathrync 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Richard Carter)
>
> Rollo will be getting an airing (so Kathryn can be persuaded that she also needs an ancient camera)

That won't be hard! I was going to try and persuade Dad to lend me his Rolleiflex for the occasion, but I don't hold out much hope...

What body is your Nikon? Rob uses a fairly old Nikon body so I might be able to provide some insight...

I'm bringing the oly. And its pinhole adaptor And the rollei if I'm allowed....
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

the Nikon's yet another of my inherited cameras - it's an EM so it's pretty much aperture priority anyway. I'm saving for a better body (well, one that at least allows shutter priority too!) The lightmeter's visible part is a 'line' (whose aim is to be in the middle of a scale) - it seemed to be going bananas when I put a 105mm f3.5 lens on it, but I know there's nothing wrong with the lens, in terms of its aperture action... so I definitely need to do some experimenting.
In reply to CJD:

Taking plenty of stuff then
I would but I'm basically very very lazy :-P although I just got my tripod head back from being repaired so i might take the old tripod along.
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007

ir'a more just because after years with one camera, I now have the chance to experiment! It'll definitely be Rollo and the canon (I'm too scared of ChrisJD not to take the Canon! (only joking Chris )
Anonymous 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Carter: you can be in charge of the UKC digicam challenge- compacts vs dslr etc
same focal length, asa- 100, f5.6/8?
i'd like to see how the 10MP compacts perform against the 6MP nikon dslrs
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

Tim! will you be joining us?

and where do you propose to fit 70 year old MF cameras in that challenge?
 kathrync 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

Both my oly and my Ricoh have that kind of meter. The Oly is quite stable, but the Ricoh goes a bit nuts. It gets better if I change the battery, but it is never 100% stable. Both those are fully manual though so I don't know how it works with aperture priority... hmmmm I think Rob's F3 is a bit more recent than the EM (only 198x!)
Anonymous 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: you and straggler are both deluded
does tim own a bronica 6x6?
 kathrync 05 Sep 2007
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> Taking plenty of stuff then
> I would but I'm basically very very lazy :-P although I just got my tripod head back from being repaired so i might take the old tripod along.

I'm bringing a tripod, although mine is just a cheap light one...I want to play with a pinhole though, so I might need it!
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

i probably am deluded, but hey ho, it's my own happy delusion.

I've no idea what tim owns - other than various olympus cameras.
Anonymous 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: ahh, i see why you thought i might be tim- the MP reference(he's only got a 4)
well, so have i, but unlike tim i reckon a 10 would be better, hence the

UKC digicam challenge, 2007
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

ahhh. I owe you an apology! sorry about that.
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

to have a proper Challenge we need to ensure that people with compacts are coming!
 Mike Hartley 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

Any other weekend would have been great...that ones a little inconvenient for me though. Anyhow, have a good one...and lots of pictures.
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to CJD) you and straggler are both deluded

Sorry my mind was addled at that time, I didn't look at that link but had assumed it was one that Tim had posted before!
In reply to Anonymous:
>
> same focal length, asa- 100, f5.6/8?

How many digi cameras offer an effective ASA of less than 200? I thought 200 was the norm.

Will the challenge be in the form of a "blind test" - lobbing full-res images onto the web and challenging UKC Photogrificators to say which camera produced which image?

ChrisJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Blue Straggler:

The Canon G7 has a claimed base ISO of 80.
Removed User 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

I would have liked to have come up, unfortunately I'm both brassic and on what I have left im doing the house up for sale so have fun and hopefully another time.

OP CJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Removed User:

well if this one's fun then I reckon we do another one in a peakier direction - whaddaya tink?
Removed User 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

sounds good, its nice to meet up and share thoughts on images and different interpretations of a scene. we all bring unique eyes
sam the man 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: Sounds like it could be fun but I'm likely to be working. Have fun everyone
Sam
In reply to CJD:

Do you really want me to bring my compact :-P
It's a canon g7 and i hate it!

Just noticed my d40 is probably nearing the end of its shutter life so I'll need to get a new camera. Good job nikon brough out a couple of new cameras :-p lol
 Simon 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

where the flipping heck is staines?

;0)
We're definately NOT going to staines !!!!!

Removed User 05 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

you have mail btw
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Simon:

Staithes is on the North Yorkshire coast - Richard chose the venue. Perfick for me as I can visit my parents too, and have a nice sunday at Slipstones or Scugdale - yay!
Anonymous 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> Staithes is on the North Yorkshire coast
yes, it's a fine venue for photographers and fossil hunters alike- the coast towards mulgrave is good for ammonites and jet
 sutty 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

>it's a fine venue for photographers and fossil hunters alike-

Is it, better not go then as I do not want adding to someones fossil collection.
In reply to CJD:

Nmm, I'll keep an eye on the weather, and if it's looks like staying dry all day, I think I'll have a mosey on over to this. (I'm on two wheels). Just have to be knackered at work that night.

Dave.
 Simon 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> Staithes is on the North Yorkshire coast - Richard chose the venue. Perfick for me as I can visit my parents too, and have a nice sunday at Slipstones or Scugdale - yay!

Ah - ta

Looks a nice place - wish I could make it - but doesn't seem to have any rail linkage...

...Slipstones - now your talking!!

;0)

Si
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to CJD)
> [...]
>
>
>
> Ah - ta
>
> Looks a nice place - wish I could make it - but doesn't seem to have any rail linkage...

no, the station closed in 1960.
>
> ...Slipstones - now your talking!!

yes. Have you been? It's one of my favourite places.

kathrync 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to CJD)
> [...]
>
>
>
>
>
> Looks a nice place - wish I could make it - but doesn't seem to have any rail linkage...
>
>
>

Yrmenlaf is very kindly giving me a lift from Durham...I'm sure you could join us if you want to...maybe mail him?

