UKC

Photoshop - learning from a book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello,

I would like to learn to do a lot more to my photographs using photoshop, can any one recommend me a book that would be good to learn from.

Thanks

Kev
 jools 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Kevin (north east & spain):

Pretty sure this was asked last week, The photoshop book by Scott Kelby.
In reply to jools: I did a seach on the forum & nothing came up. Sorry if I missed it!

Thanks for your help.
 The Lemming 13 Sep 2007

Photoshop for Photographers

http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/
 jools 13 Sep 2007

It was probably buried in another thread, lots of digression lately, lack of focus
 Rob Kennard 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Kevin (north east & spain): I second the recommendation of the Lemming- "Photoshop for for Photographers by Martin Evening"
belperpete 14 Sep 2007
If you want some quick 'tricks' and commonly used techniques, there are a number of great podcast videos online via itunes. I particularly like the Adobe Photoshop Quicktips series. However, although these can make you feel like a real expert, you do have to get down to basics. There are plenty of books and CD tutorials out there, but you can pay a lot of money. If you go for a book, get one with a CD practice disc contained to get you going straight away. Also and I don't condone this, there are a number of downloadable PDF format pirated books (Idiot's Guide etc), as well as CD rips out on the net via Demonoid etc. Remember, not even PShop can turn a crap image into anything decent, you've got to get the camera work right. It can turn a good one into something brilliant though. Good luck
 Dr Avid 14 Sep 2007

Video tutorials and tinterweb have taught me way more than the few very dull books I have read on photoshop.

Good places to start would be....

http://www.radiantvista.com/

(tutorials on photoshop work, mainly for landscapes, but other stuff too, and some of his daily critiques are good as well)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/blended_exposures.shtml

(Good all round photography website....and a good technique too)

Personally, I don't think photoshop is that hard when you understand how to make things happen. One of the most important tools for photography is Layers, and if you can watch through most of the RadiantVista tutorials and Daily Critiques, I think you'll have a pretty good idea on how to operate most of the useful stuff.

And quickly for all the people building a rage that I could be so arrogant as to dismiss books......the reason I don't like books is a lot of the time they explain a technique well, but they are weak when it comes to showing how they could be applied. Whereas tutorials on the internet often have a purpose behind them...or at the least are focused on achieving an aim, rather than explaining a technique for purely understandings sake.In short its easier to understand why you'd want to use layers, rather than just how to use them.

That said I have not read Photoshop for Photographers, and have no illusions that in many areas, my photoshop skills are completely useless. Maybe try some stuff on the web first, and if you get nowhere, or exceed its skillbase, have a look at that book, as it seems highly recommended.

nick simons 14 Sep 2007
In reply to KeI wasted my money on 'Photoshop for Dummies'. It's not for dummies - it assumes you've mastered the basics.

But navigate around the help menu... there's loads of tips and, as you try them out, you get the basics under your belt and become more and more confident.
Ian Hill 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Dr Avid:

Photoshop for Photographers I find entirely useless, it concentrates far too much on what PS can do without actually telling you how to do it or in what circumstances you might want to...

much better are Scott Kelby's books but by far the best I have found is Photoshop Restoration and Retouching by Katrin Eismann - the title is slightly misleading, it's really about using PS techniques on photos whether old or new, not for complete beginners though
 Richard Carter 14 Sep 2007
In reply to The Lemming:

Photoshop for Photographers, I'll third that
Ian Hill 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Richard Carter:

minus one from me so you're only seconding it really...
In reply to Ian Hill:

I agree. I don't like Photoshop for Photographers at all. I've got about 5 others, but the one I'm always going back to - although it's v out of date - is the Photoshop 5/5.5 Wow! Book. If this has been updated for Photoshop CS, then it may still be one of the most useful guides around.
 arctickev 14 Sep 2007

If your not scared of torrents, the lynda tutorials are quite good.

Kev
 ChrisJD 14 Sep 2007

The BEST Photoshop book is:

Photoshop CS2
Studio Techniques
Ben Willmore

Trust me, all other PS books are crap.

If you've got PS CS3, Ben Wilmore's "CS3 - Up to Speed" is excellent at just dealing with the new festures in CS3.

As mentioned before, online video turorials are also great. There are a good set of free resources at radiantvista.com.

Once you crack curves (they are not hard honest),layers & masks, you've got it sorted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...