UKC

NEWS: Dennis Gray in Person: this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 10 Oct 2007
Dennis Gray, past President of the BMC, eternal rope boy, author, and well-travelled climber will be giving a lecture based on 60 years of climbing this weekend in Leeds. Dennis has seen it all. His lecture will feature many of the great figures (and friends of his) of the past six decades; Arthur Dolphin, Don Whillans, Joe Brown, Tom Patey, Dougal Haston......

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Glyn Jones 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: wish I could go - sounds a fantastic show. Strangely, Dennis appeared in my radar when I joined the MMC in 1989 and Bill Sutherland oftheMMC talked about him. He seemed a mythical climbing figure.

I'm envious of those that go to it.

Cheers Mick

Glyn
OP Michael Ryan 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:

Google map search for: Kensington Terrace
Leeds LS6, UK
 Glyn Jones 10 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Google map search for : Canterbury, arse end of climbing in the UK and add "the sheep worrier is looking for somewhere to live" house hunting ME15 and you might ping on me.

This event with Dennis is superb - people should recognise the past to see the future and go and I'm gutted to miss it.

I just wish I could.

Note to people - come to Canterbury - it's great.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

I sat next to DG at a dinner once. All he wanted to talk about was his forthcoming and recent trips to Morocco. I was a bit disappointed at the time (of course I wanted to hear about what Joe B was really like, and such over-worn questions), but looking back his was an entirely proper spirit, raging against the dying of the light. The very spirit, I expect, which led him to have the adventures which make his life worth hearing about.

Wish I could go.

jcm
 Steve Parker 11 Oct 2007

From what I remember of the houses on Midland Road, this gallery could be fairly small. Might be worth trying to find out about booking in advance for anyone travelling any distance.
Sam L 11 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I'm absolutely gutted to be missing this-I've met Dennis a couple of times, and his stories are amazing!
Sam
 MeMeMe 11 Oct 2007
In reply to Steve Parker:

He did the same lecture last weekend and I can confirm the venue is small. It wasn't packed out then, just perfectly full (everyone just got a seat).

It was tickets on the door last time but the drinks were cheap so might be worth arriving early.
Beefcake 16 Oct 2007

Great show; the talk was all about the people, the places, and the climbs. The poetry and jokes were good. The songs and banjo playing were quality.

It was too short though. If Dennis does anything more in-depth any time, you can count me in
Removed User 16 Oct 2007

He came to Glencoe c.17 years ago and did a brilliant talk and slideshow. He stayed with us and we had a few beers afterwards, a really good guy. Definitely worth seeking out.
OP Michael Ryan 16 Oct 2007
In reply to Removed User:

Sound chap is Dennis. He has a great body of work, not just his books, songs, words..... but what he did at the BMC.

A climbing lifer and a climbing giver: has a great love of climbing and of climbers, not just of himself.

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...