K
Yrmenlaf 05 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

Not a problem, if you want. I'm picking up from Durham at 09:15 ish to get to Staithes for 10:00. Unfortunatley, I will have to leave Staithes at 17:30, since I have booked to see the jazz guitarist, Martin Taylor, that evening in Durham.

Slipstones and Scugdale are both superb venues.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to join you. Too much business!

Y.
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

the bouldering on the sunday wasn't really intended as a UKC thing!
 Simon 05 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:
> (In reply to Simon)
> [...]
>
> Yrmenlaf is very kindly giving me a lift from Durham...I'm sure you could join us if you want to...maybe mail him?
>
> K

Muchos Thanks - but I'm a Sheffield womble... If Yrmenlaf fancies a road trip I'm in!!

;0)

Si
OP CJD 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Simon:

lazy bugger.

lol.
 sutty 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Simon:

I believe the stagecoach has got as far as Durham from Sheffield now, and Stevenson may have got a new train that does similar journeys for a considerance, investigate;

http://www.transportdirect.info/Web/Templates/Home.aspx?NRMODE=Published&am...
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> lazy bugger.

What?

I.....I'd thought that he was a dedicated budding journo/snapper!

Another illusion shattered!

Damn you
 Simon 05 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> lazy bugger.
>
> lol.

It looks a really nice location - and would love to come along - no ones going from sheff though.

Could get to York & Scarborough - but looking a bit harder to get up the coast - have a great time y'all though & look forward to seeing the results!

si
OP CJD 06 Sep 2007
In reply to Simon:

okay - results might take a while as I'll be taking my retrocam... eek, only 12 frames per film, how *will* I manage with that and my dslr?

guffaw!
Removed User 06 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

I think your retrocam may well have a friend to interface and discuss retro stuff with on that meet
 Simon 06 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

I had both my NIKON SLR 401 & D80 round my neck when I fell down the side of Kinder North on Saturday - multi-tasking i think you call it!!

;0)
OP CJD 06 Sep 2007

sounds like it! I got an email! yay!
 kathrync 06 Sep 2007
> (In reply to Removed User)
>
> I think your retrocam may well have a friend to interface and discuss retro stuff with on that meet

Indeed it will, thank you very much (again!!) :oD

K (very happy!)

OP CJD 06 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

TLR is the new DSLR
 Blue Straggler 06 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

And DLR is a slow choo-choo train through Canary Wharf
Removed User 06 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

lol, well its on its journey oop north in the morning so it may get to you Saturday. I look forward to seeing the images
 Sean Bell 06 Sep 2007
>
> Just noticed my d40 is probably nearing the end of its shutter life so I'll need to get a new camera.

You're kidding, right?

John Wood 06 Sep 2007
In reply to Barry Chocolate:
> (In reply to Richard Carter)
> [...]
>
> You're kidding, right?

Have you just been holding the shutter button down since you bought it?

Richard Carter 06 Sep 2007
Well i've been a bit snap happy since i got it :-P
plus to be fair I've used it a work a few times. Anyway thats not as bad as when my D2h shutter packed in, at least the d40 is only rated at 50,000 (I think).
 dek 06 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Carter: Wouldn't you be better off with a movie camera?!
 Richard Carter 06 Sep 2007
To be fair i work as a photogapher so the D40 gets a fair bit of use from that!
 sutty 06 Sep 2007

Come on, if you shoot at 1/100 sec then that is 500 seconds use, under ten minutes use and it is worn out?

We used to do this to people in the photo club to show how little use a shutter gets.
 Fidget 06 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

I'll hopefully be in Scotland, but if the weather's too pants for that I may be interested. I lurked on the last thread but didn't post.
 Richard Carter 07 Sep 2007
"Come on, if you shoot at 1/100 sec then that is 500 seconds use, under ten minutes use and it is worn out?

We used to do this to people in the photo club to show how little use a shutter gets. "

what do you want me to say?
shutters do wear out quite frequently. it's not as simple as only 500 seconds use. because of its small size and extreme thinness, and the fact all its time of use is stoping and starting, the forces on it are relatively high. It doesnt have to physically break, but it starts getting inaccurate. the d2h started going wobbly then eventually packed in.
also its not just 500 seconds, the exposure may be 1/100 of a second but the sutter is in motion for longer than that. also you have the mechanical wear and tear of firing a mirror up and down etc...

the d40 will probably last longer than they claim, although its not like its expensive to replace if it does.
 sutty 07 Sep 2007

I expected a smiley, as I said, the camera gets very little use in time terms of the shutter opening and closing even if it is complicated and mirrors and wind ons etc all take some hammer. Come to think of it, my prewar Voightlander has probably had less exposure time than your latest camera, a mere 200 films or so.
 Blue Straggler 07 Sep 2007
In reply to sutty:

An industrial camera in my care, is warrantied to a certain number of shutter activations. I will need to check it, but I recall that it seemed low for the application we will put it into. Still, it's "only" £15k! (not my money!)
I think it is either 100,000 or 1,000,000 shots. It'd better be AT LEAST the latter.
 sutty 07 Sep 2007

If it is a high speed one it may be the latter, taking thousands of shots per second;

http://www.fastecimaging.com/indust_cams.html
 Richard Carter 07 Sep 2007
In reply to sutty:

Sorry if I sounded a bit off

sutty 07 Sep 2007

No problem, late at night people get tired and a bit short, I know I do sometimes.
In reply to Cat on a Hot Thin Roof:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> Nmm, I'll keep an eye on the weather, and if it's looks like staying dry all day, I think I'll have a mosey on over to this. (I'm on two wheels). Just have to be knackered at work that night.
>
> Dave.

Bugger! Cancel the above, I'd have loved to have come over, but the clutch actuation arm on the 'bike has just snapped. Sod it! It's an end-of-month-when-I-get-paid job, and possibly a bit of major dismantling to get at it. Oh well, some other time, have a good day...

Dave.
Anonymous 08 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Carter: <the d40 will probably last longer than they claim, although its not like its expensive to replace if it does.> Your right there, my 20d went after 300,000 actuations it was rated for 100,000 IIRC, replaced it with the 1d mkIII and that is rated for 300,000 so cannot imagine wearing this one out.
 Richard Carter 09 Sep 2007
I actually used that very D40 to shoot a wedding today!
I had it as like an emergency spare then at the last minute thought what the hell :-p its my favorite cam so why not use it!
it worked like an absolute treat :-D still used big cameras too (for speed etc), but i used the D40 some pretty cool high iso shots - of course the d3 will see the end of my d40 i suspect :-P
ICE 09 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Carter: I have to add grain in photoshop when I do high iso on my canon, d3 should be very nice though, shame its only 12 MP
only 12?! lol
now you're just being silly :-P
ICE 09 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Carter: :-P, silly, moi? I am after a canon 1ds mkII off anyone upgrading to the MKIII, anyone know of anyone considering such a move?
Seen the MK II in action, it's pretty cool, seriously though you gotta be tempted by the MK III
OP CJD 09 Sep 2007
In reply to ICE:

hey, are you coming to the meet, seeing as how it's just down the road from you?
ICE 10 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: I would love to, was at whitby last weekend and am running out of inspiration there, so it will be a great spur to creativity meet you all somewhere newish and take some pics. Only issue might be transport as colin the coupe is poorly at the moment, somethings leaking out from underneath and I cannot get him looked at for 2 weeks.
OP CJD 10 Sep 2007
In reply to ICE:

oo - sure transport can be arranged!
ICE 10 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Carter: the mark 3 will be way out of my price range, could just about justify 3k-ish on a second hand MKII, I have just bought an old west german zeiss planar 85mm f1.4 which would certainly use the resolution of the mkIII, but it'll have to be the MKII for me I think.
ICE 10 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: well if anyones passing darlo I'm not far from junc 58 off the a1/m1 (you to drive past my house on route across darlo to get to the east cost), if anyone would be as kind as to drop me an email.
 Snax 11 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: excellent choice of venue, I'll try and skip work and wander down the hill to meet you all! HAve you arranged a meeting place yet? if not I might have a few suggestions, namely down the bottom as its easier.
By the way there is no parking in the village, you have to park at the top of the hill and walk down, don't worry its not far.
OP CJD 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Snax:

ha ha, walking's not a problem - or at least I'd hope it's not, what with us all being climbers... :-S

yeah, where to meet? I don't know staithes at all.
Anonymous 11 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: there's a car park at the top of the hill, don't be tempted to drive down into the village
OP CJD 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

sounds like runswick bay. Lovely stuff!
 Snax 11 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: 3 place spring to mind, in front of the staithes gallery, which is at the bottom of the hill, you can't miss it.
In front of the lifeboat shed, which again is at the bottom of the hill, but on the opposite side of the river, easy enough to find.
or right round on the front, past the cod and lobster pub and near the public toliets.
although I would suggest one of the first two being the better choice.
OP CJD 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Snax:

never best to arrange a meeting next to toilets - it looks weird.

in front of the lifeboat shed sounds good to me!
Anonymous 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Snax: errrmmm...
whaddabout INSIDE the cod & lobster?
OP CJD 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

at 10am? will it be open?
Anonymous 11 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: good point- i'll shuddup
OP CJD 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

no - it was a cracking plan, it's just that it had one small flaw...

will you be joining us?
 sutty 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Snax:

Do they do transport back up the hill or do I have to get the ambulance out? Seriously.
Anonymous 11 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: i'm tempted
there's a couple i know who live there -check out the craft shop for Lucy paintings while you're waiting
Anonymous 11 Sep 2007
In reply to sutty: when you've walked along the beach to port mulgrave, you can follow an inland path to bring yourself back to the top carpark
 Snax 11 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: cracking, after climbing the hill at port! he he, that will need an ambalance! just wont be able to get it back up, stuck forever more at the bottom.
 sutty 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Snax:

It is ok, will not be going anywhere I cannot get back from. If push comes to shove I will park at the bottom of the hills and argue the toss with whoever. When there with my wife we never got out of the car, nasty village that does not like disabled people. No parking for them.
 jools 11 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

Watching this thread hop and and down is like waving chocolate in front of the mouse hole!

If I had a car-plane-car, I would probably be coming.

Are then any other lurkers to this locationally restrictive thread wishing to have a UKC soft-southerners photo meet?

:p
OP CJD 11 Sep 2007
In reply to jools:

we could always have a peakish meet next?
 jools 11 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

I was thinking more of somewhere I could get with my oyster card Well at least in the south, that's south of the M4.
OP CJD 11 Sep 2007
In reply to jools:

oh. Ah. I'm not very good at the South. I tend to think of the Peak as South...
 John Wood 11 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to jools)
>
> oh. Ah. I'm not very good at the South. I tend to think of the Peak as South...

It's clearly the midlands!
 jools 11 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

Are you telling me, you never go down south?
OP CJD 11 Sep 2007
In reply to jools:

er... generally no. Is that bad? I'm aware that I miss out on lots of exhibitions...

I went to Pembroke last Easter (06) and to Dartmoor in May 06... and I went to see my brother in London in January this year... oh, and a meeting in Bristol last May. That's it that I can think of.
 sutty 11 Sep 2007
In reply to jools:

I go down south a few times a year I will have you know, sometimes as far as Chesterfield. Probably get lost if I went into the Marie triangle that is lestershure.
 jools 11 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to jools)
>
> er... generally no. Is that bad?

Guess not, but my commiserations to Mr CJD.
 jools 11 Sep 2007
In reply to sutty:

They're a bit lacks with security these days then?
OP CJD 11 Sep 2007
In reply to jools:

ah - he comes to visit me! But he lives Beyond South.

OP CJD 11 Sep 2007
In reply to jools:

ohhhhh.

<light dawns>

so wrong.

guffaw!
 jools 11 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

jeeesh, give that handle a few turns will ya!
 sutty 11 Sep 2007
In reply to jools:

Those concrete soled boots in your profile, would you like them setting in a motorway foundation?
 jools 11 Sep 2007
In reply to sutty:

I'll bypass if that's ok , thanks for the offer.

Sorry it's the weather
OP CJD 11 Sep 2007
In reply to jools:

I'd hand you your anorak but you seem to be stuck in it already, complete with mittens
 jools 11 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

Pah!

Not allowed to remove it, they with-hold my rusks if I do that :|
Anonymous 11 Sep 2007
In reply to jools: what's happened to your profile pic

alum, ammonites, jet, seals n chips @ whitby mmmm
 Blue Straggler 11 Sep 2007
In reply to jools:
>
> Are then any other lurkers to this locationally restrictive thread

Yes

> wishing to have a UKC soft-southerners photo meet?
>
Not particularly, but not averse!

I'd be at Staithes if it weren't for these real live Bohemians coming to visit me.

Blue Straggler 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to jools) what's happened to your profile pic
>
> alum, ammonites, jet, seals n chips @ whitby mmmm

And those glass ducks! Don't forget the glass ducks!

And a whale's jawbone, offering approximately one photographic opportunity.

And a Dracula tour

Anonymous 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Blue Straggler: Whitby rocks 4 Goths, as you well know. i prefer seal watching
Anonymous 11 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: aren't you going to offer Sutty a ride up 'the hill'?
 jools 11 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

my profile pic? Hasn't been one up for donkeys!
 Richard Carter 11 Sep 2007
erm, im confused, where we meeting?
you cant miss me, i'll be bumbling about looking lost and confused!
Yrmenlaf 12 Sep 2007
In reply to ICE:

That is a bit out of my way (from Durham) - I don't suppose you could get yourself to Durham Station for about 09:15, when I am picking up KathrynC?

The other snag is that I would have to shoehorn at least one of you into the back of the Clio.

Me coming to Darlo to pick you up is stretching it a bit, in my opinion. I wouldn't get to you before 09:45, and I guess it would be a full hour to Staithes from there. Also, I have to be back in Durham for 18:30.

Sorry if this sounds horribly negative.

Y.

Anonymous 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf: hi, thanks, good option, can get train to durham for the same time you are picking KC up, I'll be the lardy git with a green nova 4 camera bag and tripod slung noncholanty slung over my shoulder, I also seem to be bearing a disturbing hair resemblance to Willliam Fichtner at the moment.
Anonymous 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous: seal isn't a goth now is he?
Yrmenlaf 12 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

I take it you are ICE?

We have a deal, I think. Send me an email, and I will give you my contact details should anything go wrong (not that it could with the trains)

Y.
ICE 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf: yes sorry was in the library went I sent that one, will send mail with my mob as well, cheers.
diablo 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

i will be with you - but only in my soul

i'd love to come

regretably i shall be working until 21.00 and i live at the other end
 kathrync 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

I've just been and acquired a light meter so now I can even take correctly exposed pictures with the TLR...hooray!

OP CJD 14 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

yay! I'm locked on the horns of a camera dilemma...
 kathrync 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

In what way?
OP CJD 14 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

what to bring... I haven't tried out any of the Nikon lenses I got a while ago yet, well not in anger anyway, and I was messing around with a 20mm lens which looks like muchos fun... and there's a comedy 500mm mirror thingy that could do to be played with... but there's an almost finished film in lovely yashica that I'd like to finish... and obviously rollo has to come (I've already put some film for you in his bag)... and it would make sense to bring the digi so I can lark around with it the day after whilst bouldering. But that lot together weighs a forkin' ton. I should stop being so indecisive.

oo I've just had an idea.
 kathrync 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

Bung everything in the car, decide what you want when you get there and lock the rest in the boot...

I used to have a 20mm for my Canon...it was much fun! I almost kept the camera just for that
OP CJD 14 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

that's not a bad idea...
 Richard Carter 14 Sep 2007
so where in staithes are we actually meeting :-P
OP CJD 14 Sep 2007

apparently by the lifeboat hut. I understand.

not that i know where that is!
diablo 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to kathrync)
>
> what to bring...

dear me

have been to lots of camera clubs

(dont take anything)

notice though you have a Yashica ?

have got my dad's minister D that he bought when i was 4 y/o and i still have it - it's a minister D - it's too valuable for me to use

my proper camera's are Yashica based so there's a dna running through all my work

OP CJD 14 Sep 2007
In reply to diablo:

what is a minister D?

Richard Carter 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

It's an old rangefinder camera.
diablo 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

it's a v v old Yashica 35mm (non slr) camera

Dad bought it in 1968 - and i still have it and it still takes THE most fab pics - in fact, i used it right up until i went slr
OP CJD 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

offer me motivation to get up dead early tomorrow to drive up to Staithes, please. I'm about to go to bed and I need an incentive to set my alarm, as I feel like I could sleep till mid afternoon no probs...
 pog100 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

Should be good weather and light and Staithes is a nice little place to visit ... You can sleep tomorrow night!
 wushu 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: Sleep until mid-afternoon on Sunday instead
OP CJD 14 Sep 2007
In reply to pog100:

true... but 10am?

:-S

uuurgh.

think anyone'll mind if I'm a bit late?
OP CJD 14 Sep 2007
In reply to wushu:

I'm out bouldering on Sunday. Im staying at my parents tomorrow night and my mum thinks 8am is a lie in
Franklin the pedantic cat 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Mike C:

Great pic!
 pog100 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
One fine august day as I was making my way
along the hardship troubled streets of staithes
i saw the seagulls flying in the clear northern sky
heard the shifting chorus of the waves
as staithes looked so fair in the clear morning air
sea mist seeming to fragment with specks of light
and on the sea wall though the mists lifting pawl?
an old man sitting there came into sight

well we sat side by side until the turning of the tide
but not the smallest craft put out to sea
and as the water receded still unheeded lay the boats
the pots and nets collected on the quay
I asked him the reason why no boats put to sea
he looked long and thoughtfully at me
and then with a sigh he said you might well wonder why
for who'd have thought such things could ever be
 pog100 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

First two verses of a Vin Garbutt song ... needs a strong, strong accent.
OP CJD 14 Sep 2007
In reply to pog100:

right... there's now a pile of cameras and lenses on the sitting room floor.

I'm off to bed.

blurgh.

oo, film.

In reply to CJD:

Have fun tomorrow C. If other commitments allowed we'd be there.

M & Sxx
 pog100 14 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

our job is done .. I am off to bed too, we are to be in Newcastle at 10am!
 Mike C 14 Sep 2007
Thanks stranger!
In reply to Mike C:

Nowt strange about me.......
 Mike C 14 Sep 2007

Hmmm.......
diablo 15 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

(can't help thinking this may turninto a 'oooo look what he/ she's got' evening ?)
ICE 15 Sep 2007
In reply to diablo: hey, nothing of the sort, retro chic was the order of the day, I even put a 1960's zeiss lens on my dslr for the day and got some super sharp f1.4 images of various sea sidey things.
 Richard Carter 15 Sep 2007
I had 2 cups of hot chocolate :-D
ICE 15 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Carter: and a panini
 kathrync 15 Sep 2007
In reply to ICE:

Cheers all, I had a good day! I hope everyone else did too

Now I just need to work out how to get the film back out of the TLR and I can see what I got!

Thanks to Richard for organising

K
 Blue Straggler 15 Sep 2007
Are you lot going to arrange that blind-test for the UKC photo techie pontificators then? i.e. see who can identify similar shots from different "qualities" of camera? I'll host the images....

I may actually be up in Staithes (or, more likely, Whitby) in the week, with Natashica and Trip Hazard (Oly Trip 35 which has started work today for the sake of being on the meet "in spirit")
Yrmenlaf 16 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

I hugely enjoyed myself: thanks everyone.

Y.
 Richard Carter 16 Sep 2007
blind-test!

I didn't know we were being tested! I wasn't paying attention
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

You snaffled my batteries! :-O
 Blue Straggler 16 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Richard Carter) you can be in charge of the UKC digicam challenge- compacts vs dslr etc
> same focal length, asa- 100, f5.6/8?
> i'd like to see how the 10MP compacts perform against the 6MP nikon dslrs

There you go Richard - a anonymous non-Tim "suggestion"
Yrmenlaf 16 Sep 2007

Sorry, Richard, I clean forgot that you lent me them.

Y.

In reply to Yrmenlaf:

It's ok I dont need them urgently or anything, I mainly just wanted to use the word 'snaffled' :-P

I'll take two pictures later and e-mail you :-P
Yrmenlaf 16 Sep 2007

It is a good use of the word "snaffled"

Y.
OP CJD 16 Sep 2007
> Are you lot going to arrange that blind-test for the UKC photo techie pontificators then? i.e. see who can identify similar shots from different "qualities" of camera? I'll host the images....
>

ha ha, no, we just all had a good time larking around with our cameras.

> I may actually be up in Staithes (or, more likely, Whitby) in the week, with Natashica and Trip Hazard (Oly Trip 35 which has started work today for the sake of being on the meet "in spirit")

don't worry about this one - there'll be others!
OP CJD 16 Sep 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf, Richard, ICE, Kathryn, Snax:

cheers everyone, it was muchos fun! Hurrah for my mum washing my trousers for me after my slight incident with the harbour bottom...

I'm packaging up my films now and I'm looking forward to seeing what I got...
OP CJD 16 Sep 2007
In reply to diablo:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> (can't help thinking this may turninto a 'oooo look what he/ she's got' evening ?)

it was only like that in terms of us all being interested in older/newer things - the range of cameras we all brought along was quite impressive in terms of ranging from very old to very new! It certainly wasn't a cock-waving contest like some of the UKC photo threads are Much fun!
Removed User 16 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

nice, sounds like you all had a great time, shame i couldnt make it but another time
OP CJD 16 Sep 2007

we were talking about having another one in a more Peakish direction...
Anonymous 16 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: eerrmmm, TR + photos please
OP CJD 16 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:

TR?

all the photos I took were on film rather than digi so I have to get them developed yet...
OP CJD 16 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

oh, trip report?

Six of us met in staithes, with an assortment of old, new and hacked cameras. We split up, took some photos, regrouped for a nice cup of tea, went for a wander along the beach, had a nice chat, took some more photos, agreed that it was a nice thing to do, all inspected one anothers cameras and lenses in a conversational manner, then we went home. I presume - I left a bit earlier than the others. Most enjoyable.
 Richard Carter 17 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

Next time i vote we go somewhere with a starbucks

Right, hands up those who'd like to see a photo of CJD scowling at me :-P
 kathrync 17 Sep 2007

<puts hand up>

ICE 17 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: that lens I impulse purchased and paid for on friday arrived saturday, which was not part of the plan, as mrs ice took delivery of it, which now means I am grounded until I can grovel enough to make her forget about it. So lots of cooking favourite meals this week I think.
 John Wood 17 Sep 2007

<Puts both hands up and waves foot in air>
ICE 17 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13205615@N08/ a few shots from the day, just testing my new flickr account, will upload more when I have time and bandwidth.
 kathrync 17 Sep 2007
In reply to ICE:

Cool I put my TLR film in to be processed today, but the 35mm will have to wait until I have finished it.

OP CJD 17 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

I sent off an elderly 120 film and a b&w 35mm film this morning - hurrah!
 kathrync 17 Sep 2007
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> Next time i vote we go somewhere with a starbucks
>
> Right, hands up those who'd like to see a photo of CJD scowling at me :-P

So do we get to see this photo then??

OP CJD 17 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

no! photos of me are bad at the best of times.

I'll post a couple of pictures when i get round to it. im tired been diy'ing all day long.
 kathrync 17 Sep 2007

Aww... I actually read that as dying, which I reckon would be worse.

In reply to CJD:

*sigh*
right ill go and get my computer. check back here at in about 15mins for exciting CJD updates :-P
haha
In reply to CJD:

well ive made a webpage with the pictures on. CJD just has to approve them now :-P

I kinda feel like I wasted the day, I only took 8 pictures :-P
In reply to CJD:

right then

www.clickshots.co.uk/staithes/
In reply to CJD:

All i did was resize the pictures so they fit on my screen but it still takes a while to load , so be warned!
Yrmenlaf 17 Sep 2007

Very good: I must get mine uploaded (I took rather more than you, but they are less good)

Y.
OP CJD 17 Sep 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

mine were sent off today so will be back next week.
 kathrync 17 Sep 2007

lol, was this "take embarassing photos of the girls" day or something??

Actually, I like the one of Clare, it's just me who look awful

Nice pics
 Mike C 18 Sep 2007
> (In reply to CJD)
> www.clickshots.co.uk/staithes/

Ha, you found the same boats as I caught here some years ago.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8760210@N07/1383447500/
 kathrync 18 Sep 2007
In reply to Dr Avid:
> (In reply to kathrync)
>
>
> Ummm is the lens cap still on?
>
>
Lol

That's a body cap that I have put a pinhole in to make a pinhole camera
 Al Evans 18 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync: Off the point, but its only because I'm jealous as I wasn't there.
BUT, I was once part of a crew that mega poluted the beach at Staithes, we were filming a thing called 'Return of the Antelope', which was about the little people from Lilliput coming to visit Gullivers land.
Anyhow lots of camera tricks were involved obviously, but the technology at the time neccesitated that we actually had to build huge model pier props, complete with things like people sized nuts and bolts.
Well we did this at Staithes, in the middle of the scene we had to flee the tide and leave our models in situ.
The next morning when we came back to continue, there were no models, just thousands and tousands of little polystyrene balls all over the beach. It took weeks for them to disperse and GTV had to pay a fine to the council, but I guess it probably affected other beaches in the area.
 Dr Avid 18 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync: ye ye I bet thats just what George said too......
 kathrync 19 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

So I got the TLR photos back this morning

I only got 7 off the film...there was one where I knocked a lever which seems to hold the shutter open, so it blew the frame out. And I think I accidentally wound it on twice a couple of times.

Of the shots I have, there is one out of focus, and a couple where there are things I didn't intend in the edges of the frame...ICE's feet for example! I think that is just getting used to focussing and composing on a ground glass screen. But there are a couple of reasonable images there, and another couple that will be reasonable when cropped.

So overall, I'm quite pleased with his first outing

Photos will go on Flickr tonight if I get the time. You'll have to wait for the 35mm though.

K
 Snax 19 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: Well I had a really good couple of hours, just sorry I had to dash off. Anyway, i'll develop my film asap (just its at the back of a rather long que at the moment) and upload anything decent.

Thanks for the meet up, always good to see the faces behind the names, and cameras.

Oh and I brought a new camera today, its a EOS 5, so of to test it in the morning.
Yrmenlaf 19 Sep 2007
 The Lemming 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

Excellent shots.

I've been watching this thread for a few weeks and I was hoping to pop along. But that was until I came down with vertigo over the weekend.

Are you chaps planning another trip like this?

I'd love to tag along.
 kathrync 19 Sep 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

Nice, I like the one with the boats framed in that big wooden, er, thing!

I stupidly left all mine on my desk at work so they probably won't go up until Monday now! D'oh!
OP CJD 19 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming:

yeah - we were talking about another one a bit further south for all the Peak folk to not have to come up with excuses for being unable to attend

I'm gonna be a bit all over the place for the next couple of months, weekend wise, but I'm up for a winter gathering if anyone else is?
 kathrync 19 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> yeah - we were talking about another one a bit further south for all the Peak folk to not have to come up with excuses for being unable to attend
>
> I'm gonna be a bit all over the place for the next couple of months, weekend wise, but I'm up for a winter gathering if anyone else is?

Yeah, I'd be up for a winter gathering
 The Lemming 19 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> yeah - we were talking about another one a bit further south for all the Peak folk to not have to come up with excuses for being unable to attend

Autumn in the Peak is breathtaking if the weather is right.

Or as an alternative Ingleton Waterfalls?

Either way I'd love to learn some new skills.
 Dr Avid 19 Sep 2007
North Wales is pretty special, and not too bad for most people to get to.....
 Richard Carter 20 Sep 2007
Oh great, 2 pictures of me,

1) I'm lying down
2) I'm sat on my @rse

People are going to start thinking I'm lazy! I was actually taking a picture of a boat. honest
OP CJD 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Dr Avid:
> North Wales is pretty special, and not too bad for most people to get to.....

KathrynC's in Edinburgh...

I say that as she is, so far, the person coming from furthest north, and she's one of the first to say yes to the idea, she gets to nominate the next location. oo, what about the lakes?

ICE 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf: some good examples of the photographers art there. I also really like the one of the boats framed by the wooden poles, and the one of us lot all eyes to the viewfinders is also good.
 kathrync 20 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Dr Avid)
> [...]
>
> KathrynC's in Edinburgh...
>
> I say that as she is, so far, the person coming from furthest north, and she's one of the first to say yes to the idea, she gets to nominate the next location. oo, what about the lakes?

Cheers Thanks for the thought! I like the Lakes, but that isn't much further south than where we were this time, and still excludes a lot of the people who were interested but didn't come this time because of the distance.

I'd be quite keen on N Wales actually. I've always wanted to go shooting in some of the slate quarries there, there are some really cool artifacts still around if you poke around away from the climbing areas...lots of nice scabby stuff You can even get into some of the mines to photo stuff if you have a good flash (note for stupid people, this is illegal and dangerous!).

If we were to make it a whole weekend, at least for those who are interested, we could maybe photo one day and climb/walk/scramble as appropriate on the other day...that would make the trip worthwhile for me. I would rather not try to combine the two at the same time though...

What does everyone else think?

K
OP CJD 20 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

that sounds like an ace idea! I just have an issue with the next couple of months though :-S
 kathrync 20 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

Well when are you available? WE've already worked round me for location, I'm sure we can work round you for dates
OP CJD 20 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

realistically, I think the weekend of 8 december might work for me... I've got to work a couple of weekends in November and I'm busy before then.

is that too late in the year?
 kathrync 20 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

Not for me it's not Gives me plenty of time to sort transport out in advance anyway.
OP CJD 20 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

cool! give me a shout if it's easiest to come down to, say, Leeds or Manchester then get a lift in a plucky yet geriatric Fiesta... right, that's two of us signed up...
 kathrync 20 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

It might be, I'll investigate and see! Thanks
OP CJD 21 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> So I got the TLR photos back this morning
>
>

peak imaging have just rung me to say that the old colour film has gone very peculiar and that they hope I won't be disappointed that it's not crystal clear, and that the film's stuck to the backing paper in places, and there are orange flecks all over the shop. They were a bit baffled when I sounded excited about it. My pics will hopefully be back tomorrow...
 Snax 23 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD: excellent! i love old film, and the results. I've just got some old slide film for cross processing, heading out in an hour for some bright things.
Anonymous 23 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync: any results from your madcap pinhole expt?
 kathrync 24 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to kathrync) any results from your madcap pinhole expt?

No...I finished the film this weekend and will send it off for processing this evening.

The TLR results will go onto my Flickr page tonight
 Blue Straggler 24 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to kathrync)
> [...]
>
> peak imaging have just rung me

Peak are really good for this sort of thing - another reason that I recommend them
 Richard Carter 24 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

if you send me the link i'll whap it on my page thing too
 kathrync 24 Sep 2007

TLR photos now online http://www.flickr.com/photos/mercury81/sets/72157602147013731/

35mm and pinholes to come
Removed User 24 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

nice
OP CJD 24 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

some really nice stuff there. The colour film in mine was pretty much munted and I think I got one halfway nice pic from staithes... still waiting for the B&w to come back though.
 kathrync 24 Sep 2007

Thanks
Removed User 24 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming:

indeed, thats a very nice image
 kathrync 24 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

That's a shame about your colour film Oh well, that's what you get for playing around with old film. I guess B/W is a bit more stable!

Hope you have better luck with the B/W!
OP CJD 24 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

yeah... we'll see. There are two or three really nice images from the colour, but they're of the spooky building in Huddersfield that I was wandering round.
 The Lemming 24 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to kathrync)
>
> I quite like the rope and bar
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mercury81/1434024339/in/set-72157602147013731/

Now that Doc Martin is over I can say why I like it.

I like the strong triangular image which dominates the image giving a good balance between light and dark tones.

I also like the texture and sharp focus of the subject matter in comparison the the finely judged depth of field for the background.

On the whole a bloody good image in my humble oppinion
 kathrync 24 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming:

Thank you very much It's very useful to know why people like an image rather than just to know that they like it!

The bokeh on that camera is really nice!
 The Lemming 24 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

I'm just learning about tags and I've noticed that you have a shed load.

May I ask if this helps or can you have too many descriptive words?

I've only just learnt the joys of Flickr a couple of weeks ago and I have now started to add a few to my images.
OP CJD 24 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming:

tags are just ways of classifying your photos, and making them easier for other flickrers to find.
 The Lemming 24 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

So to get good hits I should choose buzz words?

What if I put sex as a tag, would that guarantee a hit of my images?
 kathrync 24 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
>
>
> What if I put sex as a tag, would that guarantee a hit of my images?

Probably, but it might also result in Flicr taking the "safe" label off your account which means people would have to opt in to see it (I think!).

Yeah, the tags are just about making it easy for people to find photos. The more you put on and the more common they are, the more hits your photos are likely to get.

OP CJD 24 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

And putting your pics in groups - that seems to improve hits. My gallery overall has had lots of hits, but hits on individual images (apart from ones of me, urgh) aren't enormous, relatively speaking)
 kathrync 24 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

Yeah, I don't add mine to groups much because I never seem to have the time to sit and search for relevant groups, but it does help a lot. Maybe I should dedicate an evening to it some time...hmmm.

OP CJD 24 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

yeah - I found a load of groups for the two rollei pics I've put up so far. It's quite a nice way to find pics that inspire me, by bouncing around groups. The 'favourites' thing is one of my most-liked features about Flickr - it's given me real creative stimulation.
In reply to kathrync:

nice nice stuff. seems a pretty sharp lens. it makes me look forward even more to getting Orphan Natashica's results back (finished firt roll this evening, so it goes in the post tomorrow). are yours scans of prints or of negs?
you say the chain is slightly overexposed, at least it isn't "burnt out" so you could adjust it a little if you wanted.
Orphan Natashica's bokh looks GREAT in the viewfinder but I think a lot of my shots were taken at an un-Straggler f/16 cos I had ASA 400 film in. The DOF for a given field of view and aperture, is shallower on 120 than on 35mm of course

flickr says, of your pictures, 'Taken with a Fujifilm SP-3000."

kathrync 24 Sep 2007

Thanks These are scans of the negs, done when they were processed (I'm presuming Fujifilm SP-3000 is the machine they use as I certainly didn't add that!).

I was quite amazed at how sharp they are...I thought focussing on the screen might have caused me difficulties, but apparently not

These are completely untouched apart from cropping the chain because I got ICE's feet in the top, d'oh! Oh, and I cleaned some dust off the one of Staithes. I try to avoid playing with anything else if I can. I don't dislike the chains as they are, it just wasn't quite the effect I was aiming for.

Good luck with Natashica, I look forwards to seeing what you got.
In reply to kathrync:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> Thanks These are scans of the negs, done when they were processed

Did Peak Imaging do them? Or someone else? I was planning to send mine to Peak but am happy to take another recommendation.
 taine 24 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming:

groups are probably a better way of generating some interest in your pictures as you're sharing them with, to some extent, like-minded people. My favourite groups are those which deal with techniques/ideas as I'm very much at the stage of experimenting with lots of ideas and exploring what I want to produce in my photography. I also enjoy the location groups as you get to see how other people interpret and photograph places you live or visit. Also there are lots of groups that just aim to get people looking at your pics and allow you to look at others pics - some of these can be useful if you want some feedback on how well a particular picture works.
 kathrync 24 Sep 2007

No, these were done by a local lab called Trumps on Clerk Street in Edinburgh. I don't think they do mail order though. Their website is here http://www.trumpslab.co.uk/
In reply to kathrync:

Cheers. I think you are right, no mail order. Out of curiosity though, what service did you go for? Process then individual scans afterward? I didn't see a "process and scan at the same time" option on there (I'm doing this with Peak - eep, £15 plus p&p plus the cost of the film to start with, makes you think a bit about each exposure doesn't it!)
 kathrync 24 Sep 2007

Tbh, I don't know...I just walked in and asked for process and scan and that's what I got...I didn't question how it was priced because it didn't seem too extortionate!
Yrmenlaf 24 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming:

I agree it is a very strong image. Personally, I prefer the big chain (but unlike you, I can't articulate why).

Still, five very fine pictures: nothing much wrong with any of them.

Y.
In reply to kathrync:

Fair dinkum, I guess they don't put every price on the site.

I shall poddle off to enjoy the anticipation of waiting for my HP5+ scans to thunk into Troublesome Waters.
OP CJD 26 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

pics from staithes - more to come iirc...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/c_j_d/sets/72157602169807157/

Yrmenlaf 26 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

I especially liked the smashed glass one.

Y.
OP CJD 26 Sep 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

ta - I was pleased with that one too! the strange thing about the holes one is that if you turn it upside down, they look like protruberances rather than holes.
Yrmenlaf 26 Sep 2007
In reply to CJD:

KathrynC had a similar one: I didn't notice all of the beasties in the holes on Kathryn's, but I did notice lots of lovely cross-bedding in the sandstone.

Might not be the same holes, of course....

Y.
OP CJD 26 Sep 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

yeah - I saw hers - it was a really nice pic!
 kathrync 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
>
>
> Might not be the same holes, of course....
>
>

I'm pretty sure they are the same holes I just couldn't get that close to them with the TLR.

Nice pics Clare...I like the graffiti on the white-washed window

K

kathrync 27 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

Rest of mine are up now http://www.flickr.com/photos/mercury81/sets/72157602147013731/

Unfortunately, I hugely over exposed ALL the pinhole ones I obviously over-estimated quite how bright it was that morning! They do look in focus though so the principle works, I just need to get the exposure sorted!

K
 Blue Straggler 27 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

I really like the limpets photos, red rock band, and best of all, Derelict Boat as it is abstract enough that it could be anything the viewer wants it to be (I was viewing on slideshow without captions, and it took me a minute to work it out)
Yrmenlaf 27 Sep 2007

I agree, but also highly rated the coloured chain.

Y.
 kathrync 27 Sep 2007

Cheers I think the limpets and the derelict boat are my favourites too.

Yrmenlaf, you liked the chains in black and white too, didn't you? Maybe that's saying something about the chains rather than my photography!
Yrmenlaf 27 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

It is always a difficult one: to say "I especially like this" sort of implies "I did not like that" They are all excellent 'photos.

I have looked at them again: I loved the "autumnal" colours on the colour one, but they draw attention away from the textures, in my opinion.

Two very fine 'photos.

Y.
 kathrync 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf:
> (In reply to kathrync)
>
> It is always a difficult one: to say "I especially like this" sort of implies "I did not like that"

Does it? That's not how I would interpret that, but I guess it could be interpreted that way.

>
> I have looked at them again: I loved the "autumnal" colours on the colour one, but they draw attention away from the textures, in my opinion.
>
Agreed...that's why I shot it in colour as well as B/W in the first place...well that and it was the first shot with the TLR so I had no idea if the B/W was going to work!

> Two very fine 'photos.

Thanks!

Yrmenlaf 27 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

The B & W also brought to mind that iconic 'photo of Isambard Kingdom Brunel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isambard_Kingdom_Brunel

Y.
 kathrync 27 Sep 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

lol

I seem to remember a distinct lack of men in top hats in Staithes, but next time I see one, I'll be sure to include him in the photo
Yrmenlaf 27 Sep 2007
In reply to kathrync:

I'll bring mine.

Y.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...